Home

nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not

Posted By: 8117 Steve R

nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/27/21 04:41 PM

The beaver are starting to shed pretty good in my area, and I am wondering in todays market if its worth the time to skin them. They are nuisance beaver.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/27/21 09:23 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Can these late spring beavers with wooly underfur still be used in the hatter market?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/27/21 11:28 PM

Don't have to wonder in my state. Illegal to keep anything when doing nuisance work.

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 01:37 AM

That is too bad Jim, its a shame they have to be wasted. Although season is still open here I would not be fur trapping the way these are looking.
Posted By: TrapprChris

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 01:49 AM

Castor is worth taking for sure...
Posted By: Boco

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 04:34 AM

Show pic of fur side and leather side of dried skin.

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 11:44 AM

I did skin them, but I rolled and froze them. I will stretch in the winter. The necks and flanks were blue on the hide, and there were small bits of underfur coming loose when I combed it before skinning. The biggest one will be a 3X so I didn't want to pitch it.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 03:07 PM

13.00 dollars at the auction for my 3x nuisance beaver after they started to shed was my average. Obvious rubs on the fur and leather was turning in spots. Flanks where good, weak area in the neck where they check on most. All my beaver smaller than 2X that where taken at the same time did not sell.

Went from hvy to crap in less than a week in my area this year.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 04:39 PM

I don't know about the fur but the meat, oil sacks and castor would be worth it to me even if I didn't put up the fur.

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 10:15 PM

When the whole back starts to look "rough" I dont skin.
Like was said it starts to break down a little on the neck and then progresses down the back.
I evaluate each beaver pelt on the carcass when their fur is dry and combed.You could get a few rough ones past prime then another one could be good.

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/28/21 10:22 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 04/29/21 11:56 PM

They are easy now, I am still getting one here and there that look pretty good for this time of the year.
Posted By: AJE

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 05/08/21 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I don't know about the fur but the meat, oil sacks and castor would be worth it to me even if I didn't put up the fur.

The tail too
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 05/16/21 05:22 PM

These southern warm season beavers are bought as hatters, so I'm sure your Wisconsin beavers are.

Sell them skint and frozen....folded long lengthways in half...fur out.

Re: nuisance beaver shedders...skin or not - 05/17/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
These southern warm season beavers are bought as hatters, so I'm sure your Wisconsin beavers are.

Sell them skint and frozen....folded long lengthways in half...fur out.

Dont know who is feeding you that line,but the felting process requires pelts with underfur.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums