Home

1st otter put up

Posted By: Yukon John

1st otter put up - 03/06/22 01:27 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1st attempt...I don't know how you guys do many of these in a day! I'm good for just 1! Fleshing the tail was a real B! I couldn't figure out how to mount it on my beam so it would stay put!
Posted By: skunkly

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/06/22 02:43 AM

Looks great! Yeah, those tails suck even after you do more then a couple smile
Posted By: mike mason

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/06/22 12:05 PM

Great job!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/06/22 02:55 PM

Perfect.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/06/22 08:36 PM

Nice job John, make yourself a little block for the end of your beam and you can hold the hide anywhere you want.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/06/22 09:31 PM

Your otter looks great! That tail is super tough
Just did my first one. They are tough.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/07/22 12:01 AM

Excellent job. To facilitate ease in fleshing the tail, with a sharp knife or scapel slit and cross hatch the beads of fat being careful not to cut the leather.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/07/22 12:55 AM

Good job on fleshing and boarding.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/07/22 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Excellent job. To facilitate ease in fleshing the tail, with a sharp knife or scapel slit and cross hatch the beads of fat being careful not to cut the leather.

I will definitely take that into account! I did another one today, it was much easier (as a whole), it had been in the freezer. As far as the tail went it was still a pain, but I clamped it on the beam made a pretty big difference. Thanks all!

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/07/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by newfox1
Nice job John, make yourself a little block for the end of your beam and you can hold the hide anywhere you want.

Yeah I've seen those on here, I'm gonna make one.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/11/22 07:01 PM

Very nice job on the otter,good shape and nice and clean.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/11/22 07:27 PM

Thanks! I've since found out that I need to pull the back legs around to the back, and cut a shorter window. Guess I'll do that on my 3rd one, cuz I've done 2 this way.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/11/22 07:58 PM

Your Ok by leaving the legs on the belly side.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/11/22 08:09 PM

The way you have it is perfect,the legs are skirted properly,straight across from the base of the tail with no pleating.You could make the window a bit shorter and more rounded.
Pinning or sewing the front legholes is an option but fine the way you have them.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/11/22 10:58 PM

Looks good. You will get better with each one you do. I know I don't cuss near as much as I did with the 1st couple.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/12/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
The way you have it is perfect,the legs are skirted properly,straight across from the base of the tail with no pleating.You could make the window a bit shorter and more rounded.
Pinning or sewing the front legholes is an option but fine the way you have them.

I actually tied the front legs and after 2 (I think) days cut them off, they're not closed, but have a very minimal hole. Thanks for the input, I couldn't do what I do without you guys!

Lol backroadsarcher, couldn't have said it better myself!

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/25/22 03:44 AM

Dang it! I tried to bunch up the fur on the tail, and the honches and now the leather is wrinkled. My plan is to have it tanned, will this be an issue? Or, could it go ahead and shrink according to plan on its own?
Posted By: claycreech

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/25/22 11:40 AM

That will not affect the pelt if it’s going to be tanned.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/25/22 11:02 PM

That's what I was hoping, thanks. Just trying some different things to get a better feel for this stuff.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/26/22 01:38 AM

We are skinning and putting up 50 or so otter tomorrow I'll try and get some pictures.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/28/22 11:29 PM

Wheres the pics?
Posted By: vermontster

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/28/22 11:53 PM

Newfox1 could show a picture of the block or explain it. Thanks

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/29/22 03:32 PM

Wheres the pics?

Senior moment left the camera home. And my flip phone dosen't take decent pictures. We started around 9: 00 and I left around noon.
We did about 50 otter. When I left there were about 10 left to flesh and board. A few were so freezer burnt you couldn't skin them.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/30/22 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by vermontster

Newfox1 could show a picture of the block or explain it. Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is the one I made, works good but needs some tweaking. Should work like a compression fitting.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/31/22 12:21 AM

Vermontster, I’m in the house I’ll take a pic for you tomorrow.

Re: 1st otter put up - 03/31/22 09:07 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Vermontster, my block is 6”x3”x1”1/4, I put the hide over the end of the beam then put the block over the hide and lean against it, it binds the hide and prevents it from moving, my beam point doesn’t stick past the end of the block when the hide is under it, someone on here showed this trick awhile ago.

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 01:44 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#4 I'm getting better, and worse at the same time! Lol

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 01:55 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Vermontster, my block is 6”x3”x1”1/4, I put the hide over the end of the beam then put the block over the hide and lean against it, it binds the hide and prevents it from moving, my beam point doesn’t stick past the end of the block when the hide is under it, someone on here showed this trick awhile ago.

I like yours a lot better! I worked mine over a little bit this evening. My new Lee Steinmeier knife has made the biggest difference though!

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 12:07 PM

Your otter looks good John, if I don’t leave the feet on I rubber band the front legs and cut them off, never thought of a clothespin.

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 02:33 PM

Just happened to think of it...we'll see.

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 04:54 PM

No need to close up the front leg holes. When It gets tanned they will just open up to the way they were.

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 04:56 PM

Good to know, thanks! Its more a presentation thing for me. And OCB! Lol

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/01/22 06:24 PM

I understand what your doing.

Re: 1st otter put up - 04/02/22 04:20 PM

Your otter looks good John, if I don’t leave the feet on I rubber band the front legs and cut them off, never thought of a clothespin.

Keep doing it that way...not pleased with the clothes pins.

Re: 1st otter put up - 11/26/22 09:49 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1st put up of this season...shoulda knocked the rust off with something else, lol. Made a couple holes, but oh well.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/02/22 03:13 AM

Your getting better John.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/03/22 01:37 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you for this, I have been struggling to keep my fur pulled tight which seems to be the trick with getting a good fleshing on it. I have a terrible setup right now, but this will help me out more than anything.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/04/22 06:14 PM

Not to hijack this thread but where do you measure to to determine the length of the otter? Base of tail?

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/04/22 07:48 PM

YES, base of tail.
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/04/22 09:10 PM

I put up a couple of otters. What makes the tail turn dark? Not fleshed good enough?

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/05/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bowwhitetail
I put up a couple of otters. What makes the tail turn dark? Not fleshed good enough?

That's what I suspect...most of mine are that way. They're a real booger to get all of the grease off without cutting the tail to pieces. Btw hijack all you want!

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/05/22 03:54 PM

Please explain how most of you flesh an otter tail. I don't have any problems fleshing an otter tail In fact I think It's pretty easy.
Coon tails also dry darker then the hide when flashed. But Its not something to worry about.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/05/22 04:39 PM

I split the two beads of fat that run down the tail lengthways so the tailskin lays flat before fleshing.
I like to frostscrape otter,and it only takes around 10 seconds to frost scrape the tail clean.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/05/22 09:22 PM

Jeez, and here all this time I haven't really even been fleshing the tails at all, just a quick pass or two with the fleshing knife....I didn't know you guys did it more in depth like that.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/05/22 09:43 PM

I use my fleshing knife and take off one edge at a time. With a good sharp knife It takes about 3 or 4 seconds to do the edges. Then It's right down the middle to finish. A little clean up and your good to go.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/06/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Please explain how most of you flesh an otter tail. I don't have any problems fleshing an otter tail In fact I think It's pretty easy.
Coon tails also dry darker then the hide when flashed. But Its not something to worry about.

I don't reckon its HOW I do it...its the fact that I've only done 5 or 6 of them in my lifetime. Not all of us have been doing this since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, lol. The last one I did I forgot about scoring the fat, I need to try that next time.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/06/22 01:35 AM

You don't really have to score the tail area. But If that works for you go for It.

Just stay off the center of the tail til you take off the two edges. Once you get the hang of It It's pretty easy.
But then I put up fur for NAFA for about 10 years and to make any money you need to be fast.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/06/22 02:09 AM

You don't really have to score the tail area. But If that works for you go for It.

Just stay off the center of the tail til you take off the two edges. Once you get the hang of It It's pretty easy.
But then I put up fur for NAFA for about 10 years and to make any money you need to be fast.

I wouldnt be bragging about working for NAFA-they went belly up,lol.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/06/22 02:54 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Re: 1st otter put up - 12/06/22 02:54 PM

I wouldnt be bragging about working for NAFA-they went belly up,lol.

It was a good deal while It lasted.

Re: 1st otter put up - 01/16/23 02:26 AM

You can close legholes on otter like this.
if you have a good quality glovers needle it doesnt take any longer than pinning.

[Linked Image]

Proper skirting and window.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1st otter put up - 01/16/23 02:35 AM

Very nice, I've been wanting to try sewing those legs, just haven't yet. Been sewing other things though with some limited success.

Re: 1st otter put up - 01/16/23 05:49 AM

You can close legholes on otter like this.
if you have a good quality glovers needle it doesnt take any longer than pinning.

[Linked Image]

Proper skirting and window.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Excellent post re otter put up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums