Home

Confusion on tanning.

Posted By: LDW

Confusion on tanning. - 03/07/22 01:26 AM

I'm confused on how to handle fur that is to be tanned. Do you salt after skinning, or after fleshing? Do you flesh and dry like normal before being sent in? I'm referring to fur that will be sent to commercial tanners. Can you leave fur out skins left fur in if tanning? I have read so many ways, I'm not sure how to handle them.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Confusion on tanning. - 03/07/22 01:59 AM

It's my understanding that you flesh and stretch fur in. Box it up, then ship it...I'm interested too, as I will be having some done in the near future.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Confusion on tanning. - 03/07/22 03:21 AM

Flesh and dry is the simplest way to do it. Always a good idea to check with the tannery you are wanting to use and see how they prefer them. If you want a taxidermy style tan, they'll likely need to be salted, again check with the tannery.

No point in turning skins fur out if you are getting them tanned.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Confusion on tanning. - 03/07/22 05:26 PM

Long hair pelts, like coyote, fox, fisher, can be left fur side in.

Most trappers send stretched and dried pelts because that is the way they normally process fur.

Some tanneries, like Moyle, accepts pelts that have been salted but they need to be dried after salting. They will not accept sloppy wet pelts.

If you are going to salt pelts/hides, you do so after fleshing. The disadvantage of salting pelts for trappers is that the pelt needs to be thoroughly salted. Every nook and crease needs to be salted. You can’t just throw a bunch of salt on the pelt, it has to be worked in.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Confusion on tanning. - 03/07/22 08:36 PM

Are you talking about furs or hides ?
Fur should be fleshed and dried before sending in. No salt is necessary.

Hides need to be fleshed and salted and dried.
Flesh then apply a layer of salt to the leather side.
Let it sit a day or so then shake it off and put fresh salt on the hide and let it sit again a day or 2.
Should be ready to shake off salt and hang to dry out before shipping.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums