Home

Making possum leather

Posted By: washxc

Making possum leather - 03/10/22 09:48 PM

Anyone here made possum leather? I've got a couple smaller possums that scraped too hard on the fleshing beam. I had them in the freezer and even though they were thawed, no matter how light I pushed I rolled off more than needed down to the roots. So I'm going to try making leather, I've heard it can be pretty nice. I've got a wood stove, so was thinking about soaking the hides in water and wood ash to get the hair off and then going through the pickle and alum tanning process.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Making possum leather - 03/11/22 07:04 PM

That will work.
Instead of a straight alum tan I would consider a combination alum,veg tan to toughen the leather,unless you want white leather.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 01:10 AM

It is very thin, but one could make something out of it. I still can't understand why possums aren't coveted, their fur is as soft as anything I've come across (in my limited experience)!
Posted By: Keith Daniels

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
It is very thin, but one could make something out of it. I still can't understand why possums aren't coveted, their fur is as soft as anything I've come across (in my limited experience)!

I agree, the problem is the skin is so thin that it doesn't hold up well in a garment.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 02:24 AM

I can see that, just seems like such a waste. Food for thought.

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 11:50 AM

Thanks all. Boco, what would you add to the aluminum sulphate/salt/washing soda mix to make the leather tougher? Yukon, I know there's a PA guy that sells possums to a fella who lines the inside of his leather bags with possum leather due to the softness.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by washxc
Thanks all. Boco, what would you add to the aluminum sulphate/salt/washing soda mix to make the leather tougher? Yukon, I know there's a PA guy that sells possums to a fella who lines the inside of his leather bags with possum leather due to the softness.

Quebracho.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Making possum leather - 03/12/22 04:06 PM

Ive always thought they'd make good chamois cloths
Posted By: martyd

Re: Making possum leather - 05/10/22 02:56 AM

When I raised mink years ago and sold through NAFA a buyer that bought my ranch mink told me he bought 10,000 possum during the auction. I said what the heck for ? He said we tan them hair off and make work gloves for manufacturing companies. He said it was a money maker for him. I wish I could have seen what they looked like. MD

Re: Making possum leather - 06/22/22 11:41 AM

Well Sniper, I think you're on to something with the chamois cloth. Have you seen the cost of shop towels these days?! I even left a little fur on the edges in case you've got to blow your nose.

Seriously though, it was fun and the leather can and will definitely be used in some projects. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pierce

Re: Making possum leather - 06/22/22 10:39 PM

Is that a combination tan or straight alum?

Re: Making possum leather - 06/23/22 01:21 AM

I followed bocos method. Pickle and then aluminum sulfate soak and then a leather softening oil. It's quite supple. Next time I'll use hydrated lime to slip the fur so it's cleaner.
Posted By: Pierce

Re: Making possum leather - 06/23/22 09:56 AM

Thanks!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums