Home

What's a good fleshing knife?

Posted By: Guss

What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/17/22 06:27 PM

I have a necked 600 I bought a few years ago. The knife is dull on both sides so I want to buy a good one that's sharp & dull .
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/17/22 09:51 PM

There are many styles on the market dull, sharp, curved and straight blades. I use a cheap, dull $25 two handled fleshing knife with a slight curve to it which will handle most animals. I want to push the fat off instead of cutting it. If I need to cut anything, I use a sharp knife. Whatever fleshing knife you choose you have to learn how to use that knife. IT's ALL ABOUT TECNIQUE AND LOT"s OF PRACTICE.

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/17/22 11:09 PM

I have one of those cheap knife also.
Posted By: TEpnw

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/18/22 01:53 AM

I started with a cheaper knife and eventually got a necker 600. Used it for a while and it always did the job, mine was sharp on one side and dull on the other. Just got a Steinmeyer parallel knife and really like it. Really comfortable to use, once again it’s sharp on one side and dull on the other.

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/18/22 11:47 AM

My necked came dull on both sides. It's tough to flesh a coon neck with a dull blade.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/18/22 07:33 PM

I really enjoy my post fleshing knife. High quality steel that is very easy to keep sharp
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/24/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by TEpnw
I started with a cheaper knife and eventually got a necker 600. Used it for a while and it always did the job, mine was sharp on one side and dull on the other. Just got a Steinmeyer parallel knife and really like it. Really comfortable to use, once again it’s sharp on one side and dull on the other.

X2, my "dull" side is almost sharp though (the way it came)...GREAT KNIFE!!! Even better customer service!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/25/22 12:51 AM

The red handled Wiebe is a surprisingly good knife. I have a Necker 600 and a Steinmeyer, but I reach for the Weibe most often.
Posted By: LDW

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/26/22 02:18 AM

I have 2 Steinmeyer knives. His regular and his mini knife. I'm really liking the mini, just fits me better. I made a mistake and bought a necker for my first one. I think the back of a butter knife is sharper. That was a waste of money
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/27/22 12:36 AM

I have 2 Necker 600's. Both razor sharp on one side and dull on the other. Bought them both used. Very reasonable but they work so I don't know if I will be switching anytime soon.
Posted By: VictorD

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 05/27/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by LDW
I have 2 Steinmeyer knives. His regular and his mini knife. I'm really liking the mini, just fits me better. I made a mistake and bought a necker for my first one. I think the back of a butter knife is sharper. That was a waste of money

I did the same thing and love the mini. great knives and great guy.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 06/07/22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
I have a necked 600 I bought a few years ago. The knife is dull on both sides so I want to buy a good one that's sharp & dull .

This may help?
Posted By: Parvo1985

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/29/23 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by LDW

I haven’t touched my original parallel knife since I got the mini. It is just awesome!!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/29/23 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Guss

Well get one of the dull sides sharpened. Find a professional knife sharpener and you will be good to go with that Necker 600.

The convex side is the one you want to get sharpened.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/29/23 09:17 AM

If you want a new knife look no further than one of Lee Steinmeyer's knives. Great knife and a great guy too.

If you like your Necker, take the time to sharpen it. Necker makes a good knife.

Regardless of which knife you use, they all need to be maintained to produce a well fleshed fur.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/30/23 09:39 AM

Started with a necker 600 , then bought a post , but bought a knife the style of a necker from Lee Steinmeyer and have never touched my post 2 again his are the Rolls Royce of the fleshing knives IMO ... Jon

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/30/23 08:12 PM

I tried a caribou didn't like it to sharp and didn't feel good in my hands. I guess I try to sharpen the neecker.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 02/01/23 03:45 PM

I've used a necker 600 for longer than I can remember. I had a fox ranch and raised thousands of fox , they can get as fatty as coon. That is where you really learn how to handle a knife. Also did taxidermy for many years using the same knife, bear, deer,elk, wolf, down to weasel. The knife never fails me. Retired now and still use it alot.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 02/06/23 04:54 PM

Buy one off Lee you won't be disappointed
Posted By: 20scout

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 02/09/23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Keystonekiller
Buy one off Lee you won't be disappointed

X2!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 02/09/23 03:28 AM

X3
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 02/10/23 09:34 PM

Over the years i've used just about everything. I now settle on the Necker 500 for most fleshing
Posted By: Hunt_with_dogs

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 11/20/23 08:47 PM

I just upgraded to a Post knife but haven't used it yet... I am looking for a second knife however, and thought of getting a second Post. Now I am curious to know why Lee's knife is better than a Post??? I would certainly go with the Lee S. knife if it was a big upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 11/29/23 11:59 PM

I have 2 neckers. I like how they feel. Both are sharp one side a dull the other. I do all my fur with them.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 11/30/23 05:18 AM

I use a Zeph and a Caribou.
Different knives but I use both.
Zeph is stiff,Caribou flexible,both take a razor edge

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 11/30/23 10:51 PM

I broke a caribou in half to thin but sharp.
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/01/23 08:10 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with a post or a steinmeyere knife.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/02/23 12:23 AM

Take a file to the Neckers concave dull side. Use that file to square up that side. It will make a difference.
Posted By: Old coy

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/06/23 02:57 PM

Beav’s suggestion on squaring up the dull side is a good place to start, no matter which flesher you have.
Posted By: Squash

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/17/23 01:34 PM

I have a Post , a friend let me borrow his Necker 600. Tried it and it didn’t take me long to go back to my Post knife.
I like the Post much better , not as much curve in the blade as the Necker.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/18/23 01:26 PM

I also have a post knife and love it.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/18/23 10:38 PM

Post, not sure it gets any better.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/18/23 11:13 PM

Post is a good knife and a step above most IMO but mine rarely ever gets used anymore. The Lee Steinmeyer Parallel is my go to now.

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/22/23 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Post, not sure it gets any better.

Oh, it does!
Posted By: Jon248

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 12/29/23 03:12 PM

X4 Steinmeyer Mini
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/02/24 12:25 AM

I went from a Necker to a Caribou and never looked back. Saying that, I'm not a huge fan of Caribou's pelting knives. Their beaver knives are first class though.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/02/24 01:30 PM

I’ve got at least one of every knife mentioned. The Steinmeyer and the Post are my favorite. By far.
Posted By: lechwe

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/04/24 01:30 AM

Just ordered a mini. Anyone in the Lansing Michigan area want to teach me how to use it correctly laugh
Posted By: Boco

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/04/24 01:59 AM

I like my Zeph
Post is a close as you will get to a Zeph.

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/04/24 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by lechwe
Just ordered a mini. Anyone in the Lansing Michigan area want to teach me how to use it correctly laugh

Start with the "dull" side. If you learn to use it, you'll rarely need the sharp side.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/04/24 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by lechwe

Start with the "dull" side. If you learn to use it, you'll rarely need the sharp side.

Couldn't imagine using just the dull side on beaver.
You can do it but it's tough. I did some early in life without a sharp side but I had it squared up and almost as sharp as a hockey skate blade

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/04/24 08:08 PM

You can dang near shave with the dull side of a Steinmeyer (sp)!
Posted By: wamp

Re: What's a good fleshing knife? - 01/15/24 02:06 AM

Just bought a carIbou this week after using an necker 600 a for the last 20 years.
Don't know anything about the higher end knives which I had bought this 20 years ago.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums