Home

Decreased for coon skin.

Posted By: Guss

Decreased for coon skin. - 06/14/22 03:05 PM

I washed the hide in dawn dish soap and that did not take all the grease out!! So what do I need??.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Decreased for coon skin. - 06/14/22 11:50 PM

Soak it in white gas for a couple days(OUTDOORS)
The gas will completely de-fat the skin.You will see the gobs of fat in the bottom of the bucket,pail or glass jar.
Let the skin hang outdoors in the wind for the gas to completely evaporate,then wash rinse and if already pickled tan it or if already tanned,lube the leather.
If you use ordinary gas or kerosene, it is hard to get that smell out of the fur.
If you use flammable solvents to de-grease skins or clean fur,never do it indoors and make sure when outdoors to keep away from spark etc.varsol works as well and is safer than gas or kerosene.
I would only recomend doing smaller skins since it is not cost effective to do,say a bearhide.You can re use the solvents over and over again,as the fat is separated and can be discarded.

There are other solvents available from tanning supply companys that will probably do a fair job on larger skins.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Decreased for coon skin. - 06/15/22 12:40 AM

Thanks alot. I want to tan this hide.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Decreased for coon skin. - 06/15/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
I washed the hide in dawn dish soap and that did not take all the grease out!! So what do I need??.

The warmer the water the better when cleaning/degreasing
© 2024 Trapperman Forums