Home

Cleaning wire stretchers

Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/23/22 03:26 PM

Anyone use CLR to clean their stretchers and if so does it need to be washed off after to prevent any damage to the fur?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 02:43 AM

Rusty or what? I would think a wire wheel would do the trick.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 01:08 PM

WD40 on a rag will take off surface dirt,rust and grease.
It wont hurt the fur.I use it occasionaly to remove a rust mark on a dry beaver pelt fur.

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 02:32 PM

I used some of my stretchers in tanning last season so the salt did some damage to a few.
Posted By: garart

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 04:05 PM

I have used 4 aut (0000) steel wool, with moderate pressure to clean off lightly rusted rat stretchers. If the galvanized coating is gone or thin, I lightly spray them down with clear sealer (spray can type).
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 05:09 PM

I was gonna suggest steel wool with a little wd 40, but didn't want to be an ignorant idiot. This way I'm just ignorant, lol.

Re: Cleaning wire stretchers - 10/24/22 06:16 PM

I had surgery on my hand about 6 months ago. Im pretty much back to normal but doing a scrubbing motion for a long period really bothers my hand and im trying to save the strength in my hand this week for setting traps as season opens tomorrow. I used the clr and it seemed to work great, I didn’t have to scrub too hard and it wiped off easily and I just wiped it down with a paper towel and it didn’t leave a residue or like an oily feeling. Just wanted to make sure I don’t need to scrub that off now
© 2024 Trapperman Forums