Home

Scrapping a moose hide

Posted By: The Beav

Scrapping a moose hide - 10/26/22 04:02 AM

So a buddy of mine shot this moose and he was asking me to flesh it for him. He tells me that he salted the hide and then froze It. Is this going to make the job of fleshing that hide more of a problem. Just the size has me thinking about not doing It.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 10/26/22 04:07 AM

What does he want to do with it?
If it is already salted he should have already cut the large chunks of meat and fat off already,if not, salting is useless in those spots.
If he is getting it tanned with the hair on at a tannery,he can send it salted.
If he is going to tan it himself he can stretch it and dry it and thin the leather by dryscraping.

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 10/26/22 04:18 AM

He want's to get It tanned and use It as a rug hair on. I'm sure that he didn't remove any fat or meat. Will salting It make It harder to flesh? Will the tannery do the fleshing?
He contacted some one and they quoted him around $$600.00 to do the job. He didn't want to spend that kind of money.
There Is no way he would do any fleshing thinning or tanning himself.

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 10/26/22 05:07 AM

Just cut the large chunks of meat and fat off with a knife,and re salt it and ship it to the tannery.
it wont dry out when salted,if it is kept rolled up.
A salted whole moosehide weighs a LOT.
Have fun.

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 10/26/22 10:11 PM

I talked to Yoast fur dressers and they said that since the hide hadn't been fleshed before salting and then frozen there could be a problem with hair slippage.
I think I'm going to pass on this job.

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 10/27/22 04:08 AM

Just tell him to clean skin the next one,salt it and ship it to the tanner himself.
No fleshing necessary.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 11/03/22 03:47 PM

If the flesh that was left on the hide wasn't too thick and it was salted well it should be okay. If otherwise the salt may not have penatrated to the skin.
Thaw it out and check for slippage on the hair side opposite areas that look suspect, the smell test will tell you a lot.
If it looks okay then re-salt, let it dry just a bit so it's no longer drippy and then ship to tannery.
Let the tannery do the fleshing.

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 11/03/22 05:49 PM

Thanks we will do that.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Scrapping a moose hide - 11/25/22 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
He want's to get It tanned and use It as a rug hair on. I'm sure that he didn't remove any fat or meat. Will salting It make It harder to flesh? Will the tannery do the fleshing?
He contacted some one and they quoted him around $$600.00 to do the job. He didn't want to spend that kind of money.
There Is no way he would do any fleshing thinning or tanning himself.

Possibly. It depends if it dried the flesh. I don't know how bad a skinner this fellow is, but there is little fat to worry about on a bull moose here and when I skin them there is little flesh left on the hide that salt can't penetrate. If he left thick flesh on and salted and then froze in a short time period ( a day or two ) in reasonable mild temperatures, the freezing would likely prevent hair slippage in these improperly fleshed areas.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums