Home

First Time

Posted By: Dan OConnor

First Time - 11/09/22 11:53 PM

This is our first year trapping and we got our first raccoon. This is the first time I've cased and fleshed a pelt. I brushed him out then skinned him. After that I flipped it fur out and rolled it nose to tail, then bagged and in the fridge overnight to harden the fat. Then fleshing and boarding.

I'd love any feedback on the process I used and the final result. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 12:29 AM

You need to get the saddle off. Thats the hard gristley part behind the ears and down the neck area. Probably need to use the sharp side of your knife. Make sure to push, not slice sideways. Maybe a touch more fleshing down by the skirt also. Not bad for your first time, doesn't look like it went through a chipper shredder.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 02:10 AM

Cut the front legs off at the body.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Cut the front legs off at the body.
And nail or sew them closed.
Posted By: Dan OConnor

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 12:31 PM

What is the purpose of cutting the legs off and sewing them shut?

I will try to get the saddle off but it has been boarded for about 18 hours. Can I do more harm than help if its dried?

Also my plan for this one is to have it sent out to be tanned and keep it as a wall hanger since its our first catch. How would it be affected by not fleshing enough?

Thanks for all the feedback.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan OConnor

I will try to get the saddle off but it has been boarded for about 18 hours. Can I do more harm than help if its dried?

Also my plan for this one is to have it sent out to be tanned and keep it as a wall hanger since its our first catch. How would it be affected by not fleshing enough?

Thanks for all the feedback.

You should try tanning it yourself. The skin looks good, raccoons are tough because of how much fat they have. Looking forward to seeing more from you, year 2 for me starts in 10 days. Great job!
Posted By: mike mason

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 04:17 PM

1st time, not bad need belly board.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dan OConnor
General put up appearance
Posted By: Boco

Re: First Time - 11/10/22 10:13 PM

That extra flesh/fat/grissel in the neck area will hamper the drying process.depending on heat and humidity that can lead to hair slippage.
I would try to shave off the meat/flesh/grissel in the neck/shoulder area and anywhere else the skin is not drying.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: First Time - 11/11/22 12:52 AM

If you are going to market it maybe pull the back legs around towards the tail. This brings more hair into the inspection window. Agree also a little more work from the ears to the shoulders.
Posted By: TrapprChris

Re: First Time - 11/12/22 02:48 AM

Check out Coon Creek Outdoors on youtube Stu has some great fur handling vids for each species. Skinnung fleshing and boarding. Not only does he show how, he explains why. Ive reccomended his fur handling series to many new trappers at our trappers ed classes over the years.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: First Time - 11/12/22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TrapprChris
Check out Coon Creek Outdoors on youtube Stu has some great fur handling vids for each species. Skinnung fleshing and boarding. Not only does he show how, he explains why. Ive reccomended his fur handling series to many new trappers at our trappers ed classes over the years.

TRUTH!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: First Time - 11/14/22 02:03 AM

This is how I do mine

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ebfarmer

Re: First Time - 11/15/22 10:16 PM

That looks much better than my first ones. Dont't forget the belly board, you will regret it when it comes time to get it off the board.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: First Time - 11/18/22 06:22 PM

Welcome to the trapping fraternity Dan O'Connor
Posted By: jalstat

Re: First Time - 01/04/23 09:40 AM

Don't worry sir after you do a thousand it gets easier we've all been there... Jon
© 2024 Trapperman Forums