Home

Coyote Fleas

Posted By: Slush

Coyote Fleas - 12/05/22 09:16 PM

What is everyone doing to deal with coyote fleas when you bring them home? Most of the coyotes I snare are frozen solid when I go check snares.
I bring them home and hang in the garage until they are thawed enough to skin. You'd think all the fleas or whatever would be dead or have left the coyote but it seems like once they start to warm up the little buggers come back to life.
If I shoot them, I usually put them in a garbage bag and fumigate with RAID and leave in the bag for about 15 minutes.
do I really have to fumigate every coyote I bring home? it seems like they should be free of pests after freezing solid.
Anyway....I'm rambling now. Im just curious what every one else sees.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/05/22 09:58 PM

Bag and tailpipe?
Don't like the Raid small so we hardly worry about them.
Spouse finds a few in his beard on occasion the day of skinning, lol.
Posted By: IllinoisTraps58

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/08/22 12:41 AM

When I skin coyotes and coons I put the tail in a vice grip holder then I spray where I’m going to start skinning. I use Raid flying insect and get the base of the tail and around the bung hole. Then I brush it in with an old style Scotch comb. I’ll do something else for 5 minutes or so then proceed skinning. Occasionally it will need a second blast. I’ve also had fleas on a couple beavers this season.
Posted By: Old coy

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/08/22 03:49 PM

I skin on the tailgate while carcass is warm. When the pelt comes off it’s sprayed with flea spray and bagged. By the time I get home fleas are dead.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/08/22 04:38 PM

Never worried about It.
Posted By: Oysterman

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/18/22 05:23 PM

You could treat your clothes with permethrin. Kills tics, I imagine it would kill fleas. For raccoons I skin them, flesh them, then throw them in the freezer. When they come out of the freezer I thaw them, pickle them, degrease them, then tan them. Any flea which would survive this process will spell doom for us all.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/18/22 06:16 PM

I never worried about em. They don’t hurt anything.
Posted By: Slush

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/20/22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Oysterman
You could treat your clothes with permethrin. Kills tics, I imagine it would kill fleas. For raccoons I skin them, flesh them, then throw them in the freezer. When they come out of the freezer I thaw them, pickle them, degrease them, then tan them. Any flea which would survive this process will spell doom for us all.

Haha!

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/24/22 11:50 AM

I use a Flea Trap in fur shed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJE

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/25/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I never worried about em. They don’t hurt anything.

Don't they end up on you, your vehicle or house?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Coyote Fleas - 12/26/22 12:56 AM

I bet bobcat have fleas just like yotes
© 2024 Trapperman Forums