Home

bobcat skinning

Posted By: patrapper1989

bobcat skinning - 01/06/23 10:19 AM

ive caught my first bobcat and would like to get it tanned. im wondering if its necessary to remove ear cartlidge on cats for tanning and also if i skin out the feet do i leave the front legs a "tube" and only split it open a little before the pad or split it up to the armpit area? Ive seen a few videos skinning the feet but didnt show how far to split the leg. Any other advice or problem areas on cats to look out for? Thanks for any advice
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: bobcat skinning - 01/06/23 01:22 PM

ON the fronts feet I skin to just above the "thumb" pad. 3" or so up from the heel. Then insert my hanger to hold the shape until it dries. Cartilage will be fine either way.
Posted By: Boco

Re: bobcat skinning - 01/06/23 04:44 PM

For taxi I make a cut on the front legs from the wrist to the elbow.
Cut the bone at the wrist and leave the footbones in the foot when the sin is off the carcass.
Then I skin out the feet by separating each toe bone and skinning one toe at a time.
Then I trim off the pad fat with a poultry shears,and then board and dry-you dont have to turn the legs and feet when drying or even the whole skin if you are sending it to the taxi or tanner yourself.
If you are selling on the taxi market,turn the skin and the feet fur out.
Posted By: k snow

Re: bobcat skinning - 01/08/23 12:21 AM

Thanks for the tip about skinning out the feet Boco. Tried it on a Mink today, worked really nice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums