Home

Cartlidge removal

Posted By: jalstat

Cartlidge removal - 01/23/23 01:23 PM

How do you guys do this I can’t figure out a quick way of doing this. I’ve watched videos and it never seems to work out to my satisfaction…Jon
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/23/23 10:08 PM

Me neither, took me 45 minutes to do a badger the other day. Don't know if I needed to, but I'm gonna have it tanned, so figured what the hay! As far as coyotes go, I haven't got the hang of them yet. I'm thinking it's an experience thing.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/23/23 10:44 PM

5 different people will show you 5 different ways.
I'm not fast by any means but I use my triangle pelter knife to cut around the cartilage andd fingers to peel the flat out ear from it
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 02:36 AM

Check out Stu’s video on Cartlidge removal. Coon Creek Outdoors. Eric

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 03:03 AM

Thanks guys
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 05:17 AM

There is no need to remove the cartilage from the ears to keep them from slipping,All you have to do is run your thumb up between the butt and the tip(3/4 of the way is probably good) to separate it from the back of the earskin,and pull it inside out to dry-turn them back when you turn the pelt.
Very easy to do on fox,tougher on a wolf-you need good hand strength(which most trappers have from setting traps).
On bears you have to separate it with a knife.

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 06:48 AM

Thanks Boco

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
There is no need to remove the cartilage from the ears to keep them from slipping,All you have to do is run your thumb up between the butt and the tip(3/4 of the way is probably good) to separate it from the back of the earskin,and pull it inside out to dry-turn them back when you turn the pelt.
Very easy to do on fox,tougher on a wolf-you need good hand strength(which most trappers have from setting traps).
On bears you have to separate it with a knife.

Is it necessary smaller eared critters?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 02:25 PM

No they normally dry just fine-only on the heavier eared animals.

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/24/23 06:23 PM

Thanks

Re: Cartlidge removal - 01/27/23 12:22 AM

So...if I'm gonna send a coon, or badger to get tanned, I should leave the cartilage in tact?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums