Home

Otter put up

Posted By: Black dogs

Otter put up - 03/26/23 10:51 PM

It’s been almost 10 years since I’ve trapped an otter, then all the sudden I’ve had two in a week! Anyway, here’s my put up, critique away lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Otter put up - 03/26/23 11:08 PM

Looks OK from the back side unless the white spots are fat, then it would need a bit more fleshing. What about the belly side, front legs tucked in or sewn shut and inspection window?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Otter put up - 03/26/23 11:11 PM

Looks like It needs a lot more fleshing. Those light spots must be fat and gristle. It needs to come off.
The tail dosen't look like it's been fleshed. At least It looks like the middle of the tail hasn't been fleshed.
And the base of the tail has a very thick gristle and that needs to be shaved down to the leather.

I would get It off the board and start over.
Sorry but that's how I see It.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Otter put up - 03/27/23 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Looks like It needs a lot more fleshing. Those light spots must be fat and gristle. It needs to come off.
The tail dosen't look like it's been fleshed. At least It looks like the middle of the tail hasn't been fleshed.
And the base of the tail has a very thick gristle and that needs to be shaved down to the leather.

I would get It off the board and start over.
Sorry but that's how I see It.

x2
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Otter put up - 03/27/23 09:00 AM

look down a couple posts to a couple otter and see what you think
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 01:44 AM

I think the tail is fine, looks like it is just bunched up. The white spots could maybe be the time of year? Observations from a newbie though.
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 11:30 AM

Thanks for the input. That’s why I posted it, not for feel good but real feed back. Better luck on the next one. Out of curiosity, what does a little extra fat do to the hide if left on like this?

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 01:24 PM

It creates wet spots and the leather won't dry and will cause the fur to slip.
Did you flesh the tail?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 03:11 PM

I'm no expert by any means, but here's what an otter put up could look like. [Linked Image]

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 04:10 PM

Looks like an expert job to me.

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 04:11 PM

Thanks, but that's only otter #6 for me.

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

Thanks, but that's only otter #6 for me.

Well then you are a very good pelt handler. What's the belly side look like, leg holes sewn/tacked closed, inspection window?

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 04:34 PM

bc,

I skin all my otter with their legs and feet on. No inspection window. I use them for craft purposes.

Thanks for the compliments. Call me sick in the head, but I enjoy being able to put up nice looking fur. I don't want to have any grease burn or hair slippage that is my fault.

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 05:04 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Excellent put up.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 05:08 PM

k snow, I would be interested to see how you board your otter with the feet on. Great pic!

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
k snow, I would be interested to see how you board your otter with the feet on. Great pic!

I don't have any pictures of the belly side. I pin the hind feet open on the belly side (6 pins per leg), down to the pads. I salt the pads lightly to help them dry.
The front legs I also lightly salt and I set the board at an angle so the legs hang away from the hide, no skin touching.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 05:17 PM

Do you make a cut on the front legs from the elbow to the pad? Or do you just "tube" them with no cuts?

I make a cut on my cats but with otters having such short front legs it may be possible to dry them "tubed" ?

Re: Otter put up - 03/29/23 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Do you make a cut on the front legs from the elbow to the pad? Or do you just "tube" them with no cuts?

I make a cut on my cats but with otters having such short front legs it may be possible to dry them "tubed" ?

I cut the front legs open. I didn't on my first few, but the tannery did. So I just cut them now, it is a bit easier to skin them that way, for me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums