Home

Snowy Owl Observers

Posted By: Jonathan

Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 08:50 PM

By chance, while driving along the lake yesterday afternoon, I watched a Snowy Owl land on top of a utility wire insulator. It perched there just long enough for me to get these portraits and video.

Jonathan

Video
https://flic.kr/p/238wzRQ
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 09:22 PM

FANTASTIC shots J, i havent seen one yet here in north central WI but others have....thanks for posting
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 09:24 PM

Nice. Thanks 4 sharing.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 09:47 PM

Great job. I haven't seen one yet this winter I'm not sure why.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 10:34 PM

Are they normally out and about in the day light?
Posted By: cyaukeyy

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 10:47 PM

Jonathan, This gentleman takes some shots that might interest you. http://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/10/18 11:56 PM

Ain't he a dandy! Yes they are out during daylight-think about it, where they come from there are some LONG days. Equally long nights 6 months later.
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 01:09 AM

None this year yet.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 01:11 AM

Saw another one yesterday, today I bumped a pair of smaller owls two times on the way out to shoot a coyote
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 01:35 AM

Great Horned owls are courting and making nests now here in WIs, Eagles also.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 01:44 AM

You guys up north made the news down here. The other day while listening to the commodity markets & farm news on the radio they had a short segment on the snowy owls being seen in the northern states. I thought it was odd to here that on the radio since I live in Kansas. Is it really rare to see one? Thay look beautiful.
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 02:02 AM

I saw my first Snowy Owls (3) this winter in Kansas. I was lucky enough to see these 2 together one day.

This is the first one I saw, kind of surprised me to see it and took a quick photo w/ my cell phone. Just happened to be sitting on a NWR sign.

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 02:03 AM

Pawnee, They are common up here in the winter months, but it is "rare" to see them up close. I get lucky some years.

Jonathan

Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 02:29 AM

Nice pics sir!
Seen way more than normal this year in MN.

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:17 AM

Mike, do you live in northern Kansas ? I’ve lived here 30+ years and never seen one, and I don’t miss much. Thanks for sharing the pics

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Jonathan
Pawnee, They are common up here in the winter months, but it is "rare" to see them up close. I get lucky some years.

Jonathan

Jonathan, I really enjoy you photos. Thanks for the reply
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbears
Nice pics sir!
Seen way more than normal this year in MN.

X2 seen a dead one on the road the other day wish I could have picked it up for mounting, I did notify the local warden and noticed it was gone today
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:41 AM

Pawnee, yes I live in Phillips County. And here I thought I was the last one to see a Snowy Owl in KS but I guess not. I just happened to glance to my left when I saw that one in the snow sitting on a sign post. Someone else tipped me off of the other 2 and I went looking for them.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:55 AM

One of the smaller airports here got into a little public backlash for shooting one. While legal, they decided to adjust the policy to be a little more sensitive to the public wishes.

Great pictures.

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike N.
Pawnee, yes I live in Phillips County. And here I thought I was the last one to see a Snowy Owl in KS but I guess not. I just happened to glance to my left when I saw that one in the snow sitting on a sign post. Someone else tipped me off of the other 2 and I went looking for them.

Good to know. I’ll keep my eyes peeled, and camera ready. Thanks
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 04:02 AM

Thank you all for the pictures of an amazingly versatile predator. I recall reading about a tracking study that found some snowy owls ranging well out onto the frozen Arctic Ocean, as far as 40 miles from shore. Turns out they were hunting sea birds and eider ducks in open cracks and leads in the pack ice.
Posted By: schmattz

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 04:19 AM

Something must have been going on up north pushing them south this year. I was seeing several owls in West central MN during the beginning of November and we didn't have any snow. One was in the same field for a week straight and was in a tree above a yote I had caught. Seen another one several times about five miles away. I have only ever seen one here once before in my life and that was in the middle of winter.

Schmattz
Posted By: coalbank

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 10:55 AM

Great shots Jonathan! Thanks for sharing?
Posted By: coonwild

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 02:04 PM

Posted By: coonwild

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 02:11 PM

This is how my stalk ended trying to get a closeup on this one , I have no fancy camera only my iPhone lol

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/11/18 04:33 PM

Mike, Thanks for the share. The birds in the first photo looks like a pair. The all white color of the top one suggests it is a male.

CW, No matter your share is from an IP camera. You caught a neat moment of flight of a male bird in the scene. It shows the highly feathered legs and feet.

Jonathan

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 05:06 AM

Saw one real close today, landed on electric pole in front of me
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 05:58 AM

One of Gods best creatures.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 11:58 AM

There was an area near Leach Lake back in the 90's which had a stand of roughly 40 year old red pines. There was a snowy there for at least 3 years running using a nest. I do not think it built it or had young there, just seemed to come back to each winter until the area was clear cut.

Osky

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 03:56 PM

Osky, That is an interesting observation. I suspect it was using the nest as a hunting platform to prey on songbirds or small mammals in those pines.

Any chance it may have been a juvenile Barred or Great Horned Owl?

Jonathan
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 05:09 PM

Jonathan,

There was one that decided to venture way down here a couple of weeks ago and give us southerners a very rare treat! Like the article says, pretty much a once in a lifetime event for us.

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Snowy-O...-471194123.html

Re: Snowy Owl Observers - 02/12/18 05:25 PM

Wow that's way far south, I never knew they would go that far
© 2024 Trapperman Forums