Home

Birders: Confusing Warblers

Posted By: Jonathan

Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 12:29 AM

Do you recognize these? They made a recent two day pit stop in my yard recently, but I am not certain about which species. I posted them earlier to experts here in a PM, and to a net birding forum, but goofed after switching ID's in a Flickr Album.

Jonathan

Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 01:42 AM

Cute as heck warblers! Nice
Posted By: Born

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 02:00 AM

Could it be a ruby-crowned Kinglet?

Your post reminded me to look up a bird I saw from the deer stand this evening. I believe it was a Ovenbird "brown ground warblers"
Posted By: Tray

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 02:12 AM

First one is a juvie Blackpoll Warbler I believe, The orange feet are distinctive on that warbler. The others are Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Tray
First one is a juvie Blackpoll Warbler I believe, The orange feet are distinctive on that warbler. The others are Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Thank you, Tray. What are your thoughts on this one taken two days earlier at the same location? It was a loner that dropped down with 4 White-throated Sparrows.

Jonathan

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/07/18 02:46 PM

My best guess on that bird is also a immature blackpoll for the same reason as the other. I believe they are the only one with that foot color. Fall warblers are very difficult but it does help a ton to get good pics like that.

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/08/18 02:21 AM

Here is another view of that same individual for reference. At first it appeared it might be a Magnolia Warbler. Many of the fall warbler species are tough calls in molting or juvenile plumage.

Jonathan

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/08/18 06:12 PM

This lone Ruby-crowned was bug chasing in the spruce tree early this morning.

Jonathan

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/08/18 07:03 PM

Jonathan, Check out the Merlin App if you don't already have it. It's a free app that gives really good descriptions and pictures of all birds. Also you can load pictures into their database and get ID confirmation. It's not 100%, but really close.

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/08/18 07:42 PM

Thank you! I have that app, plus the paperback "The Warbler Guide" by Stephenson and Whittle.

Jonathan
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Birders: Confusing Warblers - 10/08/18 08:26 PM

The orange ting on the secondarys are another area since they are still there till next spring.

A little pisting gets the Fire Crest to show it's true European name. If your camera has a clicking mode they will show their creast.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums