Home

Birders: Thrushes ?

Posted By: Jonathan

Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 02:00 AM

These two different specimens briefly stopped by my brush pile yesterday and today. Any thoughts on what species they might be as seen in fall plumage - possible Swainson's, Hermit or Veery?

Jonathan

Sunday

Today
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 03:33 AM

Number 2 is, I believe, a Fox Sparrow. Number 1 be.......Hermit (juvenile)????

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 03:36 AM

Boy Jonathan, Those thrush can be a pain to I.D. Check out the bill color and shape on the #2 bird, that rules out a thrush according to all my reference books.
Posted By: Jonathan

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 03:49 AM

Thanks, JM. I overlooked that one as a probable sparrow species.

Regards,

Jonathan
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 05:01 AM

I'll post a modest bet on Gray Cheeked Thrush for the following reasons: the light eye ring is present but not sharply defined like Hermit nor buff like a swainsons. Also, no buff stripe emerging ahead of the bill as on Swainson's. And according to my field guide, Eastern Hermits appear to have a lighter bill.

Many Thrushes are hard to differentiate as breeding adults, and this is a juvenile, so who knows? Hermit, GC, and Swainson's are common summer breeders here and are easily heard but rarely seen. A welcome sound of late spring. I agree that # 2 is a Fox sparrow.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 09:01 AM

Not sure on first one, but second definitely Fox Sparrow, they are usually scratching soil vigorously looking for food. I call them natures little rototillers
Posted By: Skull Guy

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/23/18 02:28 PM

The first is a hermit thrush. You can't overlook the red color to the primary wing tips and the tail. No other ID characteristics matter, especially in the fall.

The second is a fox sparrow
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/25/18 10:19 PM

The fox sparrow is last years melting into a adult plumage
Nice pics
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 10/25/18 11:32 PM

Neat looking birds
Posted By: goatman

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 05:31 PM

I'm adding to this post. I'm no birder but what do you think on these two different sparrows?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 05:40 PM

Male white crown and an English(house) sparrow male also

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 05:52 PM

Good spotting there with the brown cap; Passer montanus
and that one that sings; Oh Canada..oh Canada as it notes,,,,, except for the eastern form that sing pea-body pea-body

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cohunt
Male white crown and an English(house) sparrow male also

sorry cohunt it is not a Passer domesticus
Then I see where the poster is from and they breed locally there.
right of Cardinal is a White throated sparrow adult
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 06:05 PM

Beautiful Shots Jonathan!
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 06:10 PM

North of--obviously NOT white crown, lots of give-aways but I was distracted because the white is so brilliant which is common for the white crown and not the white throat. Sure sucks getting OLD.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 06:28 PM

birds are feeding on venison tallow , ground feeding seeds, black sunflower seeds plus going nuts on bread, every species on bread.
Posted By: Tray

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 06:39 PM

Sparrow in the picture with the Cardinal looks like a Eurasian Tree Sparrow, brown cap with white ring all the way around neck.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/09/19 10:15 PM

Where's the Daisy when you need it. Just kidding. Sometimes I can't help myself...
Audubon woulda done it that way.
Posted By: Scioto

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/10/19 09:56 PM

One of my favorite songs in the wild, a late afternoon serenade by a Wood Thrush deep in the bush.
Posted By: Jarhead620

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/11/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tray
Sparrow in the picture with the Cardinal looks like a Eurasian Tree Sparrow, brown cap with white ring all the way around neck.

Correct as noted by Northof50 above. They were restricted to the St. Louis area when I saw them there many years ago. The yellow above the eye makes the other one an obvious White-throated.

Jarhead

Re: Birders: Thrushes ? - 02/11/19 08:12 PM

Yep, the one sparrow is an English Tree Sparrow, the other a White Throated Sparrow.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums