Home

Birders: Small Hawks

Posted By: Jonathan

Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 12:44 AM

While driving not far from home camera hunting for winter raptors this morning, I happened upon a male Merlin on a utility wire. It was a first of life species for my birding albums. Turned out to be a special near year's end prize for this 76 year old dude who has been camera chasing birds since 1972.

These are portraits of the small hawk in the share.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnnyWayne

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:04 AM

Beautiful birds those hawks. Congratulations.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:17 AM

They are one of the smallest falcons, thanks for posting!
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:17 AM

We've had one of those for over a year now. I call him sparrow hawk since he cleaned up a lot of English sparrows.
When he hits a mourning dove, it's high speed, low drag, poooof lol.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:23 AM

Those morning dove sure loose a lot of feathers when hit by a hawk or falcon. I think Kestrels used to be called sparrow hawk, but they to are falcons. Outstanding looking little falcons.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:25 AM

Nice. I've seen them catch tree swallows before. They are incredibly fast little falcons
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:33 AM

great pics, thanks for posting
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 01:40 AM

Wonderful life list addition for your album , Jonathan .

Thank you for the share of such a speedy jet fighter smile

See you on the surface.....
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:05 AM

Kestrels were called sparrow hawks back when I was a kid Merlin’s were called pigeon hawks

There awesome hunters well able to catch and take down larger game then most would expect
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:07 AM

Great Photos Jonathan!
Posted By: Hal Aggers

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:19 AM

I and a friend saw one catch a bluejay this fall in the yard. The other bluejays went crazy when it was screaming.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:32 AM

I love hawks. A small cooper hawk has been coming around my neighborhood lately, it's refreshing. Some odd reason I've hardly seen the adult cooper hawk that usually visits once a week, then this young guy started showing up. Neighbor said it takes out doves and pigeons in his yard.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:35 AM

Very nice Jonathan. A glamorous predator and exciting addition to a life list. Our winter "raptor" around here is the Northern Hawk Owl, an interesting bird of prey with falcon-like wings. Perhaps it should've been named "Northern Falcon Owl. I wish I had a picture to share. Please keep it up.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 04:42 PM

Great shot Jonathan ….

Garry-
Posted By: run

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 05:40 PM

Way to go, Jonathan.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 06:17 PM

Great shots and congrats on the find.

One of my favorite birding sites:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Merlin

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 06:33 PM

Great shots. I’ve had one at my deer stand picking off sparrows from the corn feeder. I almost posted about it last night. He’s a killing machine, and sometimes it appears to be just for fun. Yesterday he nailed 3 in a row, but took two about 70 yards out and just dropped them then came back to his perch. I’ve never seen a bird of prey kill for fun. We call them pigeon hawks
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 06:40 PM

Wonderful pictures.
Posted By: Jonathan

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/27/18 07:59 PM

Kestrels and Merlins are unique birds of prey in the falcon family within our group of hawks. The looks and actions of both species are nearly identical and can be a challenge to identify, unless you are able to see their plumage marking differences to sort them out accordingly with confidence. The Kestrels are in fact smaller.

I only see them while driving down the road sitting on the wires. If spotted far enough in advance, I can slow down and ease into a stop and attempt to grab a shot from my Jeep's open window. They are tough targets to photograph. As you can tell by the dates on the photos below, I don't get lucky very often.

These photos of the American Kestrel are added for reference. The species is commonly seen and more abundant in my area than the Merlin.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Birders: Small Hawks - 11/28/18 03:55 AM

Merlins are deadly killers. I was trapping along a beach late one fall when they were migrating south. I saw 14 of them perching on low snags near the beach and 11 of them were picking apart small birds. They allowed me to get pretty close to them. I am guessing that where they spend the majority of their life, there aren't a lot of people around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums