Home

New Spring Warbler Species

Posted By: Jonathan

New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 09:35 PM

Yesterday this solitary male American Redstart zipped in from the tree tops in my yard and perched on the birdbath for only several seconds. I never would have seen it if I not had my camera pointed in that direction following other songbird activity = pure luck!

Jonathan

American Redstart

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 09:43 PM

beautiful little bugger,have been seeing scarlet tanagers i believe they are called for the first time around the farm this year.they may have been here before but i didn't notice them-not sure.you have gotten me looking closer at the birds than ever before with your pics and i appreciate it greatly.
Posted By: Klemke

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 09:51 PM

I had never seen a redstart until this year. Maybe they have been around but just never noticed. Your pictures have had me looking closer at the birds
Thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 10:33 PM

The robins are back now,Seen 2 today,2 ruffed grouse,an otter and a moose.
Posted By: Railroader

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 10:40 PM

Beautiful pics as always Jonathan! Always looking forward to seeing your next posts.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 10:44 PM

Love the warble pics. Been a while since i went out in early may to find them. Only redstart i ever saw was out on presque isle bay near Erie. Lots of warblers must pass through there running up the lake erie coast in spring.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 11:53 PM

Once in a while we see a Redstart here. Neat bird!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/13/19 11:56 PM

Great pics
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 12:20 AM

Sure is a handsome devil!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
The robins are back now,Seen 2 today,2 ruffed grouse,an otter and a moose.

Boco if the Robins are back are there any Timber Dootles up your way ?( American Woodcock)

Outstanding Redstart.
Posted By: Boco

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 12:43 AM

Should be some around soon,havent seen any yet.
Posted By: squacks

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 01:17 AM

Nice captures!
There has been a Black Throat Blue Warbler on my suet feeder the last 2 days. I had never seen one before this one showed up.
It is not the least bit afraid of me and i have stood watching it from 4 or 5 feet.
It's breeding ground is much farther north so I suppose it will be gone soon.

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by squacks
Nice captures!
There has been a Black Throat Blue Warbler on my suet feeder the last 2 days. I had never seen one before this one showed up.
It is not the least bit afraid of me and i have stood watching it from 4 or 5 feet.

Squacks,

I had one solitary migrating Black-throated Blue land in my yard at the suet feeders
Nice captures!

I had a solitary migrating Black-throated Blue Warbler land in my yard last Wednesday. It was here on and off all day long until Saturday - haven't seen it since. What was most interesting for me to observe while studying the schedule of its feeding behavior and patterns, was that it fed 95% of the time at all three grape jelly feeders set for the Baltimore Orioles. In the balance, it periodically visited both suet feeders and fwd on insects in my maple and box elder trees.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Videos at jelly feeders

https://flic.kr/p/2fRV6WK

https://flic.kr/p/2fL12XE

https://flic.kr/p/S5ASke
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 03:09 AM

You are GOOD!!
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 05:00 AM

Cool photos, as usual Jonathan. Redstarts are one of the very, very few warblers I can still hear!
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 10:17 AM

Handsome lil fellows. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 12:58 PM

Stunning Photo's Jonathan!!!

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 02:52 PM

Thank you to all for your kind words and comments.

I have seen only one other warbler species recently in this colder weather and heavy cloud cover - my regular visiting pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets . If it ever warms up enough soon, a few stragglers might show up at the tail end of this year's irruptive spring migration.

Jonathan
Posted By: squacks

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Nice captures!

Squacks,

I had one solitary migrating Black-throated Blue land in my yard at the suet feeders
Nice captures!

I had a solitary migrating Black-throated Blue Warbler land in my yard last Wednesday. It was here on and off all day long until Saturday - haven't seen it since. What was most interesting for me to observe while studying the schedule of its feeding behavior and patterns, was that it fed 95% of the time at all three grape jelly feeders set for the Baltimore Orioles. In the balance, it periodically visited both suet feeders and fwd on insects in my maple and box elder trees.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Videos at jelly feeders

https://flic.kr/p/2fRV6WK

https://flic.kr/p/2fL12XE

https://flic.kr/p/S5ASke

Great captures...Again.
Like you, I have suet and jelly feeder. I never saw this finch on the jelly feeder. He did eat a LOT of orange flavored suet. This bird was here for 2 days. I have yet to see it today.
We have been feeding birds for several decades and it is always exciting to see a new specie show up.
I made a few captures but they are not as good as yours. I would need a better "bird" lens for that.
Thanks for posting your photos.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 03:33 PM

Great pics J, ive never seen a Redstart in my area of north central Wi.. Thanks for posting

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 05:41 PM

The Ruby-crowned Kinglets were on their regular feeding schedule, out of camera range very early this morning when I first saw them, but made their near 12:15 PM foraging stop in my nearby black spruce tree for these portraits.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tim64

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/14/19 11:58 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/15/19 12:26 AM

Very nice photo's on your Flicker account. Really nice one of a female Black throated Blue wrb, and had to look really hard on your hummingbird to see where the wings and tail ended. Luckily we are not in Sharon's territory and have to deal with 8-10 species.
Rd fx you hear a RedStart before you see them, like the male Indigo bunting I heard this morning...........when you have prairie blue skies, somehow they blend in perfectily.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/15/19 01:58 AM

Saw a Redstart last weekend while turkey hunting with a grandson, Had to look it up when I got back to the house, haven't seen many.

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/15/19 01:59 AM

A weather shift today brought on a very brief visit from these two species last seen in my yard near the south shore of Lake Ontario a week ago.

Jonathan

Black-throated Green Warbler
[Linked Image]

Yellow Warblers
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/15/19 10:22 PM

Very nice...........it has been a long winter waiting.

Re: New Spring Warbler Species - 05/16/19 11:03 PM

After the cold front and rain storm moved through my section of the Lake Ontario flyway yesterday afternoon, I didn't see any warblers within view around my yard today.

Jonathan
© 2024 Trapperman Forums