Venison.... Fried deer liver

Posted By: mike jerrell

Venison.... Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 01:45 AM

FRIED DEER LIVER

1 deer liver, sliced thinly
1 c. flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 lg. onions, sliced
Cooking oil

Place liver in freezer for 1 hour to make it easier for slicing. Using a thin bladed knife cut slices thinly as possible. Place the seasoned flour on a large piece of waxed paper. Heat one cup cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry for about five minutes.
Place onions to one edge of pan. Coat each piece of liver with seasoned flour and fry for about four minutes (two minutes to each side). Don't over cook or liver will be tuff. As each batch is cooked transfer it to pre-heated oven and keep warm. When all is cooked serve with onions.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 01:59 AM

ZIPLOC OMELET

(This works great Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet
Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.
Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.
Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.
Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omelet for a quick breakfast!!!

I used tomatoes, ham, green onions, cheddar cheese and mushrooms in this one!
if possible chop,slice or crush up the ingredients before everybody gets ready to fix thiers.
This works good at home too,ESPECIALLY IF YOU GOT A LAZY WOMAN YOU CANT RUN OFF FOR A WIFE.
Posted By: PappyD

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:06 AM

That I will have to try Mike!
Posted By: blaine

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:08 AM

Will pass on the Liver, everything sounds good about it except the Liver part. Will give the Omelet thing a try.
Posted By: atrietch

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:09 AM

liver = gag reflex for me!

will eat the loins of a possum before the liver of anything!
Posted By: coop

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:10 AM

Pretty much what I do for chicken livers... love 'em.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:11 AM

Ziplock omelet is a fun deal to do with kids, but Ziplock says their bags are not to ment to be cooked with...

But I have still done it...

Deer liver???

I've eaten and like, pork and beef, but deer???

I think I would rather lick a bear's butt... but thanks anyway...

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:12 AM

on the Liver recipe it works good with other types of meat also.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: blaine
Will pass on the Liver, everything sounds good about it except the Liver part. Will give the Omelet thing a try.

You are so picky about what you eat, I dont know you maintain your ahh,generous figure.

Sounds better than,How do you stay so Dam fat?lol
Posted By: PappyD

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:13 AM

Fried dove breast taste similar to liver to me.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:13 AM

everyone likes the Liver around here except me, most folks would rather have the liver than backstraps or tenderloins.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:14 AM

I never liked the way it taste Mike, have ate it several times. Its not bad just not my favorite.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:17 AM

Aint my favorite part of the deer either,but I like it once or twice a year.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:18 AM

onions and flour and grease can most anything edible though.lol How come everytime I come see you, We never have these good meals?

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: blaine
onions and flour and grease can most anything edible though.lol How come everytime I come see you, We never have these good meals?

Cause we are usually runninup and down the roads and through the woods checkin traps,shootin a t squirrels with a 22 pistol or skinnin and fleshin somthin.

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:28 AM

BB, I lived bout a year on nothin but LoneStar beer and Wolf brand chili,ever since then I aint been picky.
You remember this commercial/( When was the last time you had a bowl of wolf brand chili?
Thats too long.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:32 AM

Been there and done that myself...

Except, I didn't eat the chili...

Lone Star Longnecks... man, those were the days....

I ain't to picky either... Just ain't gonna eat a deer liver...

I live and ranch in sheep country...

Liver flukes are bad down here, plus my liver don't need no more damage... LOL....
Posted By: Bobby G

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bulletbox

Liver flukes are bad down here, plus my liver don't need no more damage... LOL....

I was thinking the same thing. I worm my cows twice a year and still see fluke damage in some of the yearlings we get butchered.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 09:17 AM

deer don't have a gallbladder, ever remove one and hold it up in sunlight and look at it? covered with wierd looking translucent green spots, I'll pass.
RR
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 09:44 AM

Cut liver into 1 inch chunks, put down dirthole,cover lightly, add urine and gland lure.Set and cover trap.Collect coyote.
Posted By: boyswannatrap

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 10:55 AM

How about, gut deer, punt liver, tell Dad it had a hole through it.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bulletbox

Liver flukes are bad down here....

Same up here.

I used to fry up some liver of each deer I shot, that same night in camp. Its not my favorite taste but its edible and a tradition, if nothing else.

Then I noticed some big flukes slithering out on the cutting block one year...then the next and the next. Kinda lost my appetite each time and threw that stinkin' tradition out the window smile

In a pinch, I wouldnt hesitate to eat the liver again, just cook it real good.

-NC
Posted By: newears

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 12:10 PM

In Washington state it was a skillet of deer liver and another of oysters, in Ohio it's one of liver and the other of mushrooms. Mmm Mmmm Mmm

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 12:54 PM

I have never seen flukes in deer liver here, Not saying they are non existent,just havent seen em, Have seen Bots crawl out of the nose of deer hangin on the skinnin pole
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 02:59 PM

not one for liver maybe one or two times a year,now if it was heart thats the cats meow,cooked same way
Posted By: holdengr

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 09/28/09 03:22 PM

I leave the guts in the bush......
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: Try This, Fried deer liver - 02/20/10 02:07 AM

Did someone say deer liver? I roll mine in flour, brown it in an iron skillet, cut onions into rings and place over the liver, add a dash of salt and pepper, add about a cup and half water(more or less depending on how much liver you have in the skillet) and cover. Let it simmer until the onions are cooked down over the liver and remove the lid and eat. That's how my Mom cooked pork liver when we used to butcher our own hogs back when I was a kid.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums