Home

beaver.........recipes

Posted By: fshntrp

beaver.........recipes - 01/02/07 01:50 AM

Hey all especially veteran trappers who eat the beaver meat. how do you prepare it. im thinkin of smoking one aand also trying sausage and burger made of others what do you think? are there any particular seasoning that go better with this meat. i like the raost and have stewed the same but would also like to try something different.
Dan

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 06:12 PM

come on guys i know im not the only one who eats flattails. some one has to have some recipes.
dan
Posted By: Uncle Fester

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 06:28 PM

I have about 50 lbs of meat in the freezer I am going to grind and make into summer sausage. Should be tasty. Also going to try pepperoni this year.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 07:05 PM

I like it slow cooked in a electric skillet or in a dutch oven over a fire. Season it as I do beef for the most part.

I haven't yet made any sauage with it but hope to this year.

One word of caution with it. If they come from an old still water/brackish water area, I won't eat them. I eat only those that live in good water and moving water. I caint spell the disease they carry but it is bad and easily contracted to humans. (Girardea) or something like that.
Posted By: ne.cooner

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 08:23 PM

crock pot with cream o mushroom soup
mmmmmm aint nuttn better!(except mabye grinner:)
Posted By: Nextyeartrapper

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 09:09 PM

thats sick ne. cooner lol

i would think that cooking would kill that disease just named
Posted By: Uncle Fester

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/02/07 09:22 PM

Beaver are natural carriers of Giardia (sp) It is the same as having to boil water that you get while camping or in a survival situation. The high temps kill it. Cook away boys, make sure it is done.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 12:44 AM

They dont have much of a back strap but Ive heard its good if you roll them up with bacon and cook on charcoal grill.I think I just talked myself into that recipe. How can you go wrong with bacon!
Posted By: Nextyeartrapper

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 01:10 AM

thats the truth wildwood ive been wanting to beaver trap mainly to try eating one with everybody on here saying how good eating they are

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 02:23 AM

We cut off the drumsticks and pressure-cook them about 40 minutes or so then in the oven or on the grill slathered with BBQ sauce.
Posted By: PadCatch

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 02:31 AM

OK guys, I have skinned about 6 of them this week and the same thing started running through my mind, I bet it is only a matter of time when one is sitting on my plate. What is the best part of the beaver? is it that meat just past the tail? I think wrapped in bacon sounds like a winner.
Posted By: Chip

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 03:02 AM

I never cared much for the backstraps...seems like grain-fed animals (deer,beef,etc.) just have better loins but you can't go wrong with a stew...come to think of it, I don't care for any rodent's backstraps...just the legs. Sometimes I par-boil the legs, bone them out, throw them in a crock-pot with barbecue sauce to cook the rest of the way, and then you've got shredded beaver sandwiches. Never tried grilling it but I've had rabbit grilled a million times so I'm sure beaver would taste fine but you may have to marienade it because it isn't as flavorful of a meat as muskrat or rabbit. Tomato juice or even italian dressing works well.

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 08:26 PM

Get a young one what ever you do, the big ones taste like castor.

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/03/07 08:54 PM

this is the best one,
Broil the beaver tail over hot coals for a few minutes (or in one of those new electric ovens). The rough scaly hide will blister and come off, leaving the tail clean, white and solid. Then roast or boil until tender. This is considered very strengthening food (use only young beaver). For a special treat, cool, souse in vinegar, add raw onion rings, salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: 4 servings
4 Beaver tails
1 Onion
1 tablespoon Butter
2 tablespoon Prepared mustard
1 cup Sherry
1 dash Tabasco sauce
3 cup Barbecue sauce
Grated parmesan cheese

Place whole beaver tails on barbecue or oven broiler rack until scaly skin blisters. Let cool in freezer compartment. Remove cold blistered skin and discard. Put white meat aside. In shallow roasting pan, saute onion in butter until clear, stir in mustard to coat onions, then stir in sherry, tabasco sauce and half of barbecue sauce, making sure bottom of pan is covered. Spread out beaver tails in pan, cover with remaining barbecue sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and bake in 450-degree oven for 45 minutes. Serve hot with wild or ordinary rice topped with generous spoonfuls of remaining sauce.

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/04/07 10:37 PM

thx guys i knew i wasnt the only one thats eats these critters i was just looking for different ways to prepare
dan
Posted By: Steve eh?

Re: beaver meat recipes - 10/23/11 04:55 PM

I debone hind quarters and cut into pieces then bbq with salt pepper and a little spice.
It is my favourite!
Posted By: On a Call

Re: beaver meat recipes - 10/23/11 10:00 PM

Grind it all and make sloppy joes...you will not look back.

Back straps grilled are excellent !!!!!! Use with a wood to catch the smokey flavor.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: beaver meat recipes - 10/25/11 01:40 AM

Backstraps and hind quarter meat make real good trail sticks.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: beaver meat recipes - 01/26/14 05:55 AM

Giardia has two stages. Stage One: You feel like you are going to die. Stage Two: You hope that you die.
Carl
Posted By: haroldlcasey

Re: beaver meat recipes - 07/24/14 04:45 AM

cut the rib cage into 4 slabs parboil till tender with an onion and an apple. then season to your liking s.p whatever you like put them on a rack on a cookie sheet add your fav. bbq sauce 350 till they almost fall of the bone. Take the small of the back ,Cut across with saw into steaks 1 in thick season pan fry just like any thing else red, sear ,then on low till done or grill just like beef or venison ,serve with ranch red skin potatoes ,wilted watercress ,corn on the cob cooked on the grill in the husk and an ice cold bud or milk ,ya wont need it to wash it down it's more of a garnish.Bon Apatit!
Posted By: brydon

Re: beaver meat recipes - 12/29/14 05:07 AM

Just tried eating beaver for the first time... fried it up with onions, some pepper and a lil salt. AWESOME!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums