Home

**Snapping turtle** recipes

Posted By: coondagger2

**Snapping turtle** recipes - 04/21/13 05:47 PM

how do you guys cook them? I plan on running lines for them come summer.
Posted By: muskbeav

Re: Cooter recipes - 04/24/13 09:22 PM

Lol

Re: Cooter recipes - 04/24/13 10:53 PM

What are you laughing at?
Posted By: muskbeav

Re: Cooter recipes - 04/25/13 01:11 AM

Up north everyone knows COOTER as the *V*

Re: Cooter recipes - 04/25/13 01:25 AM

Lol wow, down south cooter means get the heck outta the way or get a gun
Posted By: Wayne1967

Re: Cooter recipes - 11/01/13 08:04 PM

I am breaking and frying my next one. I made chowder out of my last 2. Good and tender but stringy.
Posted By: Jimfconley

Re: Cooter recipes - 02/19/14 08:51 PM

Roll the turtle in flour and meal , brown it then place it in Dutch oven put about half inch water in bottom of Dutch over put in oven bake at three fifty . Bake till you can pull meat off the bone.
Another way to do it is put in crock pot till tender then fry it till brown Ksp dad
Posted By: Hiline Bob

Re: Cooter recipes - 02/14/15 05:46 PM

Me and a buddy and his father learned a hard lesson with turtle years ago. I'll never forget it: my buddy's dad wanted to make snapping turtle one time. So he put all kinds of work into this soup, but while he was cooking it me and his son kept telling him that it didn't smell right to us.

His dad just kept telling us that is was because we didn't know what was good...so finally dinner time rolls around and he starts dishing it out.

My buddy came up with what I thought was a good idea; he called their black lab in and put a small amount in her bowl. She wouldn't touch it! Even with some encouragement, she wouldn't go near it. So we (as respectfully as we could) declined and told him we were not going to eat it. (Looking back, I'm thankful we were in our late teens at the time, because if we were younger, he'd have made us eat it...) Of course he was ticked at us and probably, just out of wanting to prove a point to us - he went ahead and ate it.

About 6 hours later, we rushed him to the hospital and they pumped his stomach! Ever since then, I've always trusted my sense of smell.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Cooter recipes - 12/27/15 05:15 PM

I like to cook it in a sauce. Brown the meat, remove. Wilt onions, green onions, add a little water and some tomato sauce and put meat back in. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder to taste, and then cook until tender.

Serve over rice
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Cooter recipes - 11/04/21 05:08 PM

I like mine best in the crockpot, same stew I use with almost any meat.
Flour and brown meat then put in the crock pot with carrots celery onion garlic potatoes chicken stock and red wine. Cook all day. Any and all vegetables can be added peas corn rutabaga etc..
Posted By: Oysterman

Re: Cooter recipes - 12/13/21 10:06 AM

Ok. My question is...how do you kill and clean a turtle? I had snapper soup once and loved it! We frequently get big snappers when we are crabbing and I have been dying to cook one.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums