Home

Bear in Sausage?

Posted By: Hiline Bob

Bear in Sausage? - 02/15/15 07:02 PM

Anyone ever try using bear (black) to make sausage (talking mainly about a fresh breakfast style sausage)? Seems like it would make sense, especially if mixed with a little pork trimmings...
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 09/09/15 05:37 AM

Yes. Bear sausage is a big winter treat here. I've had mine made 100% into sausage/ bologna and people ate the heck out of it. It was made by a local butcher who processes deer, too, and he makes all kinds of deer bologna, as well. Great use for bear meat
Posted By: Dabba

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 02/10/16 01:58 AM

Make fresh brats out of the bear I shot, very tasty. Didn't use any pork either.
Posted By: AKman

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 04/22/16 09:50 PM

Summer sausage and hot links, tastes amazing cut into small bits in eggs
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 05/21/16 05:04 PM

I make lots of Italian sausage out of ground bear meat mixed with pork(trimmed bearmeat is very lean).I use the shank and neck meat,(the tougher cuts) for sausage or stew.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 01/29/18 02:09 AM

Yes I have. That's all I do with my bear meat. Any sausage recipe will work. Bear smokies are my favourites
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 08/13/20 11:33 PM

late to this post.... sorry.. but yes i make italian with it spicy and regular and love it... i always mix pork fat in mine... also any braised beef recipe or Rosso bocco recipe is great with bear and i leave the bones in mine for extra flavor.. i use the fat to cook with and to make the best bannock. IMO
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 08/14/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I make lots of Italian sausage out of ground bear meat mixed with pork(trimmed bearmeat is very lean).I use the shank and neck meat,(the tougher cuts) for sausage or stew.

x2
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 08/24/20 09:24 PM

Made bear brats with the last bear a harvested. Very good eating.
Posted By: Ezana4CE

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 06/01/23 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

The above information is on point!! Bear meat is lean and without some sort of fat like pork fat, it makes terrible ground breakfast sausage patty meat IMO.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 07/03/23 10:40 PM

Just had some brats made from the trimmings. Very good but would prefer to eat bear meat as a burger or steaks.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Bear in Sausage? - 08/25/23 04:43 PM

Oh yeah buddy bear and pork makes fantastic breakfast sausage. Use Leggs # 10 you can do it at home with a meat grinder:

A.C. Legg Blend 10 Pork Sausage Seasoning
© 2024 Trapperman Forums