Home

Smoking....... Ham brine ---- Need help

Posted By: Geezerman

Smoking....... Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 02:04 PM

My buddy Terry took a doe this weekend. He wants to have me smoke the hams and slice them.

I had some done two years ago by a processor, but I want to smoke them myself as I have a smoker now.

Anyone know a good brine to use?

Thanks
Posted By: Crow Eater

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 06:22 PM

I can get you some. Let me know
Posted By: dblkb

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 06:59 PM

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/Cure_Ham_Curing_Kits
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 07:06 PM

Seaharvester had a post awhile back on curing ham and bacon , had his brine recipe
Posted By: Geezerman

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 08:16 PM

THANKS GUYS

Buzzy, how was your birthday??? Anything exciting happen?

Probably like me, worked ate and went to sleep huh?
Posted By: hunter88

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 10:45 PM

My parents used to own a small town locker plant, and this is our old curing recipe. I've reduced it for home use.

In 2 gallons of water add
1 pound non iodized salt
10 TBS sugar
6 TBS Prague Powder #1

Almost any locker plants that cures it's own pork should be willing to sell you some PP #1.

I leave my stuff in 2 days if it is not real big, and if thick I will inject some of the liquid with a hypo. I then take the stuff out and rinse well and soak in clear water for a couple hours. If it's a little too salty for you then soak longer the next time.

You can buy regualr pork chops at the store, but them in this solution for a couple days, soak in clear water and smoke them. You now hae cured pork chops for less then half the price.
Posted By: barredrock

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 11:08 PM

i just buy it buy the pound at the local butcher,,, he has barrels of it
Posted By: barredrock

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/14/08 11:09 PM

shoot cure into turkey for a way better version than you will ever try anywhere else
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/15/08 02:37 AM

What is Prague Powder ??
Posted By: hunter88

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/15/08 02:55 AM

Prague Powder #1 is a curing salt. There is also a Prague Power #2 that is used in dry cures.

Most curing uses #1. This is the same curing salt I use in my summer sausage and I even cure and smoke my deer brats. When using this for curing meats like sausage, you only use 2 tsp for 10 pounds of meat.
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: O/T Ham brine ---- Need help - 10/15/08 03:12 AM

5 quarts of water, 1 pound of pickling salt, 5 ounces of sugar, 5 oz of prague powder #1.
Disolve salt and sugar in water; soak hams for 5 to 7 days. Injecting some brine in to the ham is a very good way to get it near the bone. Honey or brown sugar can be used for the sugar.

PP#1 is a mixture of 1oz of sodium nitrite in a pound of salt. It is used to retain color and prevent spoilage.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums