Home

Venison... Anyone have a deer recipe to share?

Posted By: opie

Venison... Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 03:03 AM

Well its that time again. Ive been sitting here getting ready when I decided I wanted to make some deer sausage this year. Does anyone have any suggestions and comments to share?
Posted By: moosedrooln

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 03:08 AM

I am heading south this weekend leaving home in about eight hrs from this post. I'll be bowhunting some pretty good land the entire time until Sunday afternoon. The odds of at least a doe are really good, but like everyone else, I sure hope a big one comes in. I usually process at least three deer a year on my own, and I'm always interested in new recipe's.
Posted By: Wild Ed

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 03:19 AM

here are a couple off my blog.
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/2007/10/venison-hot-sticks.html
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/2007/09/venison-steak-done-right.html

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 03:40 PM

Great start guys. Good luck on that hunt MOOSEDROOLN on that hunt sounds like you are going to have a good time. We expect some pics when you get back..
Posted By: k. miller

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 03:44 PM

two backstraps.... fresh....
butter
salt
pepper

put the butter in the skillet..... get the skillet hot...... melt the butter.... throw the backstraps in the skillet... fry them.... eat them.....
Posted By: nitestalker

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 04:10 PM

jerky recipe-per pound
dales steak sauce-1/4cup
red pep-1 tsp
black pep-1 tsp
liquid smoke-4 tsp
onion powder-1 tsp
garlic salt-1 tbsp
soy sauce-1/4 cup
worstshire-1/3cup
water-1/4 cup
10/12hrs in a dehydrater

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 05:31 PM

Oh man gotta try that jerky and back straps they look great.
Posted By: VarmintSniper

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 05:35 PM

For sausage, I like to mix venison 50/50 with wild pork, or 80/20 with pork fat from the store. We like Legg's Plantation seasoning, and we smoke our sausage with oak.

For jerky, it's hard to beat marinating in Claude's brisket marinade. Season with pepper, red pepper, chili powder, or whatever you like to taste.

I like my backstrap steaks chicken fried. Dip in worcestershire and egg, then in flour/salt/pepper, fry in a little bit of oil. When finished, drain the oil and use the drippings to make gravy.

Dang it, now I'm hungry.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 06:36 PM

No kidding, Im gettin hungry myself!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: k. miller
two backstraps.... fresh....
butter
salt
pepper

put the butter in the skillet..... get the skillet hot...... melt the butter.... throw the backstraps in the skillet... fry them.... eat them.....

aint nuttin better on the face of the earth..bar none
Posted By: Kansasbert

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/14/08 07:03 PM

We eat lotsa deer at our house. About 4 years ago a friend of mine had one processed at a meat locker and they added bacon to the ground venison. Ohhhhh My you talk about good. I process my own, but from then on all my ground venison is mixed 6:1 with a premium bacon. We use it for chilli, spageti, lasagna, stew, meat loaf, etc and it is all really good. When you brown up a pound for a dish there is no need to add oil, and its not bathing in greese either. Best of all you get that smokey bacon goodness!!

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 01:52 AM

ttt
Posted By: Tony L.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 04:00 AM

Computer - "GOOGLE" - Deer Sausage Recipes
Posted By: Ricky Cox

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 04:16 AM

Old Plantation sausage seasoning, mustard seed, red pepper, black pepper and pork butts. Grind the deer and the pork butts and mix them together good. Add all of your seasonings and then fry a little patty in a skillet to taste. Add more seasoning if needed to get it the way you like it.
Posted By: TasteLikeChicken

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 08:43 AM

I've got a good venison sausage recipe in the recipe section.

Otherwise....I brown in bacon fat....and it's into the cast iron dutch oven. MMMmmm.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 10:48 PM

Ok, well 2 in the tree and goin back for more in the morning. I will check out that sausage recipe. Thanks for the info..
Posted By: trappingfanatic

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 10:58 PM

By far the best recipe I've ever made for venison is as follow.

Venison marinade:
Equal parts of soy sauce, honey, and butter

I pound the venison (steaks or tenderloin) to about half the their original thickness. Warm the honey and butter so they will mix. Then add them with the soy sauce in a gallon zip lock bag. I usually let the venison marinate in the fridge a day before cooking. I usually add just a touch more honey. Place on the grill with a med/high heat. Grill them until the venison starts to firm up. When first placed on the grill they will be like jello. Flip them once and when they loose that jiggle pull them off. They will fall apart in your mouth. Ask Paul or anyone who has attended my cookout at the Michigan convention how good this is. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Joe
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 11:05 PM

that does sound pretty tasty
Posted By: newears

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 11:21 PM

Can of mushroom soup, deer steaks, and sliced potatoes. Bake in oven till potatoes are done, meat, potatoes, and gravy all in one dish!
Posted By: RogerDoger

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 11:27 PM

I'm making venison burgers tonight, 1&1/2 lbs venison burger, 3/4 onion chopped small, dill, oregano, and super fine ground mustard. Mix, make into patties, cook on an outside charcoal or gas grill. I've used this recipe for 28 years...I still like it! WE also make venison fajitas, sloppy Joe's,(my daughter calls them sloppy Doe's), chops & steaks, you name it! Last night my wife made a pasta dish with ground venison. The first meat to ever touch my son & daughters lips was venison. Did I mention we eat a lot of venison?

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/15/08 11:58 PM

Man Thanks Kansasbirt!!! I will definatley do the bacon trick, we use the heck outta deer burger, we process everything ourselves.
Anyone know the best way to put up deer liver?

I think im gonna start a new post on that subject.
Got a good thing goin guys lets keep it up...
I think I hear a Trapperman cookbook in the works?
Posted By: Sneak

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/16/08 12:22 AM

Steaks'',,,, 1/2 '' steaks.. 2 salt
black pepper
bacon,,4 strips
onion 1 med size
lipton onion soup mix,, 1 pack

brown bacon ,,lay steaks in ,,lightly brown steaks..
season w/ salt and pepper,, dice onion,,cover steaksw/onion,
mix 1 pack los mixw/ water pour over everything'Bake at 350
for 45 min to 1 hr. do not remove bacon drippings leave in'
use pan that goes from stove top to oven!!
French bread.. fork,, heaven,, enjoy!!

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/16/08 01:15 AM

My deer jerky for something simple and quick is slice the meat into 1/4 inch thik peices, salt and pepper andf put it on a dehydrator till its plyable.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/16/08 03:21 PM

ttt

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/19/08 12:25 AM

les try it again ,lots of you guys r gettin them maybe know youl come lose o some of the recipes for the rest of us.
Posted By: Dtwarrow

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/19/08 02:21 AM

Summer Sausage without a sausage stuffer or a smoker:
2 pounds ground deer, 1 pound ground pork sausage
2.5 tbs cure salts
2 tbs salt
1 tbs garlic salt
3 tbs black pepper
1\3 cup worshtshire sauce
1 can chopped jalapinos
1/4 pound shreaded colby or jack cheese (or whatever you want)
Mix well and set in fridge overnight. Set oven to 200. Role into two round loafs about 3 inches thick and wrap in foil.
Bake for about 6-8 hours.
Cool and wipe greese off with towl then wrap in fresh foil and chill in fridge.
Posted By: Bobby G

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/19/08 02:32 AM

This is one of my favorite ways to fix deer meat.

Dust deer cutletts in flour and put them in a skillet of hot oil. Let them brown not cooking them all the way and pull them out.

Next cut up some potatos and onions and put in a roaster along with the browned deer meat. Add just a touch of water and put the roaster in the oven on 350 for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until potatos are done. Then take one can of brown gravy and mix in and put back in the oven until it is hot.

This recipe will make a fox hug a hound dog.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/19/08 04:01 PM

One of our favorite recipes for back straps is, cut-em thick and butterfly 'em. Dip in egg and then into crushed crackers (saltines) and back at 350 till done. MMMMmmm good.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/19/08 11:20 PM

SWEET!!! Thanks for that one Luke, I will try that at my anual Black powder deer hunt. We are always lookin for somethin good to throw in the cast iron!
Posted By: alpineman

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/20/08 02:45 AM

summer sausage

4-5#s of burger
5 1/2 rounded Tbl spoons of meat curing salt, a must
2 1/2 tea sp mustard seed
2 1/2 " " course gr black pepper
2 1/2 " " garlic salt
1 " " liquid smoke

Mix in a bowl for 3 days, mixing every day, on day 4 roll into logs and place on a broiler pan and bake at 175' for 8 hours, hint, place a pan of water in the oven with it to keep it moist. i like to add some crushed red pepper also.

and another favorite of mine

2-4 lbs venison cut into 1/4" strips like french fries
1 tsp pepper
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup worcestershire
1tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 flour

mix all ingredients except flour and meat. add flour and mix till you have a batter not to thick. dip meat into batter and deep fry until brown and serve warm.

makes a great camp or game day appetizer.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/20/08 04:54 PM

More great recipies to ttry.. I just butchered 2 up yesterday so I will be starting to try these out!!
Posted By: holdengr

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/20/08 05:07 PM

"Trappers Stew"

From "Canad in the Rough"

http://www.canadaintherough.com/cooking_s2e13.html

Feeds a small crowd
4 lbs game meats, cut into 1 inch cubes
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ lb bacon, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 large onions, diced
½ cup flour (A.P.)
1 lb mushrooms, quartered
1 cup BBQ sauce
3 Btls beer
1 lb potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes

Season the game meats with salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a large stew pot over medium-high heat and brown the meat in batches.
Remove to a plate.
Brown the bacon in the remaining oil and remove to the same plate.
Add the carrots, celery and onion and cook until they begin to soften.
Add the flour and cook until the oil has been absorbed and a golden brown colour begins to appear on the flour – oil mixture.
Stir in the mushrooms and return the bacon and meat to the pot.
Add the BBQ sauce and the beer.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a slow simmer and allow to cook for 45 minutes.
Add the potatoes to the stew and cook another 20 minutes until the meat and potatoes are tender.
If the mixture starts to thicken along the way, simply add a bit of water. Stir often
Once the meat and vegetables are tender, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.
Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/20/08 11:56 PM

The Deer Hunter" Sausage

Yield 8 lbs

4-lb ground venison
4-lb ground pork
2-tbsp salt
2-tsp black pepper
3/4-tsp mace
1/4-tsp nutmeg
1/4-tsp ground cloves
1/2-tsp allspice
1-tsp garlic powder

Combine all, mix well & stuff into hog casing

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/21/08 06:28 PM

That deer hunter sausage , is that a breakfast, dinner or snack sausage? Sounds good.
One thing I dont quite get though, all the recipes call for equal amounts of pork, I understand needing the fat, but going 50/50 wont that take the deer taste out of it?

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/21/08 11:36 PM

"Home Sausage Making" is not a cast in stone Spice Mix/Meat Mix formula for each type of sausage, there are a great many variables in making a home made sausage - the Most important is Taste - Taste (YOUR Taste!!) - If you don't like the end product - then YUK !! - change it - But - First make up a small batch of spice/mix (less than a cup so that you don't have a large amount of mix to toss out - measure out the mix in teaspoons or total gram weight on a scale, divide the total by the number of pounds you wish to make (1 pound or less trial batch) - If there is a spice taste that you don't like - leave it out - if you think it's lacking something, just add it to the mix and keep trying till you find the taste that you like (don't overdue, (some spices are Strong) - - - Meat Mix - Some meat from deer that are over-heated because of a long after run after being shot will not taste the same as one dropping in place after being shot. - (proper Field dressing is important) If you feel that the deer meat taste is over-ridden by the pork, then use less pork or just use pork fat instead - Remember it's your taste that counts !! - - Sausage can be eaten for breakfast - brunch - or whenever, - makes good sandwiches also - - the choices are endless - You can make the sausage as (fresh-fresh cooked-cured-cured and smoked-snack sticks- etc) If your are going to cure it then use (1/5 tsp per pound or 1 tsp Prague Powder to 5 pounds Meat/Mix) If using Morton Tender Quick it may make it too salty and you may have to back off to 1,1/2 or 2 tsp per pound.- it's all up to you.

One persons Great Sausage recipe may be just So-So to you !!

As mentioned above - It's all up to You and Your Taste - Taste - Taste - - - <(^@^)>
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/22/08 12:25 AM

Easy sausage is:
purchase the same amount of HOT pork sausage as you have ground venison
Mix 50-50
You have thinned the HOT down to MILD (or less, if you add lil more deer)
When you fry it up there is just enough grease to cook eggs with!

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/23/08 03:09 PM

Thanks for that info Tony L. I realy like making sausage.

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/23/08 04:48 PM

Hi Opie - - If you have more questions - just add to this post topic and I will help you out if i can !

Just as a added point of information - most stores that have butchers/cutters and make their inhouse bulk and link sausage use prepared mixes and all they have to do is add the meat called for in the recipe - a package of pre-mixed seasoning will make 25 to 50 pounds depending on the type of sausage (will cost you 4 or 5 dollars per package)- use pre-mixed seasoning when possible, if you have to go out and buy all the individual spices, youll drop maybe $20.00 or so. - try making a trial batch - on your next batch you can increase or decrease the amount of spice mix, or add another spice to jazz it up - there again i'ts all up to you and YOUR taste - - Glad to help you out - - Tony <(^@^)>
Posted By: drock15l

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/23/08 05:00 PM

easy roast recipe in crockpot
1 rump roast
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1 onion
1 garlic clove
slice onion chop garlic but all in crockpot 8-10 hours on low will melt in your mouth. serve the gravy over mashed potatoes and thats it. I have served this to people that wont eat deer because it is too gamey they loved it
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/23/08 05:42 PM

lysanders rub, cook it on the foreman grill

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 11/30/08 12:42 AM

ttt
Posted By: Seaharvester

Re: Anyone have a deer recipe to share? - 12/15/08 11:37 PM

1 lb. Ground deer meat
sautee diced onions and mushrooms in butter
1 cup of rice cooked
1 jar of home made salsa from the summers garden
mix all ingredients and stuff in bell peppers. Then put the top of the pepper on and bake for 45 minutes at 350. Then top off wirh shredded cheddar and put it back in to brown the cheese.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums