Home

Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how?

Posted By: Kansasbert

Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 07:49 PM

OK Ive read a lot of guys say they file three or more teeth on the gripping portion of the camlocks they use.

First, why - has anyone tested it against locks without teeth side by side?

Second, how - what type file do you use(round, flat, size, etc.), how many teeth, how far apart?

Third, are there certain must do's and must dont's?

Ive fooled around with snares some, I put out probably 40 or 50 a year on my coyote and cat line so I am by no means an expert at all but I have gotten my hands dirty a little. Thanks for any explination and advice in advance.
Posted By: phutch30

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 07:55 PM

They file teeth in the lock to reduce the cable slipping back thru the lock. Its a fairly common problem with camlocks. It helps the lock "lock" down and choke down the critter. Instead of going thru all that hassel I just use an amberge lock. No slipping with that.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 07:57 PM

The reason for filing the teeth is to get the cam lock to lock better on the cable, seems the new cam locks on the smaller cable isn't catching and holding as good as the older ones did, so they are relaxing some after a lock up on an animal.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 08:48 PM

I was told the cam lock has a better design than the Amberg. I prefer a Long Line Death lock from O'Gorman. These won't normally freeze up with freezing rain or melting snow.T.20

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 08:54 PM

Thats interesting you say that about the amberg lock T 20, I have been talking to some about them and they have told me they work better then the cam lock, looks like I am going to have to look at them and the long line death lock also, thanks for that tid bit of information.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 09:02 PM

Cat, I forget I think the cam had bracket type hinge and the Amberg has a single, on one side, but then I can't remember for sure. T.20..........let me know what you figure out!

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 09:17 PM

OK so, what I can gather from responses so far is:

When using smaller diameter cable with cam locks, the lock has a tendancy to slip and become more of a relaxing type lock. To avoid this problem trappers are filing grooves on the gripping surface of the lock to make it a more posative locking device as it was origonally intended.

Also, it seems from the responses made that the Amberg, and long line O'gorman locks take care of the problem without any alteration to the lock.

I wonder if the new snare shop slim lock would act similar or if it is a relaxing lock?

Also does anyone have any pictures or detailed instructions as to filing the cam locks they wouldnt mind sharing?

Thanks guys for the responses so far, and for any additional information.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 09:23 PM

I have some that are filed but I don't have pictures of them, when I get home I will take som and post them if someone else hasn't by then.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 09:30 PM

cool thanks trax, I appreciate all your help

Rob
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 10:45 PM

Guys is it the cables diameter or the "slickness" of the 1x19 cable for the reasons to file teeth?

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 10:51 PM

Thanks bushmaster thats what mine look like after I'm done with them too.

MChewk I think it has to do with the cable diameter and the way the lock piece is stamped out, kind of high on one side and has a slight curve in the middle of the locking surface.
Posted By: k9.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 11:33 PM

You want a checkering file if you are going to file your locks. Just makes it a more aggressive lock.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 08/27/07 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Kansasbert
I wonder if the new snare shop slim lock would act similar or if it is a relaxing lock?

It is not a Slim Lock, Newt will hang you for that. lol It's a micro lock, and it is nothing like a cam lock in staying locked down from what I hear, though I have not used them...

Look here for more on them...
http://snaremantalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4119

I have used Grawes Bullet locks and BMI mini locks and they both lock up tight and stay that way, no slipping. Their designs don't lend them to the use of a kill spring very easily though.

~ADC~

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/03/07 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
Here's a pic of a camlock with the teeth manufactured on it....

If you are going to file them on, use a triangular file....and you don't need to file all the way to the end of the arm.

Bush, where can a person buy them?
Posted By: k9.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/03/07 04:50 PM

Try Marty Senniker

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/03/07 08:56 PM

Old Marty has been pretty quiet lately...YO MARTY..chime in here would ya?
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/03/07 11:57 PM

ADC,Think you got that backwards,Newt has the slim lok and snare shop has the micro lok.Look alot alike but the micro lok appears to have a slight bend in it where the slim does not.
I stand corrected.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/04/07 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bob maier
ADC,Think you got that backwards,Newt has the slim lok and snare shop has the micro lok.Look alot alike but the micro lok appears to have a slight bend in it where the slim does not.

No, I had it right. I was replying to the quote from kansasbert.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/04/07 12:28 AM

I'm with Phatch30. Buy the Amburg. If-You want a lock with moving parts.

Most so called "Lock Failure" is due to the Snareman ,Not the lock

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/05/07 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ADC
 Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
Here's a pic of a camlock with the teeth manufactured on it....

Bush, where can a person buy them?

ttt
Posted By: WhiskeyJack

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/05/07 09:38 PM

Fully assembled snares

There are no individual cam listed but I got a couple dozen with my last order

They are also listed on page 57 of the catalog as modified cam locks three sizes. Halford

Can also get a hold of Marty S.

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/05/07 09:44 PM

Whisky Jack those say with filed teeth, not sure but I believe the one Bushmaster has pictured looks to be stamped out that way. That or someone is awefully good with a file.
Posted By: WhiskeyJack

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/05/07 09:46 PM

Look at the halford link page 57

“Land Shark” Modified Cam
Lock. Machined with gripping
teeth to “bite” hard into your
snare cable. Designed to work
with humane, compression
spring-based “quick dispatch”
snare systems but will also
work with conventional snares.

there is a cam lock file designed to do this on page 58.
Posted By: Pete

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/05/07 10:52 PM

If you guys are intrested Marty has a great posted on the Canadian national trappers alliance website regarding lock filing and setting.
cheers
pete
Posted By: Pete

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/06/07 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete
If you guys are intrested Marty has a great posted on the Canadian national trappers alliance website regarding lock filing and setting.
cheers
pete

sorry I should have put in the website. go to http://www.trapper.ca and that will get you started.
cheers
Pete
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/06/07 08:34 AM

Thanks Pete, very interesting site. Tom
Posted By: Cachottier

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/06/07 11:53 AM

Quote:
where can a person buy them?

Click on this http://www.leurresforget.com then go on the dealer page and find Halford hide in Alberta, Canada.... They have them and they sell them.

They also have black Cams.

Hope that help?

Re: Filing teeth on cam locks - why, how? - 09/06/07 02:21 PM

Thanks Stef.
© 2021 Trapperman Forums