Home

Coyote Behavior........

Posted By: BlueRidgeTrapper

Coyote Behavior........ - 01/24/10 12:11 PM

When trapping an area do you guys hope to pick up pups or adults first? What's the reasoning?
Posted By: FlatSet

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/24/10 01:15 PM

I want to catch the adults first and mainly the female. The pups are still pretty insecure in the fall yet and will hang around for awhile after the adults have been removed. I have caught the male and pup before and had the area go dead. Ive also caught one pup and had the area go dead for over a week and then caught another pup and then nothing. This was a pasture that I will normally take 7-9 coyotes out of in November.

My thoughts are that the female will still have maternal instincts over the pups and if she feels that there is danger that she will move them out of the area. The male I dont think has the same strong feelings and will keep his territory so you can catch him around but might take a bit and some special sets if he's seen the pups in traps.

Every female I catch i split open her uterus and see and count the placental scars to know what I have in the area.
Posted By: BlueRidgeTrapper

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/24/10 09:54 PM

Thanks Flatset, can always rely on you for a good answer.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 05:54 AM

Flatset said it pretty well. The female can also stop them from checking a set if she is there with the young ones. Young coyotes sometimes are chicken on territorial sets. It is good to get both adults first.
Posted By: Ridgerunner

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 04:14 PM

So how do you go about targeting a specific adult Coyote...over a young one?...I set traps and catch both adult and young ones, but I have no control, that I'm aware of ,of which one works the set...the adults or youngsters...

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:35 PM

To target adult coyotes you need to understand what they are doing, what their agenda is and what interests or drives them. Using specific coyote lures and coyote urine is the second step. Territory and sex seem to be the main themes for adult coyotes. I tend to catch most of my adult coyote in flatsets in this fashion. Pups are mostly caught in dirtholes. Fox gland lure and urine are also more attractive to pups but adults will also check them out.

I would suggest reading Slim's and Ogormans books and they give alot of insight about coyote behhavior.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:41 PM

Here in Indiana I catch all my yotes in dirtholes..Adult and juvenile alike...sometimes you;ll have an adult and sometimes a youngster...guess which ever one walks by the set and decides to work it...I'll take em all..lol..I'm not picky. Do you have any pics of your flatsets.....Flatset? I've put flatsets out, but catch twice as many in dirtholes..maybe I should try more flatsets...I do pick up alot of youngers coyotes..especially lately.
Posted By: Blackdog

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:48 PM

Dang!! I'm happy just catching the 1st dumb dog that comes along. smile

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Blackdog
Dang!! I'm happy just catching the 1st dumb dog that comes along. smile

They have to be dumb for me to catch em..I always put a trip stick so they trip and fall into my sets by accident..lol.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:53 PM

Trip Stick!! Now you got me thinking! wink

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/25/10 11:56 PM

I'm a pioneering guy in the Ignorance Dept..blazing a trail...RR

By the way Blackdog I love that site of yours..Scentpost forum is awesome!

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 12:41 AM

Well coyotes are well known for not reading the manuals or following the rules....lol. I will take all the dumb ones that stumble in my sets too, thats just the way I trap. I caught mom and a pup this year on a farm and guess what.......mom was caught in the dirthole and baby boy was in the flatset...go figure.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridgerunner
By the way Blackdog I love that site of yours..Scentpost forum is awesome!

Ridge, We may not catch my Alpha females but at least we can look at them there! laugh

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:00 AM

This is one of my favorite flatsets. Tuft of green grass transplanted out in a bean field along a travel area.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:09 AM

Dan, Seems like the only places i could trap this year were the bean fields. Corn is still up in alot of my areas.

I like the transplant idea! Great tip Dan!
Posted By: trapper30

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:15 AM

yeah i dont get much action at the flat sets either dirt holes seem to work much better for me but when i put the traps out it normally rains so it may was away my urine and lure

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:18 AM

Yep, it was the same way down here. I really slacked off on the dogs this fall. I had crops in every field I trap and couldn't get back in to half the areas I trap because of it. Talking to Todd during the season he was doing pretty good. Figured with the way the market was sounding too, I only trapped what I thought I could sell privately. My regular buyer retired and wasn't buying anymore so I figured why trap a bunch of fur I couldn't sell. Just hoping it doesn't backfire on me this summer with the sheep in the pastures.
Posted By: bic

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:21 AM

This fall, the first yote I caught off this new farm was a large adult female. I had the brainstorm to take her bladder urine and fecal matter to use on post sets in the same area to catch her litter. I waited a couple days so they would be missing mamma. I put out 3 urine posts in that immediate area that I caught her in. The next day the plan definitely worked! The pups returned and STOLE all 3 of my posts. Unfortunately, I had no more of her urine to try that setup again.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:26 AM

Bic I've had em steal my scent post too...They'll steal them charred scent posts everytime..

Blackdog..I think I looked at every one of those Alpha females trapping photos three different times...lol

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:30 AM

picked up this young male yesterday in a haymound set...Rain has been a pain here too..he got a bath..Looked like a young one to me..

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:30 AM

RR, you got my attention and my curiosity got the best of me. I registered and had to check it out...... told Troy.........see how that works.........LOL

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:32 AM

lol...gotta love it!
Posted By: bad karma

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 01:35 AM

You need Slim in on this. Wrote the book.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 02:34 AM

What book..? I'll order it tonight...
Posted By: bad karma

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridgerunner
What book..? I'll order it tonight...

Here:
http://www.slimpedersen.net/books.html

Slim is on here regularly. Send him a pm and pick his brain.

Re: Coyote Behavior........ - 01/26/10 12:04 PM

Thanks bad karma..
© 2022 Trapperman Forums