No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Northern Lights [Re: harleydparts] #6499264
03/24/19 08:31 AM
03/24/19 08:31 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by harleydparts
In 37 years of trailer trucking across I-80 and I-90 I've never seen them. Susan and I are talking about figuring out the best time/best place to see them and getting a flight there. Seems important to see them before we die.

I agree, it's on my "bucket list."

Years ago I was fishing with some friends in Ontario near the Nagagami river. Our host came over one morning as we were getting ready for a day of fishing and commented, "you shoulda seen the lights last night, they really put on a show."

I told him if it happened again he should get me up, I don't care what time it is.

Eh...wot?

Re: Northern Lights [Re: wetdog] #6499267
03/24/19 08:37 AM
03/24/19 08:37 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Watching the " Northern Light's " is something I've enjoyed as long as I remember. The video of them I really enjoyed was from Yellow Knife if my memory is correct. My folks and I enjoyed watching them when given the chance , they both are gone now so it's up to me to do the same with my grandkids now.
Ken needs to demonstrate his whistling I think ha ha

Re: Northern Lights [Re: wetdog] #6499379
03/24/19 10:10 AM
03/24/19 10:10 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Maybe ten years ago or more , some weird atmospheric thing caused them to be visible here in Oklahoma. Wasn't real dramatic , kinda looked like a large grass fire lighting up the northern horizon in reds and dark orange. Still very cool , though.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Northern Lights [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6499504
03/24/19 12:01 PM
03/24/19 12:01 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by white17

If you whistle loudly they will move and shimmer more

LOL, that don't work. You're thinking they're like a bunch of snipe hunters with burlap bangs, eh?

Really ?? After all these years !! Dang!!

Seriously, there are some pretty peculiar 'beliefs' among various groups about the behavior and 'abilities' of the lights. The whistling belief is one of them. Abduction by the lights is another.

Mean As Nails
Re: Northern Lights [Re: wetdog] #6499701
03/24/19 03:41 PM
03/24/19 03:41 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
They are somewhat common here. Great lightshows are not common though. We get a green shimmer many times a year, with reds mixed in occasionally. We have had, at least a couple times, shows that were nearly Arctic in grandeur......so bright you could read by them, with none stop multi-colored rolling and shimmering that seemed to raise up and meet right over our heads. One time like that was during the warmer months and we got to lay on our backs on the lawn and watch it for hours. Those type of shows are very rare, but the green shimmer is maybe bi-monthly or so. The earliest I can remember seeing them was in October of '68. The only reason I know that is based on where I lived that fall.

edit....our local news channel is good at letting us know when to expect a good show.

Last edited by J.Morse; 03/24/19 03:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread