Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: red mt] #6938709
07/22/20 03:54 PM
07/22/20 03:54 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Pud DID exist, and O'Gorman certainly made sure people knew his name.....and we CAN compare and contrast with Pud and his catches and the time-frame and limited equipment and cyanide gun use vs traps etc.

That's easy..........

What I've NEVER been able to do is compare and contrast myself or other trappers FAR more successful than me to these "unknowns", as we've got no information or data or time frame to do just that.......all we know is this: "There are some really good big numbers guys out there that no one knows about"

Hard to argue that its NOT true, but conversely, hard to argue about it at all....................

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: Zagman] #6938820
07/22/20 05:34 PM
07/22/20 05:34 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Zagman
Pud DID exist, and O'Gorman certainly made sure people knew his name.....and we CAN compare and contrast with Pud and his catches and the time-frame and limited equipment and cyanide gun use vs traps etc.

That's easy..........

What I've NEVER been able to do is compare and contrast myself or other trappers FAR more successful than me to these "unknowns", as we've got no information or data or time frame to do just that.......all we know is this: "There are some really good big numbers guys out there that no one knows about"

Hard to argue that its NOT true, but conversely, hard to argue about it at all....................

MZ

I agree with you whether not somebody knows about about someone somewhere that someone makes good catches coyotes.
You have done well at being able to adapt as are is anyone able to make respectfull catches.
I knew you knew who Pud was but I brought it up because some others may not or never heard of him.

Last edited by red mt; 07/22/20 05:38 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: 12 point] #6938929
07/22/20 07:29 PM
07/22/20 07:29 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box and I have enjoyed your writing on the subject Mark. I like to know where, what, when, and why myself. That's a hard pill to swallow when it comes to coyotes. Seems just when I think I have it down some minuscule little detail changes and it all goes out the window. I'm going to pay to play this season and see how many of the stinky dogs I can line up. I might have to cut down the tree near my driveway so I can get this sand hot enough to melt some wax here pretty quick. Never thought I'd cuss a shade tree.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: 12 point] #6939389
07/23/20 06:43 AM
07/23/20 06:43 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
you can't cut the ONLY tree in Nebraska!!!!

Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: 12 point] #6939587
07/23/20 10:16 AM
07/23/20 10:16 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Talking to Robert about his quest and he had some really bad weather to deal with last year and from what he says. It's drill a dirt hole with his power auger bed a trap In peat if needed no lure just bait and pee.
Sounds like he dealt with a lot of muddy conditions last year and just shoves the mud out of the way and re sets using peat.

He's going to repeat the quest this coming season. And I'm betting If any one of you guys want to run with him for a few days he would be Ok with It.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: 12 point] #6939609
07/23/20 10:31 AM
07/23/20 10:31 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I've had some decent success with Mark's pipe dream set. It didn't work so well in the beginning, but I was able to make 'em work eventually. The two things I changed were "Too much grass over trap" and "Pipe sticking out like a sore thumb" as Mark mentioned.

During freeze up and snow, I use a combination of waxed sand and peat moss for blending.

Like Mark, I began trapping in the mid-70s, bought the usual books, was neurotic about scent control, and still managed to catch stuff without YouTube or TMan. By the way, I don't know if you caught it but Mark did mentioned "the secret" to big numbers in the video....

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: The Beav] #6939693
07/23/20 11:48 AM
07/23/20 11:48 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by The Beav
Talking to Robert about his quest and he had some really bad weather to deal with last year and from what he says. It's drill a dirt hole with his power auger bed a trap In peat if needed no lure just bait and pee.
Sounds like he dealt with a lot of muddy conditions last year and just shoves the mud out of the way and re sets using peat.

He's going to repeat the quest this coming season. And I'm betting If any one of you guys want to run with him for a few days he would be Ok with It.

I hope there is a market to do that Beav.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: 12 point] #6939708
07/23/20 12:00 PM
07/23/20 12:00 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I think with Robert It's an obsession to get It done. He was talking 1500 the last time I talked to him. But this time around he would also be using snares.
The secret to big numbers Is your work ethics. When you start In Oct and finish up In March and your covering 3 or 4 states and running 140 sets a day your going to put up big numbers. But at what cost?

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Advantages/disadvantages freeze proofing sets [Re: The Beav] #6939736
07/23/20 12:24 PM
07/23/20 12:24 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by The Beav
The secret to big numbers Is your work ethics. When you start In Oct and finish up In March and your covering 3 or 4 states and running 140 sets a day your going to put up big numbers. But at what cost?

Bingo! And it's never been a secret.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91