Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Way to keep Trapstickman busy and out of trouble! Have you noticed any cutting? Our water down here freezes some years, and stays open other years, but your about finished for fur by the end of Feb. Season runs through end of Mar, and on water that you get frequent travelers, They get cut to ribbons shortly after ice out.....if there is any. One year, I had a pair of yearlings set up housekeeping on a little creek, and flooded a field crossing. Farmer friend wanted them gone! Beaver weren't worth catching, especially that early. So I snared the one, first night, shoved him in a cage and hauled him about fifeteen miles down the river and kicked him out. Caught the female the next day, and hauled her the same place. Told the farmer his beaver were gone, about five days later, he said you didn't get them all. I said it was just a pair! I went and looked, they had the dam back up. This time I set conis, and caught them both a day later. Same male, missing parts of his tail, cuts on his back, wearing a fresh snare mark, and had picked up a new lady friend coming back home. Dang things are almost homing pigeons!

They have shown evidence of being bit up for sure but most of what I am seeing are festered old wounds. Of course since I am selling on the carcass the fresh wounds would not show up very well. Most of the fur will go to hatters anyway. It's amazing how far they must travel during their spring dispersal.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!