No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: KeithC] #7597095
06/03/22 12:55 AM
06/03/22 12:55 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
KeithC  Online Content OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
A small turtle back scraper, made out of a chert nodule. I found it on my farm. I noticed it a few days ago and finally picked it up today.

The rounded spot on the right was pecked and then ground out to hold the maker's thumb. There are scratches where a smaller rock was moved back and forth, to deepen the hole and produce some grip on the smooth chert.

[Linked Image]

The upper right side is steak knife sharp. Flakes were knocked off on both sides and the edge was ground too. The bottom edge had a series of shallow flakes knocked off and then was ground to hold the side of the maker's index finger.

The ident for the index finger is deep enough that the index finger would not touch the item being scraped. The scraper was used enough there is the start of a polished area going down from the sharp edge in what looks like a triangle with a small square on the edge. The polished area looks lighter grey in the picture.

[Linked Image]

The fairly straight edge on the left, is the steak knife like one.

[Linked Image]

It may be a small flesher.

Keith

Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: waggler] #7597126
06/03/22 06:26 AM
06/03/22 06:26 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by waggler
In no way do I mean this to demean Native Americans, but have you ever wondered; If Europeans had never landed in the western hemisphere would the Indians still be in the stone-age? I think they would be. Just think, the eastern hemisphere in the computer age and here in north America it would still be as is was before Columbus discovered this place.

It amazes me that the rest of the world discovered bronze and iron thousands of years ago, yet the native Americans were still in the stone-age. I wonder why?

Not exactly right because they were smelting copper around 3500 bp in North America (Lake Superior region) and making projectile points from them.

Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: KeithC] #7597138
06/03/22 06:56 AM
06/03/22 06:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
This small piece of chert is similar to yours Kieth. It's old. I picked it up on some private property in NM known to have been settled before the Apaches showed up. I suspect it was a multi purpose tool. Used to cut meat as well as a fleshing tool. I have been told that often a simple flake was used as a blade but this was deliberately shaped. I think it could also be a preform.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by danny clifton; 06/03/22 07:46 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: Northof50] #7597217
06/03/22 08:36 AM
06/03/22 08:36 AM
Michigan
coonlove Offline
trapper
coonlove  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Originally Posted by Northof50
In no way do I mean this to demean Native Americans, but have you ever wondered; If Europeans had never landed in the western hemisphere would the Indians still be in the stone-age? I think they would be. Just think, the eastern hemisphere in the computer age and here in north America it would still be as is was before Columbus discovered this place.

It amazes me that the rest of the world discovered bronze and iron thousands of years ago, yet the native Americans were still in the stone-age. I wonder why?

Not exactly right because they were smelting copper around 3500 bp in North America (Lake Superior region) and making projectile points from them.

Old Copper Culture artifacts from the Great Lakes were cold hammered to shape. There is no evidence of smelting.

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: danny clifton] #7597297
06/03/22 11:44 AM
06/03/22 11:44 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by danny clifton
This small piece of chert is similar to yours Kieth. It's old. I picked it up on some private property in NM known to have been settled before the Apaches showed up. I suspect it was a multi purpose tool. Used to cut meat as well as a fleshing tool. I have been told that often a simple flake was used as a blade but this was deliberately shaped. I think it could also be a preform.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes, it's the same basic tool. Once the sharp edge was lost, with a little grinding of the edge or the knapping off a few flakes, the scrapers were sharp and ready to use again.

Keith

Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: KeithC] #8004899
11/27/23 02:47 AM
11/27/23 02:47 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content OP
trapper
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Has anyone found any interesting Native American artifacts recently? If so please post them.

I am still unable to walk, so I haven't found much this year.

Keith

Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: Northof50] #8004909
11/27/23 03:32 AM
11/27/23 03:32 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by Northof50

I don't know if "smelting" would really be the correct term, If they were merely melting native copper (like nuggets), then that would be understandable. However, if they were smelting ores containing copper compounds like sulfides and oxides, then I would find that truly amazing. The reason gold and to a lesser extent silver was being used in Mesoamerica is because those metals a often found in their native state. The only other metals that are occasionally found that way are the platinum group metals and copper. All other metals require some pretty advance understanding of technology in order to recover from ores.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Some Stone Artifacts [Re: KeithC] #8027844
12/22/23 09:01 AM
12/22/23 09:01 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Very nice collections! Thank you all for sharing.
Here's a piece a friend found on his wife's family farm. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gary Benson; 12/22/23 09:02 AM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread