No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: $380 a Barrel for Oil ????????????????? [Re: Canvasback2] #7618855
07/04/22 01:27 AM
07/04/22 01:27 AM
Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
V
VaBeagler Offline
trapper
VaBeagler  Offline
trapper
V

Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
Hopefully the worm will turn with the midterms.
My wife, daughter, and mother in law went to our beach house in south Carolina last week. Wife was tickled about buying gas for 4.11. That's what's sad. We are being conditioned to think that 3.99 is a bargain. I won't be happy until it's 1.79 again.

Re: $380 a Barrel for Oil ????????????????? [Re: white17] #7618994
07/04/22 10:05 AM
07/04/22 10:05 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by white17

I also believe that speculators will exit the market way before we reach that price level. The risk far outweighs the potential reward. It would be far too likely for government to step in and essentially nationalize the oil industry for "national security" reasons. No investor or speculator wants to be holding the bag at that point.

I believe the consensus of most would be that people can and do lose money in markets. I also doubt they do so intentionally. After a good run in a market and it starts getting tired there will be a point of profit taking and/or moving to another month in which there will be a reversal in the present trend. That is the time in which commission houses (that is what they used to call them anyway) start putting out hype to attract new money. In an up market that would be a bull trap and the new interest will cause an up movement which is actually the first wave in a Elliot down cycle. If the commercials have a heavy interest and didn't get turned around then it may take a double top or even a third for a head and shoulders. A small guy with a couple contracts can easily get in and out without even making a new tick. Commercials with thousands of contracts can't just dump their contracts or they would fall under their own weight. Hunt brothers and their speculation had that problem. They owned a lot and couldn't sell without killing the price. They couldn't keep it because interest and storage was eating them up. They was in a difficult quandrum. Greed tends to blind the speculator. Too bad because the speculator does provide a necessary component for a free market.

Re: $380 a Barrel for Oil ????????????????? [Re: Canvasback2] #7619010
07/04/22 10:27 AM
07/04/22 10:27 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
As others have said, either from a more pure economic or socioeconomic assessment, it would be doubtful if oil would reach $380 a barrel. One of the reasons includes, as others pointed out, would be the multi-scale social upheaval happening around the planet. If the USA wasn't actually in open rebellion/retaking of our government, there would be plenty of places that would be. Oil powers the world, especially in getting food commodities from one place to another. Counties that have sizable populations but don't have the ability to feed themselves would be the first candidates for such revolutions. Egypt and Pakistan come to mind fairly quick, but probably multiple others as well.

Given that this #$380 barrel" talk supposedly came out of some Sniffy and the minions (or the minions and Sniffy) discussions, a person has to wonder if its a start by the current "administration" to start paving the road to un**** themselves politically by throwing the more green progressives "under the bus" and receind some of Sniffy's earlier anti- U.S./North American oil decisions. Nothing goes into much of the MSM without a purpose...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: $380 a Barrel for Oil ????????????????? [Re: Foxpaw] #7619207
07/04/22 03:20 PM
07/04/22 03:20 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Originally Posted by white17

I also believe that speculators will exit the market way before we reach that price level. The risk far outweighs the potential reward. It would be far too likely for government to step in and essentially nationalize the oil industry for "national security" reasons. No investor or speculator wants to be holding the bag at that point.

I believe the consensus of most would be that people can and do lose money in markets. I also doubt they do so intentionally. After a good run in a market and it starts getting tired there will be a point of profit taking and/or moving to another month in which there will be a reversal in the present trend. That is the time in which commission houses (that is what they used to call them anyway) start putting out hype to attract new money. In an up market that would be a bull trap and the new interest will cause an up movement which is actually the first wave in a Elliot down cycle. If the commercials have a heavy interest and didn't get turned around then it may take a double top or even a third for a head and shoulders. A small guy with a couple contracts can easily get in and out without even making a new tick. Commercials with thousands of contracts can't just dump their contracts or they would fall under their own weight. Hunt brothers and their speculation had that problem. They owned a lot and couldn't sell without killing the price. They couldn't keep it because interest and storage was eating them up. They was in a difficult quandrum. Greed tends to blind the speculator. Too bad because the speculator does provide a necessary component for a free market.

There would also be a tremendous temptation to get short at that point. Pretty dangerous either way at that point.

But I suspect markets would not trade if the feds nationalized the industry. I am actually surprised that Biden hasn't tried to do just that, by using the War Production Act. That would really cause some fireworks and dislocations !

Mean As Nails
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread