No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728213
11/27/22 01:11 PM
11/27/22 01:11 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Jacks
Osky

The reason why I was thinking that size of caliber is the gentleman I talked so said he use to do a .223 and find that to be too light on coyotes at times. I know a .243 would be better on fur than 6.5 but I feel the fur days are over and will never come back or make it less interesting for me to bother going through the effort to put it up. so if fur damage is not a concern the 6.5 would make it better for things like hogs if I want to go south later or larger gun if I remove the thermal and use it as deer gun, or out west gun which I know a .243 is capable also.

I certainly understand that Jacks. The guy who I’ve been out with is a rep for one of the above mentioned manufacturers and I won’t get into the minutia as they all have their shpeel. Real important to him was as little recoil as possible as I mentioned above specifically for night multiples.
Even a Creed or .243 with a brake would actually fit that bill as well.
However you go, keep us updated on your successes, always willing to learn.
Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728215
11/27/22 01:14 PM
11/27/22 01:14 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
I highly recommend a scanner with built in laser rangefinder. I’m not sure who all makes them but the ones I’ve used were binocular style. Knowing range is the most difficult part of thermal hunting for me. It’s nice to stay on the scanner and keep rangefinder going until animal is in comfortable kill range then switch to the rifle.

I’ve got the Banish 30 suppressor and have no complaints, bought it originally for a 308 but now it stays permanently on my 22-250. I don’t think it is quite as effective suppressing the 22 calibers as would one built specifically for them.

Last edited by Tray; 11/27/22 01:24 PM.
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728224
11/27/22 01:19 PM
11/27/22 01:19 PM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
Pulsar thermion lrf

CBCS
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728248
11/27/22 01:38 PM
11/27/22 01:38 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I’ve got the Banish 30 suppressor and have no complaints, bought it originally for a 308 but now it stays permanently on my 22-250. I don’t think it is quite as effective suppressing the 22 calibers as would one built specifically for them.

That's what I was curious about. Thanks

Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728258
11/27/22 01:48 PM
11/27/22 01:48 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by gman
49'r What can you tell me about the Banish 30. Was just looking at buying one yesterday. Not sure about a multi caliber can though. Thanks for any info!!

Gman, I like mine. It shoots well on my 223s up to 7mm. My next one will be a Banish .223 it will do .224 on down to rimfir. SC has gotten the buying experience down pat, can do it all from home. They also have the trust process down to a science. You will want to put it in a trust so your kids or a buddy can use it. Also if you die and it's not in a trust all your heirs have is a headache.

Ron, I shouldn't say I recommend handheld there really isn't a difference I suppose. Take it off the helmet now it's a handheld lol. Ron 1280 is the resolution kind of a long the lines as a digital camera. Remember all these things are is a fancy computer. Typically they come in 320 and 640. Mine is 320, next one will be 640. IMHO a good scope is definitely more important than a great scanner. You aren't shooting them with the scanner. If your budget is that high just get a Halo xrf. You won't be disapointed. I don't know of any local dealers. I believe there is one in Watertown SD and Bismarck. One in Lecenter MN.

Id suggest something other than the AR 10 in the 7.5. AR 10s are heavy. I can almost see what you are possibly envisioning. 6.5 22 inch plus heavy barrel. Put a 9 inch can on that and it will weigh a ton. I would recommend starting out with a .223, build it yourself or find someone that can do it and use quality parts. Say an 18 inch inch medium light barrel. A guy can build a heck of a nice gun for 1500. If it don't work out you have a heck of a home defense rifle or an adequate deer gun for grand kids. If you have your mind set on an AR 10Bthen do both

Osky my preference is any type of 6mm as well, I've been shooting a 700 .243 forever, not overly fur friendly but with marginal hits the critter is deep do so.

I have been running my thermal on a 223, if I ever get time to finish load development I'm going to put it on a 20 practical I built this summer. My thought process is the vast majority are shot under 150 yes. I'm already second guessing myself though on that caliber though, we will see. If nothing else it will make a great pd gun. I'd I don't like it then I'm either going to build a 223 akley improved or maybe a 243 wssm, I'd sure like to stay in the ar 15 platform.

Here is my night rifle

20 practical, 22 inch medium fluted Shilen barrel chambered by DTech in Bemidji, Superhogster thermal, Banish 30 can. I'm going to shorten the can to 7 inch.

aOg3mMu.jpg

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728480
11/27/22 07:00 PM
11/27/22 07:00 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
AN/Pas-13 Thermal sight by RATHEON is one of the best available to civilians for now. You'll spend a few bucks on this.

Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728558
11/27/22 08:27 PM
11/27/22 08:27 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
NVision is the best in 640 resolution. Trijicon hasn't kept up with NVision. If budget is truly not an issue, IRAY has a 1280 scope out. There is nothing on the civilian market that can compare.

https://irayusa.com/rs75

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Thermal hunting [Re: Jacks] #7728752
11/28/22 12:51 AM
11/28/22 12:51 AM
Wisconsin
V
Voltron Offline
trapper
Voltron  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
I have the Banish 30 and have no complaints. Silencer Central is really good to work with and they make it really easy, waiting is the hardest part.

As far as scanners, I didn't spend a whole lot of money one mine. I have the Pulsar Axion XQ32 and it's ok, but there are better for the price point. I don't care about quality or a rangefinder so much in the scanner, I just need to know something is there. I can ID a target out to 200 yards fairly well, but I rely on my scope for quality and range. As mentioned, I would recommend getting the best quality scope with a rangefinder built in rather than worrying about it on a scanner. Scanners just let you know something is there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread