Home

How do some people sleep at night

Posted By: Cougarw

How do some people sleep at night - 01/20/18 11:44 PM

I brought my 12' tilt bed trailer down to the dealer I bought it from to put a heavier axel on it. When he finished they put it in the back lot and was stolen that night. He won't turn it in to his insurance because is rates will go up. And is only offering me $1000 for my loss. It will cost me right at $2000 to replace it. I told him that wasn't right and he said he wasn't taking it all in the shorts and needed to cut his loss.
I haven't accepted anything yet, not sure what to do.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/20/18 11:51 PM

Apparently it's pretty easy to just go down to his lot at night and pick out the one you want.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/20/18 11:57 PM

A 2000 dollar trailer will make his rate go up? He probably has a higher deductible than that. Think I'd tell him I was going to bad mouth him to everyone I know if he doesn't make it right. He took your trailer and was responsible for it till you picked it up.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/20/18 11:59 PM

Might be a great scam for him report it to the police and get a report, did you have it insured if so claim the loss and let the insurance companies fight it out.
Posted By: corky

Suggest to him that you intend to file a police report saying you left it with him and now he won't return it therefore he must have stolen it. That should get things moving in the right direction.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Make sure a police report has been made even if you have to initiate it and send them to the dealer. Unless you signed something that lets him off the hook, he was responsible for your trailer when it was stolen. He is a dealer and he can replace it via insurance or out of his pocket...his choice. I would not accept less than replacement with a comparable value trailer. Replacing it out of pocket at his wholesale cost might be the best route for him.

And sounds like this is not the first time this has happened so he already knows his security lacking.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:00 AM

Perfect for Small Claims Court
OR
some TV stations have a "Wants to Know" or "Consumer Report" department where they try to get the "vendor" to do right on your behalf.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:01 AM

Meet the Sheriff down there to generate a report . You will need it for further action and the owner may not like the heat and hopefully will do the right thing

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:02 AM

He called the police and reported it stolen. That's as far as it went. This has happened to him before so I think he knows how to play the game.

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:06 AM

Also, he does not sell tilt beds any more. I did find one an hr north of me that's the same as what I had.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Cougarw
He called the police and reported it stolen. That's as far as it went. This has happened to him before so I think he knows how to play the game.

So he says. Can you get a copy of police report ? Can you prove the value ? Take him to court
Posted By: cmcf

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:09 AM

I would ask politely but firmly for replacement of trailer of equal or greater value. If no satisfaction, small claims. Here it is twenty five bucks to file and one hundred for a subpoena. Very easy and no lawyer needed. If he had possession of the trailer when it was stolen it's on him. Go to your local library and ask a librarian to show you their law section. Look up a term called "Bailee". It describes the responsibility of a business or a person that takes possession of your personal property and then either loses it or it is stolen from them. A police report is essential. I am not a lawyer but
perhaps one of the members that is a lawyer will chime in. Hope your luck gets better.
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:19 AM

You could sleep at night if you would have placed Insurance on that $2000 trailer you so lost. Period
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 12:56 AM

I'd go to the police department and explain that the missing trailer is yours and he shop owner wont make good on it. Explain that you would like a copy of the police report to take to your insurance company. Then, I would take the guy to court and ask your insurance company what they would recommend that you do. If he is claiming it and not reimbursing you then its fraud and the insurance companies don't like fraud, whether its against them or another firm.

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumb Catcher
You could sleep at night if you would have placed Insurance on that $2000 trailer you so lost. Period

According to the OP he didn't loose it. He took it to the DEALER he bought it from. While it was in the possession of the DEALER it was stolen. If you took your personal vehicle to a dealership for repairs would you feel like you needed comprehensive auto insurance just in case the DEALER sold it or it was stolen or someone crashed another vehicle into it. Sounds to me like you believe the children's saying
Losers weepers Finders keepers. The grown-up world dose not work that way.
Posted By: ilbucksndux

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:08 AM

Im not sure if this fits here but in Illinois if something has its own title it has to be insured separately. Example. I was using a boat that my buddy had. We had a huge storm blow through and a limb ended up in the middle of his boat. My insurance would not pay for it since a boat and trailer have their own title and should carry their own insurance. Being this guy runs a business Im not sure how it plays out .
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:16 AM

YOU make a police report, your property was stolen. Call your home owners insurance, if it is not covered under your homeowners policy ask for advice (does a business have to post or tell you who their insurance company is?) If you can find out who his insurance company is you can make it hot for him. Call your auto insurance and ask for advice. Call the local judges office and ask for advice, you'd be surprised how much a judges secretary knows. Call your states attorney generals office, they can point you towards any law covering this situation. Pull threads and make notes, follow the tracks and you'll find the perfect location for the set. Lastly, hire a lawyer, sue the crook and make sure to get compensation for all legal costs and your time in this.
Make notes, when you took it in, when you discovered it was stolen, when, where and who you spoke to, what was said. Be calm, clear and factual when talking to folks, always remember it's not personal to them, just business. Conduct it as such, just business. This guy is blowing smoke, handle this with intelligence and he'll quickly find you've lite the fire.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: cmcf
Originally Posted By: Thumb Catcher

According to the OP he didn't loose it. He took it to the DEALER he bought it from. While it was in the possession of the DEALER it was stolen. If you took your personal vehicle to a dealership for repairs would you feel like you needed comprehensive auto insurance just in case the DEALER sold it or it was stolen or someone crashed another vehicle into it. Sounds to me like you believe the children's saying
Losers weepers Finders keepers. The grown-up world dose not work that way.

That is unfortunate that your trailer was stolen. Most dealerships have you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for stolen items. Honestly having your own insurance is the only way to "insure" your own property from criminals. I'm betting that small claims will find for the business owner. I hate thieves.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:54 AM

The longer you wait to even file a report to your insurance or get one from the police, the harder it will be to get anything.

Just because you file in small claims court and win, does not mean they will pay, you will be responsible for bird dogging him at your expense. He can stall for years and your still out costs.

The best thing you can do is to advertise your situation in your local area and guilt him into settling for anything.

Insurance for trailers at a certain age is useless really the insurance prorates the life of the policy, you could possibly see less than he may be offering.
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 02:14 AM

Now my funny/mean side has kicked in. Give us your name and the name of the owner of the dealership along with the phone number.
The year and model of the trailer. Cell phones are great, no long distance charges. Can you imagine a post 'Call this butt head, he ripped off one of our brothers'? "Hello, ABC trailer, how may I direct your call?" "Good morning, could you connect me with Mr.Doe please?" "This is John Doe, how can I help you?" "Morning Mr Doe, I was just calling to ask why you ripped off my buddy Ralph on that 2016 12 foot tilt trailer he brought in for repairs?" 12 calls later....... Mr Doe to secretary "don't put anymore calls thru unless I know them" 36 calls later..... Mr Doe, this is getting out of hand....... 3 days of us and $2000 is gonna look cheap. I've got 11 hours per days to ring their phone, anyone else feel mean enough to do it once a day? Just fun and games at a sleazoids expense.
Posted By: Marty

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 02:19 AM

Did he offer you some lube along with the $1000?

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:18 AM

fishnhunts you are correct that dealership have signs and some have release of liability waivers on personal property left in vehicle. Not responsible for items left in cars ect. BUT BELIEVE ME they are responsible for the vehicle itself until you pay for it and take back possession.
I managed a paint and body shop and one of my crew left the keys in a suburban we had painted. Long story short, the suburban was stolen. The company attorney told the home office to offer the owner full retail blue book value or a simular model a year newer. Or be prepared to pay about double if it went to court.
When a business takes possession of personal property with the EXPRESS OR IMPLIED agreement to perform a service or deliver said property, to a third party. That business is responsible for the property until the terms of the agreement are met, and the owner regains possession of the property or a third party takes possession of the property as per the agreement of the business and the original owner. And collections from a business are pretty straight forward as well. It is not the owners responsibility to protect the property, it is the business responsibility that takes possession of that property to make sure it is returned to its rightful owner.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:27 AM

Is he still trying to charge you for the new axle? Sounds like he is without coming out and saying it. Only wants to give you half the worth of yours to make up for parts and labor he lost.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:29 AM

What's the number?!!!! I don't get mad I get even. May not be today or tomorrow or the next day. I may not even remember why, but I get even.

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyWrangler
Is he still trying to charge you for the new axle? Sounds like he is without coming out and saying it. Only wants to give you half the worth of yours to make up for parts and labor he lost.

I went in and paid for it with my card and then went out back to get it and couldn’t find it. I told them not to let that card go through, they said they would stop it. A week and a half later after going down there again and telling them to refund it now, they got it done.
Posted By: Marty

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:40 AM

I hope it works out for you...
Posted By: Finster

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 03:50 AM

I would take him to court. It doesn't work with people because they won't pay anyway. However, a dealer will pay if he loses the case.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: harleydparts
Now my funny/mean side has kicked in. Give us your name and the name of the owner of the dealership along with the phone number.
The year and model of the trailer. Cell phones are great, no long distance charges. Can you imagine a post 'Call this butt head, he ripped off one of our brothers'? "Hello, ABC trailer, how may I direct your call?" "Good morning, could you connect me with Mr.Doe please?" "This is John Doe, how can I help you?" "Morning Mr Doe, I was just calling to ask why you ripped off my buddy Ralph on that 2016 12 foot tilt trailer he brought in for repairs?" 12 calls later....... Mr Doe to secretary "don't put anymore calls thru unless I know them" 36 calls later..... Mr Doe, this is getting out of hand....... 3 days of us and $2000 is gonna look cheap. I've got 11 hours per days to ring their phone, anyone else feel mean enough to do it once a day? Just fun and games at a sleazoids expense.

I am on another forum,tacomaworld.com that has in the 10's of thousands of members. I purchased some parts from a gentleman at one point, just a few hundred dollars, and he was a firefighter down in N.Y.C and also had another small business,I wasn't real worried about getting my stuff. At first he was slow to ship it, a couple weeks, then a month. Finally he laughed about it and said if I wanted it, to come down and it was in the back of his truck collecting rust and he wasn't going to ship it. The members on Tacoma world had been following in it, and were like detectives, they found everything out about this guy in ten minutes, posted his personal and business phone numbers, and thousands of them started blowing his phone up telling him to do the right thing and refund my money. LOL That guy called me in tears, telling me to call them off he's refunding it right now.They completely shut his business right down.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 02:38 PM

Sounds to me like he has done this before. Offers half the value to get you to go away and profits the rest on a "stolen" trailer.
Posted By: LDW

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 02:42 PM

Is this dealer out south of town on the east side? I have heard bad things about him. I was looking to buy a new mower trailer and stopped to look at one. Two minutes in that place, I couldn't get out of there fadt enough.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: corky
Suggest to him that you intend to file a police report saying you left it with him and now he won't return it therefore he must have stolen it. That should get things moving in the right direction.
File the Police report...make it public record. Also call the local paper, they will give Him some good Advertising.
Posted By: possum5676

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 06:19 PM

Insurance company would not give you more than a thousand anyway. Would they? So take your money and go.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 06:26 PM

I would have called the police right in front of him...

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: possum5676
Insurance company would not give you more than a thousand anyway. Would they? So take your money and go.

Wrong.. I've talked to a few insurance companies and a claims rep already. They all said they will cover cost of a new replacement trailer and the taxes. That's why they have insurance. I will call him tomorrow and give him his options.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: possum5676

If you don't have replacement insurance coverage you should talk with your carrier or switch to one that does. Cost about an extra $40 a year. Well worth it IMO
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 06:53 PM

Copy of police report and keep documentation of everything that has transpired. You will need it if you end up taking the jackwagon to court. Hopefully you have a title too.

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: greggsinthehouse
Copy of police report and keep documentation of everything that has transpired. You will need it if you end up taking the jackwagon to court. Hopefully you have a title too.

Yep. Have a title for it.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/21/18 09:02 PM

He's most likely got your trailer sold. Sounds like a scam to me!
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: How do some people sleep at night - 01/23/18 01:06 AM

If you were closer, I'd go down there with you and let him know his options and the last option he would not like at all.

Time for him to do the right thing and make this right.

This ol boy needs to understand what integrity means and have a little decency.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums