Home

Ok so the missus has had it

Posted By: Scuba1

Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:09 AM

With new hurricanes popping up and the whole panic news etc. My better half is pushing me towards terra firma . in other words looking to live on this firm stuff they call land. My thoughts are to buy a bit of land near a big lake ..... " so I can make money fixing boats " truck our houseboat to said bit of land and rearrange the plumbing a bit. And then build up from there .
Plan B is pretty much up in the air ......... Got a trailer with a sorted machine shop and specialized welding gear in it ........ but no Idea how to make a living with it away from the coast.

have at it with suggestions
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:14 AM

farm to farm maintanance,or little lake marina to little lake marina.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:29 AM

Move up around the great lakes, lots of boats to work on. Way colder in the winter at them though.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:29 AM

You might want to look at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:31 AM

I am to old to travel and fix .. don't mind it within reason. But don't want to hitch up the workshop for a long drive to fix a sit on lawnmower if you know what I mean
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:35 AM

Move to havasu and work on these

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:35 AM

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:36 AM

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:36 AM

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:40 AM

You might need to learn to walk all over again! LOL

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:44 AM

pelican trainer. grin

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:45 AM

Sorry, but those things ain't boats. Ya need a car mechanic for that scat

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins

I'll look into that ... thank you
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 04:04 AM

Bring her on up the Mississippi far enough to miss the hurricanes during season. Then turn her around and go back in the winter.

I will warn you now if you tie her up on the Illinois side , some one will find a way to tax you for something !
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 04:07 AM

What will you do with the pelican?

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco

Pelicans... more then one.
I have no clot to be honest pete and co would show up here with no one they can boss around ...... thats the thought part for me . One of the tough parts anyway
Posted By: adam m

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco

pelican stew, grilled pelican, smoked pelican, fried pelican, bacon wrapped pelican, pelican kabobs, duck stuffed pelican laugh
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 11:32 AM

Your done ! If your not wanting to move your rig around to find play things to work on, and your not willing to fight to stay floating all the time, you have two choices.

Face reality and keep her happy and relax, mope around and be bored to death for her happiness, or
keep doing what your doing until she decides she is the one who will leave.

One of ya has to do more compromise than the other on this deal !
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 01:20 PM

I'd stay and build an inland place for her...she could visit if she wanted.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 01:26 PM

Buy your wife a potted plant and a cats sand box filled with dirt to stand in while she waters it. Make sure she wipes her feet when she heads back to the galley. Now stay where you are.

Your welcome.
Osky
Posted By: warrior

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 04:12 PM

Boats can move out of the way of hurricanes, land can't. Oh, inland has tornados, ice storms, floods, blizzards and sometimes quakes or slides.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Boats can move out of the way of hurricanes, land can't. Oh, inland has tornados, ice storms, floods, blizzards and sometimes quakes or slides.

Truth.

It'll always be something... No matter where ya go.

Mike
Posted By: magsdad

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 06:14 PM

Sounds like your in a tight spot. Good luck
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Golf ball
Bring her on up the Mississippi far enough to miss the hurricanes during season. Then turn her around and go back in the winter.

I will warn you now if you tie her up on the Illinois side , some one will find a way to tax you for something !

this is what I was thinking , head on up the river a ways and miss the ugly stuff while you do some cat fishing.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 08:32 PM

i'm gonna miss her,oh looky there,i got a bite.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Scuba1
With new hurricanes popping up and the whole panic news etc. My better half is pushing me towards terra firma . in other words looking to live on this firm stuff they call land. Blah, blah, blah...

Maybe decent folks don't want you on dry land.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/10/18 10:21 PM

May want to try the Ozarks around the AR/MO boarder. Several lakes in that region.
Ifn the boat mechanic gig don't work in that area you can just move into Branson,MO. and open a dinner show.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/18/18 12:24 AM

This is going to put a whole new spin on things for me. Being the dumb (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) that I am, I never thought abut repairing RV's ...... heck minus the rigging and depths sounder. There are certain similarities that can not be denied ........ AC , Fridges, Generators. Electronicals of all sorts.. Hmmmmm now there is a thought
Posted By: Finster

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/18/18 01:18 AM

Any of the great lakes would be ideal. You won't have to deal with hurricanes but you will have to learn how to shovel snow.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/18/18 01:22 AM

How bout all those push boats that shove barges around on the major rivers? There are a LOT of those on a lot of connected rivers. I know somebody already mentioned the Great Lakes. Quite a few ships out there just under the 1,000 ft length.
Lots of cruise ships run out of Texas and Washington.
Are you the same scuba1 off of rimfire central?
Posted By: squacks

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 09/18/18 01:25 AM

If you go with fixing campers, you may want to look at the Smoky Mountains National Park area. I do believe it is the most visited park in the U.S.A.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 08:20 PM

We have a place in mind. After some research its going to be eastern TN ... Johnson City area. It has lakes and some nice looking countryside. She is looking at whats on offer as far as land goes. We will go up there around march to have a closer look and narrow things down and maybe buy some land there and then. I'll buy a camper that I can put on it while I start site prep on long weekends. If things go even close to plan, we should be up there this time next year. I'll drive down here once a month or so when I have a weeks worth of work lined up and its worth the drive down and up, so I don't leave me regular customers stranded. Then put feelers out up there and see what work is to be had fixing boats , campers and whatever else that needs fixing.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 09:29 PM

I add a Hose Crimper and buy some fittings and hose and make that trailer a mobile Hydraulic Hose shop along with your other stuff. That will cover boats plus trucks and heavy equipment and wouldn't have to rely on just the marine side.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 09:46 PM

Once I am not limited with the space I have on board, I could branch out depending on whats in demand where I end up. I just added refrigeration and AC to the list this year and did the exam for that and got the gear.Used to do that a while back in Spain but sold it off but now started it again.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:01 PM

Come to The Great State of Kansas, Mr. Scuba.....probably in the top 2nd friendly states in the USA plus I am here also.... smile
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:05 PM

tornados hit a relatively small area. but where they land its real bad. way worse than a hurricane. no warning either. everytime it storms they issue a watch. so live in the basement a lot or wait for it to get serious and try to make it to shelter

https://www.homefacts.com/tornadoes/Tennessee.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tornadoes-e...midwest-damage/

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:27 PM

Same thing here with water spouts. Had one of those buggers collapse less then a mile away a couple of years back and are bound to get some in the next day or so as we are on the nasty side of this storm. I don't think a house cares that much if it gets destroyed by flood and a hurricane or a tornado flat is flat

Marty it sounds tempting, ut I do not want to abandon my customers here and I can do a 6 to 7 hour drive once a month or so and stay a few days to make it worth it. It would be one heck of a commute from your neck of the woods though

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:31 PM

Thanks Danny those links put my mind at rest. Zero tornados in the Johnson City area grin
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins
There are two lakes on the NC/VA border, Lake Gaston and John H Kerr. I grew up on JHK lake but moved to Charleston SC in 1983. We both retired and both like you got tired of hurricanes so moved back to southern Va. Real estate is reasonable and weather is moderate. I think you would have all of the business you could handle.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:40 PM

Too bad you're not moving near here. We could use a dependable marine mechanic that would actually work on the stuff you take them and get it done right in a reasonable amount of time. We're stuck with guys at may get around to looking at your stuff in a month or two and may or may not find it worth their time to fix it. mad

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/09/18 10:57 PM

You see ADC we have a bunch of those guys here as well and thats why I don't want to leave my folks hanging out to dry. I started here 5 years ago and have a pretty good customer base and I don't want to completely abandon them. Thats how we came up with eastern TN. And the kids and grand son are in PA a 9 hour drive from the area in TN that we are looking at instead of the 12 it takes from here.

Re: Ok so the missus has had it - 10/14/18 08:59 PM

I just thought of something. I am going to have room and purpose for traps again grin grinAnyone need some crab traps and has some longsprins they don need lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums