Home

When to begin fur put up

Posted By: novatrapper01

When to begin fur put up - 10/20/18 05:51 PM

Just trying to figure out if I should be putting up fur as I catch the critters or hold off a few weeks before I start? I sell to auction so first sale isn’t until February. I don’t have enough freezer space to store pelts in the freezer after put up, I usually just hang them in my basement entrance. Just don’t want anything to look stale. Have mostly coyotes and a couple bears to put up. Water animal season doesn’t start until nov 1 here.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/20/18 06:23 PM

Your not going to have stale fur if you sell in the same season.
Posted By: Boco

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/20/18 07:03 PM

You'll be fine between now and feb hanging in the basement,or in fur bags on racks.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/20/18 11:31 PM

You should put your fur up; skin, flesh and board, as soon as possible after catching it. Then treat as "Boco" stated.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/21/18 03:45 PM

Fur won't go stale in a few months if properly taken care of and put up correctly.

Stale fur that costs you is such that is yellow or severely dried up, takes some time to get to this point. unless your storing it in the sun or by direct heat !
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/21/18 04:06 PM

If your going to store put up fur, make sure the mice and bugs can't get to them.
Dennis
Posted By: pcr2

Re: When to begin fur put up - 10/21/18 04:46 PM

i don't start till i need room in the 2 chest freezers.early i'd rather be trappin than putting up fur and later i'd rather be puttin up fur than trappin.everything does get skun before frozen though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums