Home

Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck.

Posted By: Anonymous

Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 09:33 PM

https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-...ty-deer-poached-amish-man-fined-2874146/
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 09:35 PM

Nice buck

Glad it cost him
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 09:54 PM

Wow! What a deer. I guess not all of them are honest either.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 09:56 PM

That's the first I have ever heard of Amish involved in any wrong doing. tired
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 10:23 PM

Worst cussing I ever got was from an Amish guy for trimming his tree away from the power line ! They have some dandies of their own !
Posted By: EdP

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 10:33 PM

Religion and/or social affiliations don't eliminate greed, dishonesty, or evil.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 10:43 PM

Guy deserved every penny of that fine.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 10:54 PM

Man, could've bought a lot of beef for 28grand. In the second article on this story, he sure went the xtra mile to try and cover it up.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 11:17 PM

probably opened his wallet and counted it out...
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/22/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
probably opened his wallet and counted it out...

^^this^^
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 12:04 AM

28thousand for killing a deer? ridiculous. more car deer accidents every year. state is just mad cause they didn't get any money for it. since when does a state agency, and not the citizens, own a wild animal anyway?
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 12:06 AM

Wonder if this would have made the news ifn it was a 6 pointer? Just as illegal. just not as whatever.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
28thousand for killing a deer? ridiculous. more car deer accidents every year. state is just mad cause they didn't get any money for it. since when does a state agency, and not the citizens, own a wild animal anyway?

the citizens have likely (legislatively) granted management authority to the state agency in question.

I'll bet Kansans have done the same.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 12:31 AM

Restitution.

In addition to the minimum fine and court costs, for deer you get to pay: Additional restitution value = ((gross score - 100)2 x $1.65)
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 01:25 AM

Obviously not fined enough if he could pay it. A year in jail would have helped maybe.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:25 AM

I agree. Yes, he deserved a fine, but that's way over the top.
Posted By: bluegrassman

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 05:10 AM

the state should have to pay the people and car insurance company's when "the states" deer jump out and hit there cars. they should have to pay the farmers for crop damage that there deer cause also. if they want to claim them as there deer.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 01:16 PM

What does being Amish have to do with this story? You don't often hear a story about some Lutheran who was over limit on fish, or a Catholic caught hunting without a license.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
What does being Amish have to do with this story? You don't often hear a story about some Lutheran who was over limit on fish, or a Catholic caught hunting without a license.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 01:35 PM

You're not very familiar with the Amish are you?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 01:55 PM

Moral of the story... follow Game Laws - dont like them the work to get them changed. Otherwise stay out of the Woods and fields.
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:21 PM

Well I have a different take along with Danny. It is a Deer and hardcore criminals ie.. felons get less than a $28,000 dollar fine and the thieves and drug dealers are let off by the thousands. What man comes up with a value of $28K on a Deer. “Ridiculous” not advocating the violator for his wrong doing but really $28K and all these child pervs out here I think we have a screwed up society.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:24 PM

the citizens have likely (legislatively) granted management authority to the state agency in question.

And in some states they have done the same with rainwater.

Mike

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

You're not very familiar with the Amish are you?

I am.

And I can tell you that I've never been turned down by an Amishman when asking permission to hunt or trap his property.

Here in southeast PA urban sprawl is terrible. Nearly every Dutch farmer in has sold out to developers in the last several decades. The Amish don't. They keep their farms and they buy farms for every one of their sons. If not for them the entire region between Philadelphia and Harrisburg would be one giant suburb. I am very grateful for their preservation of farm country.

They are generally very hard working people and extremely shrewd businessmen. I have had many business transactions and personal interactions with them.

I'm sure there are a few bad apples, just like any other group of people.

I find the bigotry directed at Amish and Mennonites whenever one of these threads pops up astounding.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:34 PM

Some were quite a problem when they flooded into se mn forty years ago

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

And in some states they have done the same with rainwater. Mike

as a famous person once said, "elections have consequences"...
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 02:46 PM

Had a doe cost me $40,000.00 once. the wife hit it going 60 mph with my truck. wife made out ok but the truck and doe didn't fair as well.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:13 PM

He broke the law .Yes fine him but 28,000 ridiculous. As stated earlier felons don't get that much. I loved the comment in the article that "the deer deserved better" LMAO . It was killed . Period!! Deer was just as dead if it had been shot by someone that hung a valid tag on it. Deer didn't know the tag used had already been filled. Look up the court dockets and see just how many times this is done each year. Reporter just wanted to get the response he is getting because he is feeding off the fact the guy was an Amish plus it was a B&C deer. Where are all the stories of the countless does that are poached each year . Killed by some drunk business man just shooting deer to be shooting......
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:22 PM

I agree the fine is ridiculous.

To me it just reiterates that big buck hunting is ruining a sport I once loved.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:25 PM

Glad she wasn’t hurt and guessing you had full coverage so I sure hope you came out Ok. Here they are thick as rats at the chicken coop. We pay extra high car insurance rates in our county due to deer accidents. $28K absolutely shows how fish and game has gained so much power and they are not elected but hired and develop a culture over the years as they are “God” of our free ranging fish and game. Here Two audits in 3 years have found a “culture of abuse by the Ky Dept of fish and wildlife “ millions of dollars transferred to funds they were not allowed to be spent on, alcohol bought with tax dollars, social parties use of public equipment for personal use and the list is long. But hey you shoot a deer in season, with a legal weapon, but since you have killed one your fined $28K that is excessive and boosts the ego of government. How about $1,000 dollar and a week of community service or a reasonable judgement. Where does this over zealousness end $100,000 in a few more years???

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:30 PM

When I first saw the article, the fact that the guy was amish never even entered my mind. One, I like big buck pics, two, I've never seen anything close to a fine like that for a hunting violation. Like someone already said, if this were a doe or a spindly little buck, it probably wouldn't have even been an issue.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluegrassman
the state should have to pay the people and car insurance company's when "the states" deer jump out and hit there cars. they should have to pay the farmers for crop damage that there deer cause also. if they want to claim them as there deer.

This is a total idiotic reply. There’s nothing accidental about poaching as compared to a car vs. deer collision.
And as far as farming and crop damage goes; that’s just part of being a capitalist.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by handitrapper
Originally Posted by bluegrassman

This is a total idiotic reply. There’s nothing accidental about poaching as compared to a car vs. deer collision.
And as far as farming and crop damage goes; that’s just part of being a capitalist.

But is it really. Look at it this way. The deer belongs to "them " when it comes to making money from them. But if the same animal causes an expense they belong to no one. If a persons cow got out and you hit it with your car wouldn't you want the guy to pay? Same as if you shot HIS cow you would have to pay but if you ran you would then be arrested and fined. Just like the guy was for the deer......

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:41 PM

antler worship. pure and simple.

Antler worshippers are upset that deer was killed outside the rules laid out in their annual game dept bible. They are jealous that he killed that buck and they wont get to. Nothing to do with over harvest of the resource as there wasn't any. Jealousy only. Antler worship is one of the strangest religions on the planet. Most adherents claim its not a religion. Maybe then the right word is cult?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:45 PM

As I said before I don’t advocate breaking the law. It used to be where we hunted for fun and food and now it’s seems it’s a blatant competition amongst high testosterone with over egotistical fanatics leasing ground and ruining hunting for younger poor folks trying to raise their kids who now have to stay in their own yard and playing deer hunting on a video card.
We have a sad reality as only the truly wealthy could afford to hunt $28,000 dollar deer WOW, sounds like a soap opera.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:50 PM

WHSKR, I don't believe in breaking the law either. Here in KS you can legally kill all the deer you can eat. Can catch all the Fish you can eat. Turkey a guy could eat more, spoonbill fish too. But we have plenty of game to go around. No reason in the world to poach game. Accept antler worship. I still think 28000 for a "crime" that didn't hurt anything or anybody is just a symptom of the Antler Worshipers R Us cult.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:53 PM

I don't see the fine as ridiculous at all. I'll bet he doesn't do it again. In my mind, the point is not the deer per say. The point is it was done intentionally, dare I say with moral turpitude, greed and envy. This is also exacerbated by the fact that he tried to disguise it and cover his tracks. Obviously, before he ever pulled the trigger, he knew what he was doing was wrong, illegal and un-sportsman like but he did it anyway. I don't think it's to much of a fine at all for someone that so blatantly disregards the law. It's not about the deer.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 03:57 PM

The deer don’t belong to them. The state. They are “Wards” of the state. The states F&W is there to regulate them and the laws.

Look at it this way; What if that deer was frequenting a property that you hunted. And you spent a lot of time trying to pattern that deers movements, so as to better your chances of legally harvesting it. Then some jack wagon gets greedy and poaches it. Would you still be ok with it?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
I don't see the fine as ridiculous at all. I'll bet he doesn't do it again. In my mind, the point is not the deer per say. The point is it was done intentionally, dare I say with moral turpitude, greed and envy. This is also exacerbated by the fact that he tried to disguise it and cover his tracks. Obviously, before he ever pulled the trigger, he knew what he was doing was wrong, illegal and un-sportsman like but he did it anyway. I don't think it's to much of a fine at all for someone that so blatantly disregards the law. It's not about the deer.

Spot on!!

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:03 PM

Its one hundred percent about the deer's ANTLERS. If he had poached a doe for food he might have lost his rifle and paid a small fine. That fine is so outlandish because it was done for ANTLER WORSHIP. The other Antler Worshipers R Us cult members are jealous. Now no matter what his punishment is, he can tell most of them he has killed a deer with bigger antlers than they have. Cult members hate that. Most of them probably think capital punishment is to light unless the big antler poacher is stoned to death by the other cult members.

He probably ought to fight that fine in court claiming it violates his first amendment right to freedom of religion. cult membership is after all a protected freedom in the U.S.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:14 PM

As SNIPERBBB mentioned, the formula ODNR uses for determining restitution is: (gross score-125) 2 x $1.65 plus $500.

It seems they are promoting antler worship by placing a higher value on bigger racks. Why is that giant buck anymore valuable than a basket six or a nice fat doe for meat?

They've affixed a dollar amount to bragging rights.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:15 PM

I wonder though, where will the 28thou. end up. I've been told alot of the outdoorsman funds get rerouted.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:19 PM

Antler worship -- Danny is spot on. I don't have much use for these meadow carp. They eat off my garden. This antler worship horseship is a problem. I don't know how many hunters tell me they saw all kinds of does and wouldn't shoot them because they are afraid they'll scare off Bullwinkle. Farmers can get a depredation permit, and shoot the gol-darn things all night long. This "one buck only" crap stems directly from antler worship. Why can't the man kill two bucks???? Answer, because they have horns.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:19 PM

Antler worship it is and it gets worse every year. If we all had to go back a few decades in time where we viewed these large bucks as food and everyone of us had to hunt for any meat we could consume everyone here would support the man for providing for his family.
Our herded up can’t think for myself society has criminalized fish and game laws to an absurd level period. Mine mine mine me me me a wild free ranging animal belongs to no one. The others poked their nose into some one else business out of anger, jealousy, antler worshipping,
True story here a young man hunting his parents property 18 years old. Shot a buck immediately after it jumped a fence onto his parents property. The deer bolted and fell dead on the other side of fence. He retrieved it checked it in by phone and while on the phone the southern contingent of antler worshipping deer lease fanatics confronted him and jerked the deer out of the boys truck and took it away from him. He and dad called the game warden and they confiscated the deer, kept it until it couldn’t be mounted or eaten after 2!years gave the boy the rack and said he did nothing wrong but admonished him for crossing the line to get his deer.
The antler worshiper was an illegal guide, fined and lost hunting privileges in the state for a couple years. Can’t remember the fine but it was pittance for what he done to this young man. Had the boy shot the deer across the line no telling what kind of criminal they would have made him out to be. They crawled the field over to try and disprove the boys story but it was rock solid as he had ejected the casing and it was found where he said and so was the blood splatter from the bullet strike. They sure tried pinning an illegal kill on this boy but he was rock solid
These were grown men why can’t we be proud for someone else anymore? “Stop this hate”
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:22 PM

Hal is spot on... "meadow carp"
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:23 PM

I would be very surprised if that deer was not of domestic deer stock. The Mount Hope Auction, where many thousands of domestic white tailed deer have been sold is right next to Millersburg. It would also explain why the buck appeared to wander aimlessly.

Keith

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
As SNIPERBBB mentioned, the formula ODNR uses for determining restitution is: (gross score-125) 2 x $1.65 plus $500.

It seems they are promoting antler worship by placing a higher value on bigger racks. Why is that giant buck anymore valuable than a basket six or a nice fat doe for meat?

So what do they charge for illegally shooting a doe or button buck? Just $500.00?

Keith

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

So what do they charge for illegally shooting a doe or button buck? Just $500.00?

Keith

I'm don't know, but that was what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure they aren't charging tens of thousands for poaching those animals. The big money is for poaching the big bucks.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:34 PM

Trophy poaching has to have a big fine, should help pay for law enforcement and curtail some poaching, he should loose privileges longer than a couple years

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:36 PM

Poaching, no matter what the animal, should have a fine big enough to be a deterrent. Higher amounts should not be placed on bigger racks.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:41 PM

Privileges yes but $28000 dollar for a “glorified” goat?
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:58 PM

I'm surprised the Quality Deer Management people haven't lobbied for a program for horn poachers like sex offenders have. The government could pay to print the photographs of known offenders so that QDMrs could pepper them up on every tree next to their 'let them go let them grow' signs.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 04:59 PM

I'll stick by my last post on this subject but just for the moment I'll address the "antler worship" aspect. Let's say that's a fact, I agree that it probably had bearing on the decision. However, it would go to the "degree" of the crime. This is far from unheard of. For instance, you get a $100 fine for going 55mph in a 50mph zone but get $1000 fine for going 85mph in the same 50mph zone. You'll get 100 hours of community service and $100 fine for shoplifting a pack of smokes but you'll get 3 years in prison and a $25,000 fine for stealing a tractor trailer amount of the same product. See where this is going. It's the degree of the crime. So I can see where a judge would feel that a trophy buck is going to be a higher degree of a crime than some doe. This is nothing new in criminal justice, happens every day. This just happens to be something that more people can relate to because of our insite and in doing so, form more than the average opinion.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 05:10 PM

no such thing as a trophy buck.

steal a semi you interfere with somebodies means of earning a living

55 in a fifty is less dangerous to the public than 100 in a 50 mph zone.

whether you kill a button buck or a world record you may have taken food from another predator but nothing more than that. you certainly haven't hurt deer populations any

its time to get past this trophy hunting nonsense. it was created by and continues to be fostered by people selling magazines, tv shows, people leasing hunting rights, high fence hunting, guides, cabela's and bass pro shops. it is destroying our outdoor heritage fostering jealousy and all manner of stupid regulations and laws.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 05:11 PM

Keith

If you plug in 0 for the gross score you $26281.25, that is if he actually meant squared with the 2 ( ^2). If not it does not work for the guy in the original post.
If you go with the first equation posted {(gross score - 100)^2 X 1.65 + 500} then you get $17000. This one works for the amish guys fine.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 05:26 PM

See where this is going.

Plain as day. The bigger the horns, the bigger the fine.
$1,000 dollars for going 85 in a 50.
$25,000 (plus) for stealing a trailer load of smokes (Quick google search, 57,000 cartons)
$28,000 for shooting a wild goat with big horns.

85 in a 50 endangers other people. Big horns don't
Those cigs have to be worth about $50 a carton so -- $2,850,000 and you want that to be a $25,000 fine? So the deer with big horns is worth more than $2.8 million?
There is no intrinsic value in deer horns. They are only of value to those who follow that cult. A $28,000 fine is entirely out of line.
[Linked Image]

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 05:42 PM

Yep a man from the South came in here with lots of credit started a guide service and wow in a couple years they were killing one B/C every year. Photos in the news, records on Ky fish and game, county recognition, this goes on about 7-8 years. I own farm right next door and we never see these deer on camera or while cropping nor does anyone in the community. He ends up getting busted in Georgia for game violations and loses the ground up here
Was supposed to be an absolute auction I had high bid until they let him buy it back. Anyway he loses everything and next several years no more B/C bucks come off that ground. Go figure “farmed deer “ for their antlers bought and sold and advertise to get high dollar clients to pay for guided hunts.
They wonder why common folks are sick of this glamorous deer hunting out of million dollar lodges and grain fed steroid infused deer. That’s real hunting.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

Keith

If you plug in 0 for the gross score you $26281.25, that is if he actually meant squared with the 2 ( ^2). If not it does not work for the guy in the original post.
If you go with the first equation posted {(gross score - 100)^2 X 1.65 + 500} then you get $17000. This one works for the amish guys fine. [/quote]

Antlered deer minimum is 250
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 07:22 PM

What a bunch of snobbish boobs we have here, dictating to those who like to antler hunt how hunting should be done !!
Y'all either democrats trying to boss every one around or so dang jealous you can't just go any where any more to hunt you don't know what to do with you selves.

Brag about them coyotes y'all trap, otters and large beaver to, reds and grey's until your blue in the face, but some one
shoots a big deer and get's a large fine for it and your all bird shot over it, LOL, y'all are so spoiled having so many deer in your area ya don't know what it's like to have to really hunt for them !!

Go and shoot them meat deer, no one say's ya can't, but don't be downing no one if they like to hunt for antlers either, ya got no grounds for that !! Yea and of course poaching is a different matter, but it seems from some of the wicked comments about antler hunters y'all would hang them up as well !!

Large fines are supposed to be a deterrent to poaching the big deer, whether it works or not is only proven until it's used in the area, works here fine, it's supposed to keep the bigger deer to pass on genes, little deer ya don't know what they got so the fine is smaller, should not be I agree but we don't get to set the rules, we just have to abide by them.

By the way I don't see none of y'all marching up to those peoples private properties telling them they got no right to lease their land out to hunters either, but y'all sure are short on praising them for making use of the land when they can't do anything else with it !!

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 07:37 PM

LOL you are missing mine and several others point. Guess the drug dealer didn't sell his drugs intentionely ? LOL The guy that poached the doe that was fined 500 bucks didn't have a clue he was wrong.The armed robber that gets off with 10,000 dollar fine because his dad is rich thought it was his money to take ??? NOONE is saying that he didn't know it was wrong, just that the fine is ridiculous.....

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 07:49 PM

I read the second part of the story and found it funny that the guy that turned him in claimed to have been hunting it SEVERAL years. BUT the all knowing DNR aged it at 4 years old ???? He was a jealous a hole that couldn't stand it because the Amish guy hadn't spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of a hay rake lol.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 07:54 PM

Well he spent thousands now. Didn’t he?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 08:01 PM

The fine is not ridiculous if it keeps poachers from taking deer, the problem is the person thinking they will get away
with taking it, that's why poachers do it for so long until they get caught with a fine that is to high to make an incentive to not go after them any more. There is incentive here to turn them in, if caught you get a permit for the area poached, you watch others they watch you, some don't like it, however it slows the poaching down a lot !

If the fine is the same for every deer or animal that's poached, fish that is taken, bird that's shot etc, what is the incentive to stop if they just keep paying the fine, they already don't care if they have a license or not.

Here anything that you have used to commit that act can be seized, right there on the spot, no warrant or permission by court needed, plus the fine, plus jail time depending on your record. You don't get anything back that was used in the act, it gets sold in an auction latter on. This can add up to some serious cash depending on what you use to drive or haul out with, plus any equipment,

However it's still not enough to stop people from doing it, kinda like smoking or drinking , ya know it's doing ya in but ya just need that next one, these people think it's no big deal with all the animals out there, whats one going to be missed, criminals don't follow the laws, until something is taken away from them that's so important that they squeak that they are being picked on, LOL

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

LOL you are missing mine and several others point. Guess the drug dealer didn't sell his drugs intentionely ? LOL The guy that poached the doe that was fined 500 bucks didn't have a clue he was wrong.The armed robber that gets off with 10,000 dollar fine because his dad is rich thought it was his money to take ??? NOONE is saying that he didn't know it was wrong, just that the fine is ridiculous.....

As usual, you miss it entirely. Then again, it is to be expected.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:02 PM

I read the second part of the story and found it funny that the guy that turned him in claimed to have been hunting it SEVERAL years. BUT the all knowing DNR aged it at 4 years old ???? He was a jealous a hole that couldn't stand it because the Amish guy hadn't spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of a hay rake lol.

If he was not lieing, it is more proof the deer is an improved genetics buck from the auction.

Keith

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:12 PM

JUST looking at the day time pic IN MY OPINION the deer is older than 4 1/2 . If the whistle blower started hunting it at 2 1/2 he was only hunting it for 2 years COUNTING this year. Don't think 2 are several . But who am I. They had to make it sound like the squealer had invested his whole life in pursuit of this majestic animal that was so wronged. Plus since the amish guy hadn't tried to sell the mount or rack how did that make him greedy? Most deer hunters kill more than they HAVE TO have or need to survive... Does that mean everyone that kills a deer and doesn't use every inch of it is greedy???

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:24 PM

Geez he's greedy because he poached the animal, not in conventional terms, most poachers do this out of greed, they want THAT animal, they want to possess it, as they know you can't sell the antlers very easily, so they keep them out in back covered up and show other poachers their achievement !

Now your after the whistle blower, LOL pretty soon Hillary and her ilk will be involved !!

It's clear your not an abstract thinker !

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:27 PM

Some of the domestic whitetail deer have racks when wild whitetails would only have buttons, very good racks at 2 and incredible racks at 3. It's due to their genetics and feed their given.

Keith
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:34 PM

I read the same article jbyrd referred to. The "jealous squealer" had $700 worth of trail cams stolen, and I don't blame him for pursuing the matter. He could of poached the deer himself. Guess he felt the fine was a good deterrent not to.

The other article

"Realizing that the buck could not have been shot in Holmes County the Game Warden paid Junior Troyer a visit. Junior totally denied any wrong doing but the Game Warden wasn’t buying it.

After pressing Junior, he finally admitted to shooting a 130” eight pointer the morning of November 7 th. He then went out to hunt that evening and had Hay Rake walk by him. Junior let greed set in and shot the buck. He decapitated both bucks taking the body of the 8 pointer and the head of the 26 pointer as one buck and tagged it in. The next morning, he returned and took the headless body of the 26 pointer and checked it in as a doe. In the meantime, he took the head of the 8 pointer and threw it in a ditch which law enforcement later recovered."

The man knew very much what he was doing illegal. If he had just hung the buck in his barn and shut the door, no one would have been the wiser. But it seems to be he wanted to still show it off. They guy who turned him in heard the buck was shot via a pic on facebook.

Everybody who hunts deer in Ohio knows that they impose fines in this manner.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Simple as that.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:40 PM

Poke around in someone else’s business you may win a different kind of prize too
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by WHSKR
Poke around in someone else’s business you may win a different kind of prize too

That the approach to take for a thief ? That's what a poacher is .
Posted By: Ric

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 09:56 PM

Most of you folks decrying the fine are missing the point by narrowly focusing on what you think is a injustice.
The restitution formula has been in effect for a long time, it is common knowledge.
Quality Whitetail hunting is big business in Ohio. WITH MOST OF THE EXPENDITURES GOING TO PRIVATE CITIZENS. In the form of leases, Motels, restaurants, sporting goods stores etc. etc. There is no "trophy fee" the state gets it's tag and license fee and that's it.
People don't come here to hunt 100" deer they come to hunt 160+. He deprived every honest sportsman of an opportunity to hunt a tag that deer. Yes there was still time for someone to bag it this year.
The ODNR is responsible for the protection of the resource for the benefit of Ohio. By using the sliding scale to punish those poaching trophy deer they can accomplish that.
And BTW that's not the first time a 20K restitution has been levied.
Sure there was greed involved and it falls directly the the guy who harvested a descent legal buck, but just had to shoot that one because it was bigger

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:05 PM

Did they ever say where the deer was killed. Was it killed on Dick Tracey's Land were said theft of said cameras took place. If so He had every right to comb the deepest valleys and crest the highest hills in pursuit of the bush whacking greed driven amish deer slayer.
lol
Lighten up he didn't commit murder or sell a kilo of coke. If so he wouldn't have got such a harsh sentence....

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:06 PM

JUST looking at the day time pic IN MY OPINION the deer is older than 4 1/2 . If the whistle blower started hunting it at 2 1/2 he was only hunting it for 2 years COUNTING this year. Don't think 2 are several . But who am I. They had to make it sound like the squealer had invested his whole life in pursuit of this majestic animal that was so wronged. Plus since the amish guy hadn't tried to sell the mount or rack how did that make him greedy? Most deer hunters kill more than they HAVE TO have or need to survive... Does that mean everyone that kills a deer and doesn't use every inch of it is greedy???
Good grief, I have a 3 year old nephew that understands more and is easier to reason with.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by amspoker

I read the same article jbyrd referred to. The "jealous squealer" had $700 worth of trail cams stolen, and I don't blame him for pursuing the matter. He could of poached the deer himself. Guess he felt the fine was a good deterrent not to.

The other article

"Realizing that the buck could not have been shot in Holmes County the Game Warden paid Junior Troyer a visit. Junior totally denied any wrong doing but the Game Warden wasn’t buying it.

After pressing Junior, he finally admitted to shooting a 130” eight pointer the morning of November 7 th. He then went out to hunt that evening and had Hay Rake walk by him. Junior let greed set in and shot the buck. He decapitated both bucks taking the body of the 8 pointer and the head of the 26 pointer as one buck and tagged it in. The next morning, he returned and took the headless body of the 26 pointer and checked it in as a doe. In the meantime, he took the head of the 8 pointer and threw it in a ditch which law enforcement later recovered."
The man knew very much what he was doing illegal. If he had just hung the buck in his barn and shut the door, no one would have been the wiser. But it seems to be he wanted to still show it off. They guy who turned him in heard the buck was shot via a pic on facebook.

Everybody who hunts deer in Ohio knows that they impose fines in this manner.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Simple as that.

Yep them there Amish are just using up so much space on Face book with their deer pics LOL

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:11 PM

Hey finster then why don't you just stop trying . Would love to read something that you didn't share all your infinite knowledge with everyone that is wrong because they don't see it as you do .

All I said and most here was that WE didn't agree with the fine amount, Based on other crimes against joe public. I nor anyone that I read said he shouldn't have gotten fined in some way.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:17 PM

Hey finster then why don't you just stop trying . Would love to read something that you didn't share all your infinite knowledge with everyone that is wrong because they don't see it as you do .

All I said and most here was that WE didn't agree with the fine amount, Based on other crimes against joe public. I nor anyone that I read said he shouldn't have gotten fined in some way.
A-Typical hypocritical statement. You sir are doing the EXACT same thing. In addition, it's call debating. look up the definition.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:20 PM

Oh heck I stand corrected the day time pic was from 2017 so the buck was only 3 1/2 then . Ok look at the pic . The big gut, neck on that brusier yea right that deer is 3 1/2 ...LOL

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:22 PM

antler hunting has caused nothing but problems here. grown men will fight over a @%$^**&^% deer. places where armed idiots drive around sections, pulling in front of people forcing them to stop and demanding to know why they are there and where they are going. I could go on but everyone reading this has seen the same stuff. all because one knothead wants to shoot a deer with bigger antlers than the knothead on the other side of the fence. it has gotten way way way out of hand. you guys saying that its not going on, that a deer poached with big antlers should be 28000, ( you can buy a nice house in rural ks for that) are part of the problem.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:41 PM

Let me give you an example of a blind eye. Few years back 3 UK football players were headed to a farm next to were I hunt on opening day of deer season . They had drank all night and left the bar at 2 am. Driving to Somerset about 75 miles from Lexington the driver ran off the road and flipped the pick-up. All three players were ejected and 2 were killed . Guess what the punishment was for 2 counts vehicleur homicide . Which he was found guilty of !!! Because of who he was and who his parents are he got SHOCK probation. Time served (little over 3 months). For killing two human beings. See people get all crossed up in what is important in life. Killing a B&C deer or TAKING A HUMAN LIFE. ALL I was saying in regards to this case. Punishment was TOO great compared to other crimes ......

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article44057436.html

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:45 PM

Well Danny I don't see how having a strict fine equates to those wanting to hunt antlers being a problem, there has to be an incentive to prevent poaching !

I suppose your suggestion is to look the other way and just let it happen ? What do you suggest an incentive would be to prevent poaching of this size of deer , or any size for that matter ?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:50 PM

since people are still doing it here and they take guns and vehicles, right to hunt is taken, fines are imposed I don't think there is any way to stop it. sure seems a bit out of whack when the fine for poaching is more than the fine for say stealing gas or even driving drunk around a stopped school bus with the sign out. its just a deer. nothing more or less. I don't get whats so special about big antlers.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:51 PM

[

Yep them there Amish are just using up so much space on Face book with their deer pics LOL

That's what the article said, that the picture of the deer was on Facebook.

The one you referred to.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/23/18 10:52 PM

I guess my opinion has been expressed clear enough. ill shut up now if nobody else asks me a question

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 12:33 AM

Google whitetail exchange or whitetail deer farming look at some of these steroid freak deer they are farming and selling to advertise for horn hunters. Wow what people will pay to shoot these pen raised domestic deer horns and what they think they have accomplished. This Deer hunting has DESTROYED the small game hunting in nearly all of Western Ky and they wonder why kids are hooked on video games. It’s because they been sold out for a deer lease. They think if you squirrel hunt or rabbit hunt the deer will move to Oklahoma.
$28 K is absurd I dont care how many deer he killed.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 02:18 AM

It said he paid the $28,000 fine in full to avoid the jail time. How do you just come up with $28,000 just like that ?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by WHSKR

$28 K is absurd I dont care how many deer he killed.

Some of you keep saying this.

To me the bottom line is this.

The size of the fine is irrelevant, as I will not knowingly break the law as this man did, especially when the consequences are so ridiculous.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 02:38 AM

Exactly Right.

And Quit whining about other crimes, it has nothing to do with those... Make All the punnishments hurt maybe people might think a little bit.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by kyron4
It said he paid the $28,000 fine in full to avoid the jail time. How do you just come up with $28,000 just like that ?
Amish, at least around here have "pools" where they pool their monies for such things like legal and insurance. They do not have insurance like you and I do, they have community monies that they all contribute to and the bishop and/or elders decide.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 03:22 AM

I guess my opinion has been expressed clear enough. ill shut up now if nobody else asks me a question
Danny, How do they get that peanut in the middle of that M&M???
grin
Posted By: TrapperT25

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 03:24 AM

Alright I’ve got a couple different opinions on this one. One being I personally know a man that was hunting this deer. For any deer hunter that actually tries to pursue a deer of this caliber or any close to it knows the feeling of not being able to close the deal or someone else shooting it. In this case, this is the worst possible thing to happen. This guy chased this deer for 3 years and what’s ends up happening? An amishman poaches it.
That leads me to the second thing...... I’m very happy that ODNR officers actually pursued and convicted this Amish guy for poaching a deer. Countless times I have seen Amish have a get outta jail free card. They shoot anything that moves and a lot of them think they are impervious to the law. It just doesn’t apply to them. They also have no sense of safely and are careless when gun hunting in particular.... but that is a different subject.
The third thing is the fact that a lot of you are talking about the only reason he got the fine was because it was a 200 inch deer. Which I think lays behind ODNR itself. They pretty much gave an open pass to poachers when they switched from the metals tag a few years back. No more going to a tagging site or anything like that. People poach deer all the time... only reason he got caught was because of its antlers.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 03:33 PM

I would be very surprised if that deer was not of domestic deer stock. The Mount Hope Auction, where many thousands of domestic white tailed deer have been sold is right next to Millersburg. It would also explain why the buck appeared to wander aimlessly.

Keith

Mt Hope auction is 14 miles from Millersburg, I guess that would have been a possibility but the deer was shot in Coshocton Co. And wow, the PA amish are apparently a whole lot different then our amish. I have met some nice ones but even they won't let english on their land, for nothing. And most of the amish here have no regard for laws, they take everything they can get. I have seen them in action. As for the fine, I think it shouldn't be based on the size of the rack, but on the circumstance of the violation.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 04:08 PM

Magic Finster

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 04:39 PM

Magic Finster

laugh

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 08:07 PM

When you phone in these deer (not an option with most Amish) do you have to tell how many point a buck had, or just identify it as a buck?
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:13 PM

Yes Hal, they ask the number of points when you use the phone to tag your deer. That's the way I checked my Ohio buck in this year

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:22 PM

Thank you. I was barely familiar with the older check-in regulations let alone the new.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:33 PM

It is very convenient but I'm sure some guys take advantage of this and don't tag them. I kinda liked the old way of taking them to check station and having the metal tag put on and seeing what everyone has harvested. But this year I killed my buck right before dark and by the time I gutted him and took 2 hours to drag him out I was thankful for the option to just call it in

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:40 PM

Well, in all honesty, I want my deer muscled out before its stiff, and tossed in cold water to soak. If I had to drive 30 mile round trip with a dead deer, it would be cold time I went to butcher it.

Meadow Carp I say.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
When you phone in these deer (not an option with most Amish) do you have to tell how many point a buck had, or just identify it as a buck?

Wonder why he tried to swap the heads if he hadn't called it in MMMMMMM. Think he had that's how he got caught. If he had just skinned the first one no one could have doubted he killed the big one legally.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:50 PM

Nope, not after he checked in a volunteered 8 point. You cant change your mind and turn a eight point into a "whatever" point.
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:53 PM

If our immigration laws were enforced with this kind of zeal all this talk about building a wall would be a moot point.

And yes, I think that the fine is way over the top.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 09:55 PM

Quick as them Mexicans start poachin' deer,
We're on 'em like a hog on slop.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/24/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

Keith

Mt Hope auction is 14 miles from Millersburg, I guess that would have been a possibility but the deer was shot in Coshocton Co. And wow, the PA amish are apparently a whole lot different then our amish. I have met some nice ones but even they won't let english on their land, for nothing. And most of the amish here have no regard for laws, they take everything they can get. I have seen them in action. As for the fine, I think it shouldn't be based on the size of the rack, but on the circumstance of the violation.

There are several different classes of Amish. Can't remember what they all are as it's been a while since I went to the Amish museum , ran by Mennonites, up around Holmes county.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/25/18 12:12 AM

Sniper, years ago you had the Old Order Amish, The new Order Amish, and the Mennonites. Now you Have the Swartzentruber, Weaver, Troyer Amish etc. Now it seems there have been so much separation and division that it's hard to keep tract of who's who. As an example, in the 90's I was close to a particular sect in western Holmes Co. They were good people and we dealt with each other a lot. They had saw mills, harness shops, furniture shops etc, and pulled up stakes to move to Missouri. Why, because their Deacon wanted to abolish smoking. I imagine when they got settled in down there they probably didn't change much of their Ordnung but who knows. I haven't seen a whole lot of change in the Menno's though.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/25/18 12:15 AM

Pretty big fine. Must’ve been one of the kings deer.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/25/18 12:32 AM

Either way. There has to be some pretty close bloodlines within the Amish communities.
Posted By: cci

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. - 12/25/18 01:38 AM

I didnt know amish is a religion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums