Home

Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up.

Posted By: wr otis

Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 01:28 PM

Give 'em both barrels. "We don't need China, and quite frankly would be better off without them". I bet Xi spit tea all over his computer screen when he read that one.

Going forward it should be obvious what a terrible mistake it is to let one country, and especially that one, have so much control over your economy.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 01:42 PM

I don't disagree with Trump trying to level the playing field regarding trade with China, however, so much manufacturing has left the U.S. and gone to China, I wonder how long it would take U.S. companies to re-tool to make their product(s) here again.
But that isn't the big or main issue here ; The American Consumer wants everything CHEAP, and so there's the rub.
Some folks will pay more to buy American Made, but the majority will not, regardless what they say.
Money (and greed) is the bottom line.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
I don't disagree with Trump trying to level the playing field regarding trade with China, however, so much manufacturing has left the U.S. and gone to China, I wonder how long it would take U.S. companies to re-tool to make their product(s) here again.
But that isn't the big or main issue here ; The American Consumer wants everything CHEAP, and so there's the rub.
Some folks will pay more to buy American Made, but the majority will not, regardless what they say.

Are these the same American consumers who will happily pay twice as much for "clean" energy? Actually, with the price of gas being what it is, folks might not feel much of a pinch at all
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 01:53 PM

Plenty of countries can manufacture as cheap as China, the problem is these companies want in on China's consumers. If we pulled out of China completely it would be painful but we would survive, China on the other hand I'm not so sure.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 02:02 PM

You have to ask yourself if you run a business and are in business to make money,why pay 3 times more to manufacture in the US versus cheaper in China where if you have competition cutting costs and being competitive keeps you in business? It sounds good to say have it made in the US but folks are wanting paid $20 an hour to make it worth their time to be able to make a decent living. Passed on to the consumer whom very few are going to go pay the higher price. Most of us use coupons or watch for a sale to buy things to save money.If one wants to grow their money,they aren't going to opt for paying the higher prices. No different than bickering on price when buying a new truck or a house. I don't know anybody that wants to work for pennies on the dollar to make things in the US.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

Are these the same American consumers who will happily pay twice as much for "clean" energy? Actually, with the price of gas being what it is, folks might not feel much of a pinch at all

Yep.......same ones.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 02:50 PM

So if they can’t get it cheap perhaps they will stop trying to keep up with the Jones. That won’t e a bad thing either.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 03:24 PM

You experience this first hand when you're a retailer.
Had a lot of discussions over the years with potential "customers" who expressed an interest in our products until they realized they could get a similar, but lesser quality product, cheaper at Walmart or Sam's Club.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 03:28 PM

Lot of truth in that statement.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 03:42 PM

tbn ask yourself how are Forefathers did it imagine a single income family , buying everything local quality over quantity and yes living within your means
Maybe the only way we can live now is with cheap credit, cheap consumables and low income workers to mow our grass and wash our windows
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 03:49 PM

There are billions of other people who would happily sell us cheap crap, if we stop doing business with China, including people in India, Pakistan, the rest of Asia, Mexico, South America and Africa. We don't need Chinese buyers for American manufactured goods. The people in those other countries, who started producing cheap goods for us, would then have the Chinese's former income and would spend it on our stuff.

In the case of food commodities, like corn, wheat and soybeans, China would continue to have to buy from us or have their people starve, until they rose up and overthrow the Chinese government.

Keith
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 03:51 PM

Well some one in this country is buying all of them new vehicles at 30 to 65K a pop, there seems to be no decline in making them, new homes are going in, as a raise is in place building them around areas of the country, and people don't seem to be starving, lots of new jobs being advertised as well.. Frankly it's been a long long time since China has had any one throw out bad words about them taking our business's for their benefit, maybe it will show them that they finally have to watch what they steal any more !

I'd venture a guess that if people want the things they wish so bad it won't matter to them if they have to buy it in this country, they just have to get used to supporting their own country again instead of others that take ours for granted !
Posted By: white17

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 04:00 PM

The problem isn't that we can't have goods manufactured somewhere else. In fact, businesses would prefer to have things made in SE Asia rather than in China. Additionally, those SE Asian countries want to manufacture for our markets.

The rub is that those same SEA manufacturers want access to those billion consumers in China. They won't get that access if they tick off China by taking jobs away.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 04:38 PM

Those billion consumers in China, how much less money would they have available to spend if we quit buying from them? How many hundreds of billions of dollars leave this country for China every year?

Say in the future the Chinese decide they want to rule the world, which I believe they do, and they just refuse to ship some vital products to us. Not cheap chinese shoes or toys with lead paint, but some things that are really necessary for our country. Maybe they cripple the car industry by with holding parts, or batteries, or tires, or bearings. Same with other industries that would be vital to our future. We might not think that is possible, but i would bet they have already made plans for the possibility. Their interest in dominance in the south China sea, you suppose that was a spur of the moment whim, or a long thought out plan with more to come. Aside from bleeding us dry and stealing our technology, I believe they could care less about our general welfare.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 04:45 PM

pig castrator
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
pig castrator

Trump put a 25% tariff on those. Cheaper to buy American now.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
pig castrator

Cattle flatus.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 05:48 PM

Best president for America in my lifetime...Bar none!

Give it to'em Trump.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:05 PM

It is such thought that makes the donald believe he could commit murder and his supporters would still love him. laugh whistle

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:08 PM

Up yours grackle. trolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:27 PM

I believe it's the truth, hip. wink

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:36 PM

I believe you do, but i look at the source. You, lol
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:43 PM

Every market that China has that we frequent can be done and was being done by someone else before our politicians like gropin Joe got in bed with China! Our politicians have given them what they have of ours. And we can take it back or give the biz to some else!!!
Posted By: danvee

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 06:44 PM

The reason business went over to China is the US consumer cant afford to pay for things made at home here in the US. The unions were great for awhile then they got greedy and things went south. If we go to another country to spend our money what changes. We are all ready hitting heads with Mexico, we are hooked on cheap and asking businesses to pull out of China? really where is the authority and I don't see it happening what if we were asked to stop trapping, who is ready to do it on a volunteer basis or give up our guns. I guess I don't see it happening. I guess we will see how it all turns out and history will be written. And now we got a democrat billionaire Tom something that is going to fix every thing. Every billionaire trying buy their way into the hill to fix things, its all about money. Speaking of had 21 fox at the NAFA auction sold 6 for a whopping $10.50 won't even mention the coon. Thanks to the coyote and cat market last season still smiling.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 07:19 PM

Nah

Use to see a lot of: made in Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

And when you do the math on jobs that are lost to our citizens by the ! mentality of "communist" countries can do it cheaper? I think k you will find it is way more expensive to have another country do it for you simply because they pay their employees less!

Loss of tax revenue, medical benefits etc...

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 07:20 PM

All that went away when our Commie login politicians decided to run America down the toilet!
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 07:51 PM

Yep..Have to see what comes out of the G-7 summit this weekend in France..I'm sure Ivanka is with her dad and will have to hear all about that first..LOL

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 08:40 PM

We are addicted to cheap, disposable products that we can buy over and over again so there is an excuse to go shopping.
Many want us all to believe American workers are a big part of the problem, but the majority of foreign cars sold in the US are made here. And foreign car makers build more cars here than the "big 3" American manufactures.......... Sure hope their governments don't make companies take their plants back to their home countries.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 08:48 PM

They build here specifically to avoid tarriff's, number one reason. They also pick nonunion areas to build their cars, that's not by accident either. I'd love to see jap and Korean vehicles leave this country, never should have sold ourselves down the river to start with.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 08:52 PM

Bringing back manufacturing production to the USA is a long, long process and will need huge amounts of investment. If we discontinue buying from the Chinese for the near and foreseeable future those products will most likely come from other Southeast Asian nations. Many are building up, but to replace China short term will be difficult for them to to do and meet demand. Also I would anticipate that USA companies would be much more likely to invest and build in other Southeast nations than here. They can do so faster, with far less cost and far lower operational costs, so I don't see these jobs landing on our shore any time soon.
We continue to harp on the Chinese for their technology theft and there is much truth to this but I doubt if many realize that the "Silicone Valley" of the World is being built now in China. When that technology hub moves from the US to China then there will be far more issues to deal with. We sell a lot of technology and that goes into military hard and software. We are probably closer to loosing that market than we are regaining the athletic shoe market of or the apparel market.

Bryce
Posted By: Jarhead620

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

You Trump suckers can't handle the truth.

Jarhead

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 09:26 PM

How much do think our furs will be worth if they are only sold to the costumers who lives in the USA?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 09:44 PM

only problem with fur has been Chinese buyers trying to evade the tariffs imposed by their own country along with flooding the market with inferior goods at basement prices
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 09:45 PM

Yep..I'll choose to stop buying..In fact I already have for sometime..selective purchases
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jarhead620

You Trump suckers can't handle the truth.

Jarhead
...............and what is the truth? enlighten please!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:08 PM

Yeah Jarhead!

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
How much do think our furs will be worth if they are only sold to the costumers who lives in the USA?
.......that's the only market we have!!!!! lol coyotes are north American market! and the oly thing selling at decent prices!
Posted By: James

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:29 PM

Let's hope Trump doesn't do his master's bidding and get Putin a seat back in what would then be the G-8.

Jim
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:33 PM

Best president for America in my lifetime...Bar none!

Give it to'em Trump.

I tend to agree.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by James
Let's hope Trump doesn't do his master's bidding and get Putin a seat back in what would then be the G-8.

Jim

[Linked Image]

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 10:53 PM

Jim
......well , Putin is the one who elected him, right? lol

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 11:26 PM

Yeah, Trump owes Putin big time. You can tell by the smirk on Vladimir's face every time those two come out of a meeting.

Jim

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/24/19 11:34 PM

Vlad is loving these last few years............. I wonder,...........might he have something on the donald? confused

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 12:40 AM

Then Putin did this country a huge favor, if that's what you believe happened.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 12:44 AM

Don't sugar coat it hippie.

Tell old gryhkl what you really think !!! laugh

w
Posted By: danvee

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 03:05 AM

So the big bad tariffs on China just like years ago with honey and garlic being produced in China. Not a problem China cuts a deal with Taiwan sells the product to them and they sell to the USA. Wow what has been accomplished. The politics of tariffs must be mind boggling but I doubt it is going to help us out. Get out of China with you business and start all over again here, Trump does not get elected then what happens or even if he does, the next administration pulls the rug out from under you and your competition starts up in China. Right now there is very little stability and things might not have been the best but is is really shaky now. Whats going on now has been happening in Venezuela banana republics its getting like a dictatorship.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

w

Anyone who challenges group-think here gets labeled a troll by those who are losing the debate.

Jim

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

w

Hey now, the hipster is probably just worried about hurting my feelings! laugh But that "up yours" has me a bit concerned eek

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 09:52 AM

BTW, just what is likely to happen with the fur, ginseng and other such goods that have traditionally sold to China?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 10:33 AM

Jim

Why shouldn't Russia be readmitted? I think it was a mistake to remove them.
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 11:49 AM

BTW, just what is likely to happen with the fur, ginseng and other such goods that have traditionally sold to China?

It already happened. China put tarriffs on their own people because they were buying OUR fur. Then the fur market tanked.

Screw China, buy American!
Posted By: tbn

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 01:11 PM

So nobody sell to Groney this year because he deals directly to the Chinese.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 02:55 PM

Right there - this sums it all up... and like that other thread going, Made in U.S.A. can mean just about anything today - except actually being 100% made here in the states.

I'm personally not playing that game where I'm paying more for American Made only to find out that it's really not.
I mean seriously - how many American companies design, manufacture, test, and package their products 100% here in the States ??

I would think the list is pretty short at best.

Even the defense contractors... how many people think the M model Blackhawk is Made in America ??

Assembled yes, but made ???

Hardly..............

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 04:18 PM

I go out of my way to avoid made in China, I might not be happy buying from other countries but anybody is higher on my list than the Chinese. I either ask where it is made or look at the label, either way I'm not buying anything I don't have to from that country.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
So nobody sell to Groney this year because he deals directly to the Chinese.

Why?

Because he sells to China!?
Posted By: Jarhead620

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 06:35 PM

I was referring to gryhkl's put down of hippies' preposterous evaluation of Trump's performance.

Jarhead

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 08:32 PM

Lol

Looks like everything will say: "made in Japan" real soon?

China can have the participation ribbon for playing?

President Donald Trump announced a new trade deal in principal with Japan on Sunday, during the G7 summit of world leaders in France.
“This is a tremendous deal for the United States,” Trump said after announcing the deal with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. “It’s a, really, tremendous deal for our farmers and agricultural ranchers, and also involves other things.”

The two leaders agreed on a deal in principle, which they expected would be signed during the United Nations General Assembly in New York in September.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 08:41 PM

Where did donald trump have the ties and other accessories labeled in his name made?
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 09:45 PM

Where did donald trump have the ties and other accessories labeled in his name made?

C-H-I-N-A!!!
Posted By: rex123

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/25/19 10:03 PM

A few made in America companies. Stetson hats,Crayola crayons,Zippo lighters, Louisville sluggers, and Weber grills.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ratbrain

C-H-I-N-A!!!

Mostly not in China, some in America, but mostly in many different countries that have companies that specialize in that specific product, for most of the whole world's sales. We are part of a global market. President Trump has done an excellent job at getting us a larger market share. Try to prove me wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-made-overseas-heres-the-complete-list/

Keith

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by rex123
A few made in America companies. Stetson hats,Crayola crayons,Zippo lighters, Louisville sluggers, and Weber grills.

There are over 13 million people in America in manufacturing jobs. That is not a few. The number is climbing up under President Trump's leadership.

Keith

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 12:24 AM

"President Trump has done an excellent job at getting us a larger market share. Try to prove me wrong."

It's impossible to prove a negative, Keith. I'm more interested in your proof for the claim you make here.

The article link you added doesn't appear to support your claim.

Jim

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 12:36 AM

"President Trump has done an excellent job at getting us a larger market share. Try to prove me wrong."

It's impossible to prove a negative, Keith. I'm more interested in your proof for the claim you make here.

Jim

The article linked was to refute the dishonest and erroneous claim that all of President Trump's accessories were made in China, which the liberal media written article does quite well.

James, you should just look a the current financial numbers. If you looked at more primary source, unadulterated facts, you are clearly smart enough to become conservative. Try to let go of your hate of the man and look at what he has accomplished.

Keith
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Try to let go of your hate of the man and look at what he has accomplished.

Keith

Excellent advice although I doubt it will be taken.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 02:40 AM

My suggestion to this country is to do away with CREDIT CARDS … that way everyone would have to live within their means … I found out the hard way when I retired and now am not able to work a part time job or make extra money trapping …. I was making more per hour week in 1960 than I am now on retirement … !!!! Think about life situations you have no control over. I buy what I have money in hand to buy … !

Garry-
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Jim

Why shouldn't Russia be readmitted? I think it was a mistake to remove them.

Democrats hate Russians because they gave up on communism.

Mike

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 12:52 PM

Jim

The article linked was to refute the dishonest and erroneous claim that all of President Trump's accessories were made in China, which the liberal media written article does quite well.

James, you should just look a the current financial numbers. If you looked at more primary source, unadulterated facts, you are clearly smart enough to become conservative. Try to let go of your hate of the man and look at what he has accomplished.

Keith

I have a little experience along this line... Try to find an American manufacturer who will produce a ball cap with a custom monogram. Especially one who can provide the volume you would need for the MAGA hat popularity.

My boss has looked and looked. He wanted a mesh snapback with the company logo embroidered on the front... He found one company and they made him a half dozen samples... But they must specialize in little league ball caps because with the adjustment set to the largest setting it won't fit most people's heads.

It's not as easy as one would think.

Mike

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 08:06 PM

Manufacturing is flourishing in the USA with fewer employees and the trend will continue and most likely speed up due to necessity as younger workers don't want to train to do the higher tech manufacturing jobs that is where the labor force is going. Below is one link that discusses just one aspect of this issue.

Bryce

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/09/i...nufacturing-jobs-and-thats-a-good-thing/

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 08:21 PM

Most liberal arts majors enrolled in college would earn more, with a huge amount less debt, if they went into a skilled trade. People in skilled trades are looked down on by many Americans, so teenagers keep going to college to obtain non useful degrees. Last week, the local news announced that in the Columbus, Ohio area alone, there are over 20,000 unfilled, high wage, skilled trade jobs. High school guidance counselors and parents should steer more young people into the trades. We need to lose the stigma that you are less if you work with your hands.

Keith

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/26/19 09:52 PM

Through a comprehensive and rational immigration program we could fill those jobs but then that would take away most of the thunder of the opposing views and their issues for raising monies for their causes. Many times we get exactly what we are looking for and then complain about getting it.

Bryce
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:12 AM

Are Chinese products really cheep? I cant think on any of their junk I will miss.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by scalloper
Are Chinese products really cheep? I cant think on any of their junk I will miss.

I know I would like a Zenith or a Philco come back. A lot of our youngins don't have pride in our great Nation, our Old Glory, our Anthem and such but they are so talented. I wish some of them would get right and get with it. I also wish our Nation would make a way for them to be able to get with it. Don't take a degree from the indoctrinating academia, just a want and a way.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:45 AM

Would you miss your cell phone or computer?

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:51 AM

Most liberal arts majors enrolled in college would earn more, with a huge amount less debt, if they went into a skilled trade. People in skilled trades are looked down on by many Americans, so teenagers keep going to college to obtain non useful degrees. Last week, the local news announced that in the Columbus, Ohio area alone, there are over 20,000 unfilled, high wage, skilled trade jobs. High school guidance counselors and parents should steer more young people into the trades. We need to lose the stigma that you are less if you work with your hands.

Keith

Absolutely right ! I believe that a lot of community colleges should transition to trade schools. When you think rationally, if that's possible anymore..... why would one go into debt for a PhD in lesbian dance theory when they could learn a trade that will pay them well for their life time ?

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:52 AM

I dont think it would take long for a American company to make something that will actually last.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:55 AM

Cell phone is the worst invention ever created. How's a man supposed to "get away" from the wife with one of those dang things strapped to their side.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

Cell phone is the worst invention ever created. How's a man supposed to "get away" from the wife with one of those dang things strapped to their side.

I can, and do, turn mine off.

Mike

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by scalloper

I know I would like a Zenith or a Philco come back. A lot of our youngins don't have pride in our great Nation, our Old Glory, our Anthem and such but they are so talented. I wish some of them would get right and get with it. I also wish our Nation would make a way for them to be able to get with it. Don't take a degree from the indoctrinating academia, just a want and a way.

There are a few like that but there alot of hard working young people in these parts. My 4 sons dont stop and their ladies are the same. I do see the occasional 25-30 year old living at home doing nothing but they are a product of their environment. You know the type that allow their kids to raise themselves?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 02:01 AM

Straight to the point , and funny as heck ............i cant stop laughing

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/27/19 09:17 PM

And it's so original. Just had to come from a great mind. wink Somebody must have started to melt down. Sounds like something that would happen to a snowflake.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 12:18 AM

Keith

I am not knocking trades, but I do think we are foolish to suggest that all our problems are solved if 95% of our young folks went off to trade school and abandoned the college system entirely. Trade jobs like anything else ebb and flow. Also, I can't help but wonder what automation will do to some of these trade jobs in the future?

It really comes down to drive. I know successful people with liberal arts degrees, just as I know successful ones in blue collar trade jobs. It all depends on the person. Hard to stand in the way of someone driven to succeed.

Personally, I would like to see schools do a better job of having real world discussions with students about their future. Some are a better fit for college, while others should explore trades. I am not confident all schools systems fully discuss these options with students, and help them to make the right choices. Someone that clearly likes working with their hands should probably be steered towards trade jobs, especially if they aren't the best classroom student. On the flip side, kids doing well in the traditional classroom with little interest in trades should probably be prepped for college. It's good to have both. But, this seems to be another issue some (on both sides) seem to want to make an us versus them thing for no reason. There is room for both blue and white collar workers in this country.

Additionally, I would like to see schools (and many parents) put forth more education on financial management and debt responsibility. Many of these trade workers may not have student loans to worry about, but how many have maxed credit cards, bought more house than they could really afford, drive a fully loaded new truck, have new UTVs, ATVs, boats, etc? Great if one can afford that stuff, but the reality is the amount of debt taken on by many in our society is sad. No one saves for anything anymore, they simply find another loan or credit card to take advantage of, knocking them further into debt.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 12:42 AM

When I was in school in the 90s they didnt push it, because they didnt have it, I learned from my grandfather and father because thats what they did for a living with farming. Now ICCC has a diesel tech program again same as what dad went through in the early 70s so there is a push back to it here in north central Iowa.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Kelsey

Keith

I am not knocking trades, but I do think we are foolish to suggest that all our problems are solved if 95% of our young folks went off to trade school and abandoned the college system entirely. Trade jobs like anything else ebb and flow. Also, I can't help but wonder what automation will do to some of these trade jobs in the future?

It really comes down to drive. I know successful people with liberal arts degrees, just as I know successful ones in blue collar trade jobs. It all depends on the person. Hard to stand in the way of someone driven to succeed.

Personally, I would like to see schools do a better job of having real world discussions with students about their future. Some are a better fit for college, while others should explore trades. I am not confident all schools systems fully discuss these options with students, and help them to make the right choices. Someone that clearly likes working with their hands should probably be steered towards trade jobs, especially if they aren't the best classroom student. On the flip side, kids doing well in the traditional classroom with little interest in trades should probably be prepped for college. It's good to have both. But, this seems to be another issue some (on both sides) seem to want to make an us versus them thing for no reason. There is room for both blue and white collar workers in this country.

Additionally, I would like to see schools (and many parents) put forth more education on financial management and debt responsibility. Many of these trade workers may not have student loans to worry about, but how many have maxed credit cards, bought more house than they could really afford, drive a fully loaded new truck, have new UTVs, ATVs, boats, etc? Great if one can afford that stuff, but the reality is the amount of debt taken on by many in our society is sad. No one saves for anything anymore, they simply find another loan or credit card to take advantage of, knocking them further into debt.

I never suggested anything close to that 95% of young people should abandon college and go off to trade school. We obviously need young people to do both.

Keith

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 01:19 AM

And there are those who do well in both worlds.

I managed to squeak out of the California University system with a summa cum laude diploma. BUT I got a lot more more pleasure and money using my hands AND brain in the construction consulting industry.

The problem that I see first hand is that high schools try to shove kids through a funnel and send them on to college where they immediately flunk out. This IS NOT their fault. They are completely unprepared for a college curriculum and they have no one to blame but those hacks in the high school administration who pushed them somewhere they didn't belong.

Some kids belong in college and some don't . It's that simple. We do a great disservice to those who DON'T belong there, by trying to make them fit the mold

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 01:46 AM

Some times both dovetail together very well. In my case I grew up milking cows, feeding youngstock, handling machinery, planting and harvesting crops and yes cleaning a lot of pens. That hands on background fit with my dairy science and ecology classes and I was able to become an instructor teaching dairy management, farm and financial management and becoming a agriculture agent, counselor etc. I found the mesh of both very rewarding physically, emotionally, mentally and yes financially. Not bad to retire and walk away from work that one loved to do and start something new.

Bryce

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by white17

I managed to squeak out of the California University system with a summa cum laude diploma. BUT I got a lot more more pleasure and money using my hands AND brain in the construction consulting industry.

The problem that I see first hand is that high schools try to shove kids through a funnel and send them on to college where they immediately flunk out. This IS NOT their fault. They are completely unprepared for a college curriculum and they have no one to blame but those hacks in the high school administration who pushed them somewhere they didn't belong.

Some kids belong in college and some don't . It's that simple. We do a great disservice to those who DON'T belong there, by trying to make them fit the mold

This sums it up perfectly. This is why I have a great deal of respect for Mike Rowe, he really gets it and is trying to right that wrong. He's helping not only a lot of kids but also filling those gaps in the service industry that need filling.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 02:49 AM

Through unearned financial aid and socialist programs , universities have cranked out countless proffesional morons.

Its all about a piece of paper at the end of the day

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 04:00 AM

Like you I guess I am pretty good in both worlds. I grew up doing blue collar farm work, and joined the service right out of high school. Plenty of hands on work. After a few years I realized the advantages of an education and started taking classes when I could. I now have a BA and an MA, all accomplished while on active duty. I am also happy to say I don't have one dime in student debt. While the degrees were not necessary for me to advance in my military career, I know they didn't hurt me. In fact I am pretty certain it helped put me over the edge when I made E9, as things were very competitive. I am sure it helped in my selection as a Chief Warrant Officer as well. While some may call my degrees worthless pieces of paper, I know they have helped me and I am proud of them.

Sure I can work with my hands pretty well, but for me I am kind of looking forward to using my degrees when I retire from the Navy in a few years. For me at least, this seems like a road I want to take. I also understand my interests and career path is not for everyone. That's the beauty of this country...we are all free to pursue what makes us happy.

What kind of started me off on this sidebar is that it seems every direction I turn I am seeing and hearing the chants about trades. I completely get we need some in the trades, but not all. As I said in an earlier post I think some trades will be changed, if not phased out with coming technologies. Of course the technologies themselves should bring about jobs, albeit ones of a different flavor. But regardless, there remains many good jobs today that are only available to those with a degree.

I do think schools are getting a little better about not pushing everyone to college. I see more technical high schools popping up. I actually think in many cases the parents are the biggest factor in children attending college. Whether we like it or not, there remains a stigma about many blue collar jobs in this country. Many parents simply don't want their children to do anything but attend the "finest" of universities and so the children are shoved off to college. For them it's all about their own ego having their kid(s) attend these colleges. These are the people that feel their status in their little social clique would be damaged if their child was off getting their hands dirty in a trade. Not saying I agree with them, but we all know this is sadly still reality. Many politicians have been on the trade school kick as of late as well, yet the majority of those same politicians are still sending their own children off to four year colleges. Interesting isn't it.

BTW. Just because I seem to have taken the college side in this debate, I certainly see the beauty of the other side as well. My step-son, who just graduated high school this past spring, is about to start work as a machinist. He received training for this in a vocational technical high school he attended for a few years. He likes that kind of work, and my wife and I are happy he has found something he likes to do. We are both proud of him. As I said before, find whatever it is that makes you happy and give it your all.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 05:07 AM

I can't argue with any of that !

One thing I have found is that even if you are working with your hands...the fact that you have that 'piece of paper' means a lot more money for the same amount of work.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 07:50 AM

Ken/Cameron although it's hard to argue with many of your points I do agree that college is being over sold,

There are too many variables and the price of college is becoming insane. My son started college this fall, he is only a few credits short of his two year degree thanks to a program that MN has that allows kids to take online college accredited courses in high school. Even so if it wasn't for his epilepsy I may have likely encouraged him to come to work with me

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 07:52 AM

" why would one go into debt for a PhD in lesbian dance theory when they could learn a trade that will pay them well for their life time ?"

Maybe because she loves and lives for lesbian dance theory. With the PhD, she might make a living teaching lesbian dance theory, of maybe just practicing at it will enrich her life.

Size of a paycheck isn't everything. Both of my kids graduated college with liberal arts degrees, and both still practice their chosen art, music--and both are self-supporting. Our son has his own business teaching guitar, and does well for his family.

So I'll make the case for defense of a liberal arts degree. It will enrich your life if nothing else, and will not hurt your chances of finding a job.

Jim
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 11:35 AM

After all, you’ll need a good one to pay back those student loans. lol

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 12:28 PM

My oldest son finished his masters last May. He is now working as a Physician's Assistant earning very near 100K as a starting base salary.
He also plays piano, guitar, saxophone very well and even plays a cello fairly well.
He just turned 23 last month and is earning a pretty good living doing something he finds challenging and rewarding, both personally and financially. One of the things he hoped his major would allow is the chance to live in an area where he could hunt, fish, and do all the other outdoor hobbies he has grown up doing. He was recruited by a hospital that was the perfect fit.

In his teen years he helped me often when I was doing a lot of remodeling and building cabinets. For a while, he talked about doing such work for a living. I did not discourage him, but I made sure he took college prep and advanced placement courses in high school "just in case" he changed his mind. I'm glad he did and so is he.

College is not for everyone. But, for some, it is exactly what suits them best.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 01:10 PM

" why would one go into debt for a PhD in lesbian dance theory when they could learn a trade that will pay them well for their life time ?"

Maybe because she loves and lives for lesbian dance theory. With the PhD, she might make a living teaching lesbian dance theory, of maybe just practicing at it will enrich her life.

Size of a paycheck isn't everything. Both of my kids graduated college with liberal arts degrees, and both still practice their chosen art, music--and both are self-supporting. Our son has his own business teaching guitar, and does well for his family.

So I'll make the case for defense of a liberal arts degree. It will enrich your life if nothing else, and will not hurt your chances of finding a job.

Jim

Nothing wrong with that James as long as it pays enough to support ones chosen lifestyle and the individual doesn't expect the taxpayer to subsidize those choices.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Jim

Nothing wrong with that James as long as it pays enough to support ones chosen lifestyle and the individual doesn't expect the taxpayer to subsidize those choices.

There's definately a different view point when it comes to the younger folks [late 20s early 30s] vs folks my age [mid 50s] and in a way, I envy the younger folks because they tend to live in the present moment, they are not constantly thinking 20 years out like I always have.

Of interest, the major corporations have taken notice of this, and have responded accordingly by providing lower wages and less benefits, and the younger folks are perfectly fine with that.
They are also perfectly fine with living together - splitting the rent and chores numerous ways, in some cases even mortgages... and they are very happy living their lives together.

In the end, that is what matters.

Being able to live a life where one is happy, and being able to live that life on their terms.

I look at many of my co-workers at the plant, who with endless overtime and no vacations make well over $150k so they can afford their surburban mcmansions and live lives of misery.
I on the other hand chose to live in a more poorer section of town, working class... and I never work any OT and take off as much time as possible to the point where I am almost considered a part time worker, and in the end I ask who's better than me in that plant....

Not too many, that's for sure.

Then, the endless discussions on retirement - and how the majority wants to work well into their 70s so they can maximize their benefits [if they live long enough, which I am never at a loss to remind them of...] and you should see the looks on their faces when I tell them I'm out at 55, I'll start collecting my pension and get a job at the garden center either at Lowes or Home Depot simply because I can since my mortgage on my little home is paid off now.

So, as James mentioned alternative careers are the wave of the future.
Out here in CT, if don't think outside the box today - you can forget about ever getting ahead with all the corporations moving up to Mass, where oddly enough they pay higher taxes than here in CT but reap the benefits of a more talented work force that is younger, smarter, and has no interest in leaving metropolitian areas such as Boston, and in fact they don't even want to own or drive a car !!

Nothing wrong with that, in retrospect I do miss living in NYC for that reason alone, but NYC has become completely unaffordable for someone like me.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 02:14 PM

My oldest son finished his masters last May. He is now working as a Physician's Assistant earning very near 100K as a starting base salary.
He also plays piano, guitar, saxophone very well and even plays a cello fairly well.
He just turned 23 last month and is earning a pretty good living doing something he finds challenging and rewarding, both personally and financially. One of the things he hoped his major would allow is the chance to live in an area where he could hunt, fish, and do all the other outdoor hobbies he has grown up doing. He was recruited by a hospital that was the perfect fit.

In his teen years he helped me often when I was doing a lot of remodeling and building cabinets. For a while, he talked about doing such work for a living. I did not discourage him, but I made sure he took college prep and advanced placement courses in high school "just in case" he changed his mind. I'm glad he did and so is he.

College is not for everyone. But, for some, it is exactly what suits them best.

When I was younger, living in NYC my plan was to major in Photography and be a photo journalist.
That was in 1982, but things changed... and I shifted gears and went to school to learn about aviation.

In retrospect this was a very smart move because I've had a very successful career, which in turn allows me to do the things i really want to do.

So, many good points made in this comment here, and I am proud of your son.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 07:57 PM

I think public financial aid distribution should be based on job placment and the percentage of students working in the field studied ,and the percentage of successful repayment of student loans by the past graduates of each program

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 10:16 PM

I agree, Bigfoot. There should also be something done to lower the interest rates on school loans.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 10:50 PM

I agree, Bigfoot. There should also be something done to lower the interest rates on school loans.

Why?

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 11:50 PM

One thing I have found is that even if you are working with your hands...the fact that you have that 'piece of paper' means a lot more money for the same amount of work.

You’re right white17 even for if you’re welder without a college education you can get your certification and sometimes means the difference of 30 an hour or 100 dollars an hour.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 11:54 PM

Cameron Kelsey the only thing is there are a few parents left who want their kids to be able to live a easier life than they did, I cant find the right words but thats as close as I could think of.
Posted By: yaaintdeadyet

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/28/19 11:58 PM

In keeping with the topic of "trade". Read this: https://www.meatingplace.com/Industry/News/Details/87377

Interesting?

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/29/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Cameron Kelsey the only thing is there are a few parents left who want their kids to be able to live a easier life than they did, I cant find the right words but thats as close as I could think of.

Nothing wrong with that Bob.

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/29/19 04:28 PM

I made a lot of money shingling roofs when was younger. I would not want to be earning a living doing that at my age now, and I hope my sons find a less physically demanding, and more rewarding way for themselves.
And I inherited no money from my parents, but I hope to leave a decent amount of money to each of them.....Proverbs 13:22, King James Bible
A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Nothing at all wrong with a parent wanting a better life for their children. Often, a college education can lead to that.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Ratcheting up the China rhetoric, all the way up. - 08/29/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa

You’re right white17 even for if you’re welder without a college education you can get your certification and sometimes means the difference of 30 an hour or 100 dollars an hour.

I've always impressed on my kids that a technical college is as good or better than college, if you find a vocation you really like.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums