Home

How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease

Posted By: lumberjack391

How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 08:17 PM

Ive been short-lining lately and it seems a lot of my close to home ground has been tied up for years with leases- now get this, its been ground owned by big
Co. that allowed you on anyways before it got leased. I cant get on to trap for love nor money, at least the love or money I would shell out. I know, money talks but to me that is nothing but greed I had a nice line that filled in perfectly now I have to skip over a lot of it. I cant blame the company for accepting the absurd amount deer hunters will pay.
I have a lot of Game Commission ground nearby but it is all up on the ridges and Im primarily a water trapper. Just wondering if and how much deer leasing has affected your lines.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 08:26 PM

In VT land leasing for hunting has made everything more difficult. Almost 30 years ago we saw it coming and leased land and built a camp 11/2 miles up the mountain. We don’t post the property and all has been fine so far we don’t mind other people hunting as long as they do so legally. No poaching!
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:08 PM

Why is it absurd for deer hunters to pay for a lease, when you state your self you would do the same for trapping right's ?

People own the ground and wish to make money off it, whether its cattle, agriculture or hunting of any kind, and they are the bad people for doing so. What people used to walk all over without a care in the world, knowing all the time who owned it but never asking or giving back.

Always irks me when people get upset they can't just go all over others ground any more, cause they choose to support them selves off it in a way the free loaders don't like.

It's not to late to gather up some friends and do the same as the deer hunters do before more ground is gone !
Posted By: flash

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:28 PM

use it to your advantage. yotes and such are a ticket to your opening. you just have to wait till deer season has ended. moved to virginia in 97, dog hunting is big times in these parts. yes, i miss out on the start of the fur season but then again, the cats and otter/beav`s are really priming up over here come mid jan early feb. get 5/6 weeks in before some start the rub. scott
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:33 PM

Some but not too much. I bought my own place and kicked the guy that was deer hunting off of it. I caught 81 coyotes off of it in the 11 years I have lived there and I deer hunt it too. I trap it and I deer hunt it- Neither one bothers the other. Now I let two other guys with young families hunt deer too - they help me do things on the farm for me letting them hunt or sometimes they drop of a roast or something else. One of them wanted to lease it just for him but I said no and I don't take money for them hunting it.
The guy tying up all the land originally was a jerk.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:34 PM

Everywhere I hunt and almost everywhere I trap is public land. I couldn’t imagine having to ask for permission to hunt or trap.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Why is it absurd for deer hunters to pay for a lease, when you state your self you would do the same for trapping right's ?

People own the ground and wish to make money off it, whether its cattle, agriculture or hunting of any kind, and they are the bad people for doing so. What people used to walk all over without a care in the world, knowing all the time who owned it but never asking or giving back.

Always irks me when people get upset they can't just go all over others ground any more, cause they choose to support them selves off it in a way the free loaders don't like.

It's not to late to gather up some friends and do the same as the deer hunters do before more ground is gone !

I didn't say it was absurd to do so it is an absurd amount they pay to hunt ground that was already open to hunting- they just wanted all to themselves, I guess. Hey. that's cool. I also said I have nothing against the landowner making money by leasing. go re-read it. Calm down, it just messed up my line a little, I will live.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 09:54 PM

I haven't really started yet but have gotten written permission on several deer leases with thousands of acres to trap when deer season goes out January 31. The coons are raiding their feeders and the coyotes are despised so they welcome someone to control them. They don't care about the beavers and the cats either. Actually one lease has some beavers flooding a road they said I can go after them as soon as trapping season opens. I also belong to a deer lease with over 4,000 acres and I'm the only trapper.
Posted By: snowy

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 10:45 PM

Sad deal! We see that particular from one state. They come with money and get it tied up and the locals are screwed. These hunting people just move in because they have the money to do so.

I did today, got permission to trap on 5 new sections. I will bow hunt it also.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 10:54 PM

grit guy I agree. private property is private. raise the per head rate of cattle on blm to the same per head rate paid for pasture in the flint hills. cut off access to anybody the rancher doesn't give permission to. then cut off all the ag subsidies. all of them. including the extra tax breaks. then let the chips fall where they will
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 10:58 PM

Gritguy, calm down, it’s nothing to blow up about. Geeze
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 11:00 PM

I have lost 3 permissions to leases for deer and one for waterfowl. I don't blame the farmers. One gets 2800 for about 50 acres. Coons can do a lot of damage before reaching that level. I do go in late on one if I choose to.
The waterfowl one is pretty well tied up.

Bryce

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/09/19 11:56 PM

Hmmm, it's ok to get upset when you can't go on peoples property, but not ok to get up set when people get mad at you for charging leases's on it.

I just support people doing what they want with their own property, and if others get upset cause they have to look some where else due to a lease, oh well !

What if some one come through your door for dinner one night cause they have been crossing the ground for years and were hungry LOL or they like to sleep in that one spot over by the big tree

Danny ya we all could use some of them tax breaks cut off, not just the farmers, would put more of the dollars into the country for all them illegals to get, seems that's what half this country wants any way, won't matter where one wants to hunt if this keeps up, pretty soon there will be enough of them to just vote out what we all like to do, even argue LOL
Posted By: charles

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 12:03 AM

Can you enter when deer season is over?

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 12:12 AM

I don't know, there is some kind of deer season in it seems during our mink & rat season. I will check into that. All I would want is 3 stops. 2-4 traps at each stop no further than 30 yards off the main road. Gritguy, what kind of money should a freeloader offer them?
Posted By: Kre

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 01:14 AM

Leases, bait plots and crossbows...brings out the best in everyone. wink
Posted By: scheide

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 01:29 AM

Haven't lost any ground due to deer leases, yet. However I have restrictions on a lot of deer ground. Meaning, I can trap after deer season. Deer seasons here run from Sept.1 thru Jan. 15. So basically I don't get to trap these places at all.
Posted By: B. Shope

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 01:30 AM

thats why i hate cabellas and there trophy properties. before u know it only the privelaged will be hunting. Its only a matter of time.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 01:40 AM

Down here they pay you to trap their deer land, lol. Word of mouth goes a long way. Trap someone’s land that’s never been trapped and they see a difference in their feed bill, fawns on camera, turkey poults, and quail and they start talking with other landowners. Next thing you know I got more land to trap than I have traps or time. Retirement should be fun!! And I’m far from being a good trapper. Sometimes pay might just be another dozen traps or a turkey or two...but still pay in my book. One place pays per critter plus time. I like landowners that have high dollar land and hunters that lease it.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 03:03 AM

They are trying to lease all the land here they just haven't got it done yet. Only reason I still have places to trap and hunt is there is still a few people who dont want a bunch of sorry city folk leasen up there land. I have met a few of these lease guys about 8 or 10 drunk retards shooting everything that moves. They pay more to hunt the land then the cattle guys pay to run cattle. It nuts! There was a big bunch that had a lease and made the neighboring land owners mad over a few things, after they lost all there feeders, blinds and stands they didnt lease around here no more.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 03:25 AM

I got pinched out of a 125 acre farm to some stupid online phone app buy-a-hunt setup. The landowner contacts the company that they want to participate in the program and it gets put on their website where random folks use their phone to book daily hunts. I think it costs the hunter $40/day. $30 goes to the landowner, and $10 goes to online booking company.
What is this world coming to?!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 03:32 AM

Paid bird hunting killed traditional hunting in SD years ago, many of the best deer areas are now (big bucks) hunts only.
Posted By: eric space

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 05:20 PM

Lumberjack, most of the farms I trap are leased to deer hunters. You like water trapping. What got me in the door was doing nuisance beaver in the summer. I never charged the farmers and have more places to trap than I can get to. Deer hunters are a dime a dozen but good beaver trappers are rare. Note: Make sure the farmer or farm workers SEE every beaver you catch.
Posted By: bass10

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 05:31 PM

Lets be real Grit, not everyone that enjoys hunting, trapping and fishing can afford to go buy their own piece. If they've hunted a piece for years and even helped the landowner with doing things around the farm to help out it sucks to
lose this ground. They are not faulting the way things are going but they have every right to be bummed about it. I am fortunate to have access to 280 acres that buts up to my 1 acre cabin property. I have hunted and trapped it
for years, I have told the landowner if they ever decide to lease to please contact me first. Of course they have every right not to go that route. If they do I guess I shouldn't be bummed and down about it?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 05:40 PM

A guy can do a lot more then just pay to hunt/trap in many places like helping out around the places is a good way. I give out eggs to my landowners and help out with planting/harvest even if it's just driving a truck for a few days. I ADC trap for free when needed a lot of guy won't trap in the off season without getting paid so maybe they should pay when the fun stuff comes around.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:25 PM

bass10, I bet you would be surprised at just how many people go in on some of them leases to hunt on and they take turns going each year.

Don't give me that excuse, if anyone wants something bad enough they save or find away to attain it !

Not all leases are a fortune either, but take a monarch off it then your going to lose it after that knowledge gets around from people offering over ya for a chance at another. Nature of the beast to always want what others get, the cheaper they can do so the better, thats why you usually never hear of what they pay for a lease, they don't want to lose the ground any more than any one else does !
Posted By: Castormound

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
grit guy I agree. private property is private. raise the per head rate of cattle on blm to the same per head rate paid for pasture in the flint hills. cut off access to anybody the rancher doesn't give permission to. then cut off all the ag subsidies. all of them. including the extra tax breaks. then let the chips fall where they will

My thoughts also.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
A guy can do a lot more then just pay to hunt/trap in many places like helping out around the places is a good way. I give out eggs to my landowners and help out with planting/harvest even if it's just driving a truck for a few days. I ADC trap for free when needed a lot of guy won't trap in the off season without getting paid so maybe they should pay when the fun stuff comes around.

I'm on call all year round for beaver issues, that goes a long way. Trapped skunks and coons a few times during the summer also
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:36 PM

Agricultural land leased for hunting should no longer qualify for agricultural tax breaks when it comes to property tax, it should be taxed as recreational land.

As far as losing trapping spots to deer leases, just start predator trapping and charge for it.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by eric space
Lumberjack, most of the farms I trap are leased to deer hunters. You like water trapping. What got me in the door was doing nuisance beaver in the summer. I never charged the farmers and have more places to trap than I can get to. Deer hunters are a dime a dozen but good beaver trappers are rare. Note: Make sure the farmer or farm workers SEE every beaver you catch.

That's exactly how I obtained some nice trapping AND deer hunting properties.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Agricultural land leased for hunting should no longer qualify for agricultural tax breaks when it comes to property tax, it should be taxed as recreational land.

As far as losing trapping spots to deer leases, just start predator trapping and charge for it.

That leasing land to hunters comes with a whole different set of problems.here in NY,if you let someone on your property for recreational purposes,and DONT charge them,you are immune from being sued if someone gets hurt recreating.But if you do charge, then you best hope no one gets hurt or kilt.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

And make sure they have a guiding/outfitter license too!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound

My thoughts also.

Mine too!

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 10:30 PM

antler worship is not doing anybody any good

antler worshippers should just get together once a year in san Francisco, unzip their flys and let Richard simmons measure. then they could go home secure in the knowledge of who is biggest and who got in the johnny Johnson book, and go back to being deer hunters.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 11:18 PM

Danny, what makes you think every lease is bought out by Antler hunters ? Your beginning to sound like all of that fake news out there lately, just cause it does not fit your opinions !

Yea there are leases bought up for that, and they are the more expensive ones and larger piece's of ground, however there are quite a lot of hunters who do band together just to hunt without having to have jack wad general hunters run rough shod all over the country just cause they are used to doing so !

Some just cannot get it into their heads that there are all kinds of hunters who enjoy the outdoors, and just because some don't fit other's ideas of hunting does not make them any less important to enjoy the activity.

I used to be so against long range shooters calling them selves hunters, due to not doing any of the regular work of close in hunters, but then understood that nothing would ever convince them they are not a "regular" hunter just cause they will shoot a half a mile or more at game. Just like I would shoot 400 yds at a standing coyote.

So I just put up with their egos and let them rant, kinda like here on certain subjects, it makes no sense to really try to have people understand that owners can do what they want with their property, some feel they have an inherent right to march all over it, no matter of reason from the owner, just because they have done so without notice for years, like thats a rule in the books after so long doing so LOL

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 11:30 PM

here in ks its antler hunters

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/10/19 11:36 PM

I'm sure it's the same where ever there are lease's, we have those lease areas here as well I know for a fact, I'm just saying that everyone has a right to hunt, but they have to do it within the legalities they are bound by in that area, whether it's on leased land or not.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:04 AM

Danny, what makes you think every lease is bought out by Antler hunters ? Your beginning to sound like all of that fake news out there lately, just cause it does not fit your opinions !

Yea there are leases bought up for that, and they are the more expensive ones and larger piece's of ground, however there are quite a lot of hunters who do band together just to hunt without having to have jack wad general hunters run rough shod all over the country just cause they are used to doing so !

Some just cannot get it into their heads that there are all kinds of hunters who enjoy the outdoors, and just because some don't fit other's ideas of hunting does not make them any less important to enjoy the activity.

I used to be so against long range shooters calling them selves hunters, due to not doing any of the regular work of close in hunters, but then understood that nothing would ever convince them they are not a "regular" hunter just cause they will shoot a half a mile or more at game. Just like I would shoot 400 yds at a standing coyote.

So I just put up with their egos and let them rant, kinda like here on certain subjects, it makes no sense to really try to have people understand that owners can do what they want with their property, some feel they have an inherent right to march all over it, no matter of reason from the owner, just because they have done so without notice for years, like thats a rule in the books after so long doing so LOL

Can you supply the post where someone, anyone said that they don’t think landowners should be able to do what they want with their property? Why turn this into something that fits your thoughts with made up BS? A guy has every right to be bummed out over losing ground he’s hunted for years as you have every right to think he should be ok with it!
Posted By: Nd native

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Paid bird hunting killed traditional hunting in SD years ago, many of the best deer areas are now (big bucks) hunts only.

Leasing has pretty much ruined good snow goose hunting here. Everyone seems to want to have everything to themselves. Then again, trappers want big catches filling the truck bed, deer hunters want a buck with big antlers, pheasant hunters want a good tailgate photo.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:11 AM

If I want to bowl a 300 game am I to be chastised by the people that just want to bowl for fun? If I like the challenge of mature 5 plus year old bucks I guess I have to go to San Francisco and compare my junk? Nobody is knocking your passion why knock theirs?

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:17 AM

bass10, it was not mentioned, but it was thought of, thats the only reason it comes up, if you have not read it any where before your blinded by the light, LOL

It's not made up BS as you incline to state, and has come up here many times when people get ready to hunt and find them selves out of their favorite passage of hunting.

Yea he should be bummed out but not unexpectedly, however he should not be bummed out at the owners for locking it up or leasing it and thats always the end rant about losing it. People should always be prepared for this really as most land owners where there is ample game moving around will eventually move to this to make something on the ground while it sits idle in the winter. I'd venture that trapping ground is going to end up the same way eventually, especially when owners start paying attention to good price years, they like most trappers will assume that it's going to hold for the next year or so and will price it accordingly.

Because they have always done it they feel it should always be so.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:54 AM

"Yea there are leases bought up for that, and they are the more expensive ones and larger piece's of ground, however there are quite a lot of hunters who do band together just to hunt without having to have jack wad general hunters run rough shod all over the country just cause they are used to doing so !"

LOL, that's who get the deer moving around here. I wouldn't say they are running rough shod through the area.....may have got there late, may need to leave early, may be soaked, may be cold etc.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 02:10 AM

One thing I always stress to a landowner when getting permission to trap is I don't want exclusive rights to it. I always figure a young kid may want in there and I would never want to get in the way of that. I actually chastised a few for not letting others on.
I guess if a kid wants to hunt that area that's leased he better be related or come from a wealthy family.
Posted By: BILLBRASKEY

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 02:27 AM

I am lucky that most people around my country still have a brain and realize that someone needs to trap to keep the critters under control. We can party hunt deer in iowa and for a couple weeks in december the deer hunters have run of whatever they want to hunt, after that I can do as I please again. I just cant wrap my head around paying money to hunt anything I suppose
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 02:38 AM

Once you pay it is business. The key is that leases affect the locals. Farmer Joe likes the grocery store, gas station, and schools but wants to lease his ground to the big city man. Need help and are in a pinch? Call the city man you are leasing to and have him help you out. Way to many local kids have stopped hunting because of leasing.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 08:25 AM

I think if my money is taken from me by force and given to a landowner in the form of a subsidy, then that piece of ground should be public access. Ranches all over the west stay in business because of cheap pasture known as blm. Why should subsidized crop producers be any different?

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 12:04 PM

I think if my money is taken from me by force and given to a landowner in the form of a subsidy, then that piece of ground should be public access. Ranches all over the west stay in business because of cheap pasture known as blm. Why should subsidized crop producers be any different?

That's a very good point.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by eric space

No beaver to speak of on these flowages.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 12:43 PM

"bass10, it was not mentioned, but it was thought of, thats the only reason it comes up, if you have not read it any where before your blinded by the light, LOL"

You must be psychic, your reading minds. But yes, it sucks- I just feel like a peasant going past the kings woods. don't blame anyone for doing so though.

"Because they have always done it they feel it should always be so."

My line over the last 40 years surely changed, I lost some, gained some, some got better, some got worse, I have dealt with it.
Posted By: houndone

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease - 09/11/19 01:06 PM

same thing has happened here too. 40 years ago you couldn't hunt all of the land you had permission on in 1 day. now we can start in the morning and be done by noon.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums