Home

My little friend!

Posted By: Law Dog

My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:48 PM

Helped move a mini cabin on a lake to higher ground and this guy was under the siding, never seen one around here before, cool to say the least.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Matt28

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:51 PM

I have seen a bunch the last few weeks. I dint know why I am seeing so many
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:51 PM

They look like little aliens don't they.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:54 PM

She's ready to lay, keep her around your place and you will have them all over next year !
Posted By: KeithC

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:55 PM

Just don't marry her Jerry. Their mates lose their heads when they consummate. laugh

That's a female that will be laying an egg case soon.

I caught a praying mantis with an abdomen like that, when I was a kid. I let it hang out in my windows and catch flys. It disappeared for a few days and showed back up looking really skinny. Months later, I got home from school and my mom was yelling and vacuuming thousands of baby preying mantises, with a shop vac, from my windows.

She had laid multiple egg cases attached to the clothes in my closet.

Keith
Posted By: River Birch

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 06:58 PM

Some info on egg cases...

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/beneficial/praying-mantis-egg-sac-info.htm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 07:05 PM

She was a fat thing for sure I put her back at the cabin after we moved it just cool to have around, did not see the male around. LOL
Posted By: Getting There

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 07:12 PM

Interesting!
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 09:14 PM

Very cool!
Posted By: Finster

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
They look like little aliens don't they.
They just might be.
wink They are cool! I usually get them hanging out in the garden or on the mammoth sunflowers during the summer.
Posted By: snowy

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 09:48 PM

So, you will have to educate me on that critter?
Posted By: adam m

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:00 PM

Praying mantis has always been a favorite of mine. They are creepy when that are light brown.

Very cool
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Say Hello to my little Friend ....
Posted By: snowy

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
Praying mantis has always been a favorite of mine. They are creepy when that are light brown.

Very cool

Thanks Adam! I just couldn't remember what they were.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:07 PM

They actually make great pets! We used to catch them and keep them in a screened box. We would open the door to let flies in, then catch the flies and put them in the box with the praying mantis. They can snatch a fly out of the air.....then eat them while theyre kicking. When they're done they'll lick their hands to get the last bit of goodness. Cheap entertainment. 🙂
Posted By: KeithC

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:15 PM

If you collect the unhatched praying mantis eggs cases and place them with the same side oriented down, you can have thousands around your yard in the Spring. Unless you have a lot of insects for them to eat, they turn cannibalistic, even before they reach breeding age. I picked up 46 egg cases one year.

Keith
Posted By: Mac

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:39 PM

Never have seen one. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Mac
Posted By: squacks

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 10:51 PM

They also can get very big.
There is more than one video of them sitting on top of hummingbird feeders. They can catch and eat those as well.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: My little friend! - 09/13/19 11:20 PM

Cool critter. Definitely my favorite of the "bug" world.

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 01:17 AM

You're welcome Snowy. They are really great for the garden just like ladybugs. Fun to watch
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 01:30 AM

Mantises are excellent little predators. i always like seeing them. We have always had a decent population around here.

I found this one floating in the pool yesterday morning.

[Linked Image]

We had a big thunderstorm with hail and high winds the night before. He must have gotten blown out of one of those trees along with about a million leaves.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cmcf

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 02:01 AM

Stone cold killers one of my favorite bugs. Nightmare monsters to other bugs though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 02:13 AM

Those things must hump more than Stormy Daniels, we got a big crop of em this year
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 03:06 AM

They are the only insect that I know of which will turn its head and look you right in the eye. I has compound eyes, but has what appears to be a single pupil deep inside of its eye. They seem to look right into your soul. LIKE AN ALIEN!
Posted By: amspoker

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Just don't marry her Jerry. Their mates lose their heads when they consummate. laugh

That's a female that will be laying an egg case soon.

I caught a praying mantis with an abdomen like that, when I was a kid. I let it hang out in my windows and catch flys. It disappeared for a few days and showed back up looking really skinny. Months later, I got home from school and my mom was yelling and vacuuming thousands of baby preying mantises, with a shop vac, from my windows.

She had laid multiple egg cases attached to the clothes in my closet.

Keith

Reminds me of the time I put an egg case in a diorama at school as a kid. The teacher explained to me that over the weekend they had to remove it. When I got older I laughed when I realized what I'd done.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 04:04 AM

Thirty years ago on a dove hunt we were camping on the river and built a fire. After it got really dark, we had hundreds of them run straight into the fire. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen, like a mass suicide.

Amazing insect.

Pete
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 11:23 AM

Anybody remember Zorac from Space Ghost? LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
They actually make great pets! We used to catch them and keep them in a screened box. We would open the door to let flies in, then catch the flies and put them in the box with the praying mantis. They can snatch a fly out of the air.....then eat them while theyre kicking. When they're done they'll lick their hands to get the last bit of goodness. Cheap entertainment. 🙂

Now that would be fun...even at my age

Re: My little friend! - 09/14/19 02:20 PM

I watering my mom's plants and this guy showed up looking mad because he got a shower lol. Not as cool as having one on your glove Jerry

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums