Home

Gun collection

Posted By: Tactical.20

Gun collection - 10/12/19 09:09 PM

I saw my customers gun collection today, he said just short of 300 shotguns, rifles hand guns, knives
He's trying to figure out the best way to sell them, I said online could be risky, he agreed.
He wondered about a gun show, auction?
I saw all them laid out on tables and thought holy shoot!
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 09:16 PM

Local auction with a reputable company would get most bang for the buck. Pun intended

Gonna be awhile selling 300 of anything online.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 09:27 PM

Perhaps doing several smaller auctions so the buyers aren't so overwhelmed. Maybe a reserve on the guns with an auction every few months or so.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 09:28 PM

Sounds like you need to make him an offer on the whole lot
Posted By: Willy260

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:29 PM

The biggest benefit online is you have the entire nation as an audience. Most FFL dealers Will sell on consignment.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:34 PM

With the way things are going having the sales going through an FFL might be a good option. Wouldn't want something I sold getting in the wrong hands. Gun shows I wouldn't fool with as everybody wants a deal. Dealers will low ball you and again don't know who you're dealing with. I dabble in selling refurbished once fired brass so I go to quite a few. If it weren't for my partner I wouldn't even go anymore.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:44 PM

What's that auction company at the SD/IA border they seem like a option (The red barn looking place)?

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:46 PM

Not sure, haven't seen it law dog
Thanks for suggestions guys

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Sounds like you need to make him an offer on the whole lot

Lol, I can't even cover the bills every month! Not me I have interest only in guns I use, I have a broken.22, modified 870, and the Tactical.20
Posted By: Jags

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 10:51 PM

I was at a gun auction last Saturday in Annandale, MN. They had 450 guns up for auction. I think it took about 5 hrs. They also had a crap load of ammunition and miscellaneous sporting equipment. The Auction place is a FFL. You can also bid online if you want. I ended up with 5 and my girlfriend got 3. They charge a 10% buyers premium and sales tax so you have to watch your bidding or you will be overpaying a little.
Posted By: albtrapper

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 11:22 PM

Rock Island Auction Co.

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 11:24 PM

Found it!

https://www.lastchancesd.com/
Posted By: 160user

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by albtrapper
Rock Island Auction Co.

Commission is extremely high.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Gun collection - 10/12/19 11:53 PM

There are people who buy entire collections no mess no hassle for the seller. Does your friend have an inventory sheet of all he wants to sell?

Osky
Posted By: 160user

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
There are people who buy entire collections no mess no hassle for the seller. Does your friend have an inventory sheet of all he wants to sell?

Osky

I agree and sent him a PM with info on a local buyer I know. Better yet, they pay in $100 bills.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

I agree and sent him a PM with info on a local buyer I know. Better yet, they pay in $100 bills.

Exactly sir.

Osky

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 01:28 AM

Cabela's buys collection and so do some pawn shops but they might be a screw job with the prices.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 01:32 AM

Auction usually works especially with on line bidding. People that cannot make the auction can still bid.
Posted By: stumper

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 03:22 AM

It really depends on how much work he wants to put into it. It also depends on if these are fairly common guns or hard to find stuff. If they are common, sell local. It will be less work in the end as you don't have to deal with packaging and shipping them. Personally I would sell online. You legally have to ship to an FFL so that the purchaser can do a background check. This eliminates any worries of them ending up in the wrong hands. Online opens you up to the entire country, so your chance of a better profit is better.
Posted By: coop

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 10:42 AM

Big gun auctions draw huge crowds around here and quality guns sell at a premium usually.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 11:18 AM

My son-in-law died about 5 years ago. He had a bunch of guns,I don't remember how many, probably around 40. I took them to a friend who has a gun shop here in town. He also goes to all the gun shows in the area. He put them in his shop and also took them to the gun shows. He didn't sell them cheap, he put kind of high prices on them. He charged 15 percent of the sale price. It took about 2 years to sell them all but it was absolutely no work on my part.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Gun collection - 10/13/19 11:44 AM

If he can find a reputable auctioneer! A good one can get the crowd competing against one another. I would image a good auctioneer would charge 10-20%.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums