Home

Was I wrong?

Posted By: The Savage

Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 03:57 PM

Good Morning Friends... I would like your honest opinions on something I did. I joined a Facebook group I believe was called “the trapline” , I like looking at what others are up to, and I’ve commented many times with no issues.
So I was scrolling through and here’s a guy who is disabled (in a wheelchair) with his first coyote. There were 3-4 pictures including one with the obligatory baseball bat. I commented “ great job! But I think the non trapping community would appreciate it more without the picture with the bat”
Needless to say, I got kicked... I don’t think my comment was out of line, I enjoy catch pictures like everyone else. But I don’t like the pictures with the club. I think it gives us trappers a bad look.
Am I wrong here?
Posted By: mutt

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:14 PM

Yep... not only did you solicit your opinion where no one could give a darn, you did it to a guy who was taking a picture with his FIRST(as in he had never taken a picture like that before) coyote. Add to the fact that he is disabled so it can mean doing something we might consider simple in a trapping endeavor can be 10 times more difficult and you not only deserve a boot from the group you deserve a boot in your mouth. And even then as if you hadn't snubbed your nose up in the air high enough you come on here like you want some kinda support.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:23 PM

I’m not putting my nose in the air by any means.. I’m a trapper, I know what goes on. I’m just saying that with the horrible wrap trapping is getting, some things are better left unseen.
The fact that the guy is in a chair doesn’t have much to do with it.
Posted By: corky

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:25 PM

You were, and still are, wrong in my opinion. All you are doing is drawing attention to it.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:29 PM

I think your thought behind it was OK. But, a better approach might have been to PM the guy.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:32 PM

Good enough, I guess I was wrong
Posted By: white17

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:37 PM

I completely agree with your opinion on the bat. Those who read your comment can't "un-read" it. Hopefully they might use more discretion in the future.

The OTHER good thing is that you aren't giving clicks to FB any more.

WIN WIN !
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:49 PM

Hey The Savage, Don't worry about it. We all need to watch what we put on the internet. I would have sent him a private message instead but your motive is a good one.
Posted By: LeviSS

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 04:53 PM

I'm pretty sensitive about that kind of stuff too, because I've talked to enough people who don't trap and a bat crosses the line from "killing" to "barbaric" in a lot of peoples minds.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:03 PM

I'd not worry about it to much, comes up here all the time to, by people who know better !

Yea you set your self up on a trapping forum, just like here when another will say something about it.

Live and learn best you can do, just watch your wording if your going to reply publicly !
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:04 PM

I don't think you said anything wrong. Seems to me like you were polite, positive, and encouraging all around. I don't see how anyone could take offense at what you said.

But most people thing I'm an abrasive cad so maybe my opinion isn't the most valuable.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Hey The Savage, Don't worry about it. We all need to watch what we put on the internet. I would have sent him a private message instead but your motive is a good one.

I think we should all consider how nontrappers see what we do. I think a lot fewer folks would eat sausage if they watched it being made.
The post on site now with the nose caught coyote is interesting to us, but the pic could be ammo for anti-trappers.IMHO

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl

I think we should all consider how nontrappers see what we do. I think a lot fewer folks would eat sausage if they watched it being made.
The post on site now with the nose caught coyote is interesting to us, but the pic could be ammo for anti-trappers.IMHO

That post is gone for the very reason you cite
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:22 PM

Is it amazing how we have tea total around people these days. Remember we have to be political correct. What BS. It is like a obscene phone call, people will listen to the hole call and then tell you how obscene it was, HANG UP. If you do not like what I am typing push DELETE. JMO

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl

Watched the sausage being made, or saw what goes into it!
shocked
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Savage
Good enough, I guess I was wrong

Nope, your after the fact sensitivity towards the hypersensitive is the only mistake
Posted By: Midwest Hunter

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 06:44 PM

I think you did the right thing. I was the one who posted about the nose caught coyote. I thought you had to be a member to view threads and pictures but you don't so I definitely see why it was taken down. What gets me though is how we as hunters and trappers have to tip toe around everyone while they push their beliefs down our throats. I guess its just the world we live in. Just have to take a little different approach how we present things to the antis and people on the fence.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 06:51 PM

I make sausage. Made a big bunch last Sunday.

This isn't my site, I never paid a dime to use it, I enjoy it, so I will abide by the rules. Personally I'm not ashamed of what I do and have no desire to attempt appeasement of the anti's by hiding.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 07:59 PM

I like to read threads like this. I see there is quite a few who would bend over to keep the antis happy. Got to have some back bone.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 08:08 PM

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 08:19 PM

A picture with a positive comment can be the same picture with a lie attached to it down the road, you were right to point it out but like said a PM would be better maybe.

Even if your right a lot of folks will run you down for their own amusement, my question is did anyone saying how wrong you are have the right answer to the issue that addressed what you pointed out?
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Discernment with care for the cause.....
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 08:36 PM

Dang a guy gives an opinion and then he's threatened with a boot to the mouth? Society just keeps circling the drain hole.

Using discretion does not mean sucking up to the anti's. It just means using your head and not feeding fuel to the fire.

I could give a rats behind what the Anti's think, but I'm not the only trapper in the country, and I don't want to do or say something that might hurt us as a whole.

Then again, I know the world doesn't revolve around me. Wish more people realized that.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 09:59 PM

People give unwanted and unsolicited negative opinions on here all the time.

God forbid some proud trapper posts a pic of his new bobcat mount.
Posted By: Beavertrapper24

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/06/19 11:02 PM

Savage, You did nothing wrong I'm my opinion. I point out things like that to people as well. Little things like that bat can be twisted and be used to stop trapping and we need to keep an eye out for things that the uninformed public can take the wrong way however a PM might have gone over better. As for people giving you grief over it just don't worry about it everyone has an opinion and will give you crap about it so don't let it bother you T-man can be as bad as FB somedays in that respect
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 12:31 AM

It’s like tearing down statues and rewriting the history books.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 12:41 AM

I do not think that you did anything wrong tho I think a pm would have been better. That does not change the fact that he posted the pic. Does not matter if he was a cripple or not. As a pretty new trapper I appreciate all the advice that I can get. That includes what I should and should not include in pics that I take.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 12:50 AM

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 01:58 AM

So the guy likes trapping coyotes and is a huge baseball fan...what's the problem?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 02:55 AM

Yep... not only did you solicit your opinion where no one could give a darn, you did it to a guy who was taking a picture with his FIRST(as in he had never taken a picture like that before) coyote. Add to the fact that he is disabled so it can mean doing something we might consider simple in a trapping endeavor can be 10 times more difficult and you not only deserve a boot from the group you deserve a boot in your mouth. And even then as if you hadn't snubbed your nose up in the air high enough you come on here like you want some kinda support.

Are you serious or are you just funning with him...?

With that said, I don't post any trapping or hunting pixs on facebook. The general population is way, way too sensitive about most things. Its not worth my oxygen at this point...
Posted By: Bob

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 03:08 AM

It’s a bad idea to post pics of that nature, you’re not wrong on that. The trapping community should all know that. I don’t see anything wrong with calling out bad choices that could ultimately be used to take away our rights.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 03:44 AM

This 'group' that you joined, can anyone see what is posted on there? Or just members of that 'group'? Can any member of this faceplace see the posts? Just wondering. I have no membership there. Nor do I have any intent.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
It’s a bad idea to post pics of that nature, you’re not wrong on that. The trapping community should all know that. I don’t see anything wrong with calling out bad choices that could ultimately be used to take away our rights.

Correct
Posted By: LeviSS

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe

Using discretion does not mean sucking up to the anti's. It just means using your head and not feeding fuel to the fire.

I could give a rats behind what the Anti's think, but I'm not the only trapper in the country, and I don't want to do or say something that might hurt us as a whole.

Then again, I know the world doesn't revolve around me. Wish more people realized that.

Very well said.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 02:40 PM

22's are no longer that scarce nor that expensive.

Re: Was I wrong? - 11/07/19 04:47 PM

I don't think most of us think he was wrong and agree with his intent. But, a PM might have been a better option.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums