Home

Gun Safes

Posted By: Mr. Ed

Gun Safes - 11/12/19 06:40 AM

I am picking up a 64 gun, gun safe from Tractor Supply. I have seen a wire hanging off the front at times where the electronic lock is attached. What happens if somebody cuts that wire ? How do you go about getting into it ?
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:24 AM

If it is a Winchester, I gor mine from tractor supply and now I can not open it, as some how the code has changed on it on, not real happy.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 12:09 PM

I’d highly recommend something with a dial for various reasons. The electronic ones are cool but you’ll be replacing batteries. I personally hate that aspect of it. If it’s cold where you’re placing it, they can sometimes be difficult to accept the info you’re inputting. Dials are like revolvers. Reliable and work when you need them to.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 03:19 PM

Do you mean if the wire is accidentally cut inside the safe? If the wire was cut outside the safe, you could just splice the wire back together.

I always wondered how you would get into an electronic safe if someone just smashed the electronic lock with a hammer. I suppose you would need to call a locksmith or order a new control from the manufacturer.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by wvmntnhick
I’d highly recommend something with a dial for various reasons. The electronic ones are cool but you’ll be replacing batteries. I personally hate that aspect of it. If it’s cold where you’re placing it, they can sometimes be difficult to accept the info you’re inputting. Dials are like revolvers. Reliable and work when you need them to.

I agree for the above reasons. I have an electronic one that needs batteries now. I plan to replace it with one with a dial.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 03:43 PM

all the electronic ones ive seen came with an emergency key. on mine, you remove the key pad (twist off) and insert key. maybe others don't have this feature?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 03:44 PM

Get a mechanical dial type lock, don't be dazzled by bells and whistles.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 04:10 PM

Even the dial locks need dusting off inside every now and again, sometimes mine will get dusty or real cold and you have to dial it very slowly to make sure the tumblers fall when they are supposed to. I take the air hose to mine twice a year.

I'd rather dial slowly than worry about electronics being out so no access though !
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 09:36 PM

Mine came with emergency keys to open the safe when the battery dies or you forget the combo. Don't want to keep those in the safe or an easily found spot.
AND: FYI: There's a video on U-tube that shows you how to zip open the side of a safe with a $12 angle head grinder and 10 minutes of your time!
Posted By: James

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by waggler

That's what I thought too, until my second safe came with a electronic lock. The electronic is so much easier to open,

Jim
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by waggler

That's what I thought too, until my second safe came with a electronic lock. The electronic is so much easier to open,

Jim

Likely easier for thieves as well. At least that's what I've heard. But I've also heard most safes are just glorified fire-protection boxes. Unless you've got one built into a wall.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fossil2
all the electronic ones ive seen came with an emergency key. on mine, you remove the key pad (twist off) and insert key. maybe others don't have this feature?

I sold them for many years...they are like fossil say's
Posted By: Midwest Hunter

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:25 PM

I bought a liberty 8 years ago it had the electronic lock. I have only changed batteries once in 8 years. I am in and out of it a few times a week. If I could do it again I would go with the turn dial less to go wrong in my opinion but I haven't had any issues with the electronic one.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:27 PM

I have a browning with electronic lock, change the battery once in 5 years, and battery change is simple.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Gun Safes - 11/12/19 10:52 PM

No matter what brand you get (I got a dial. ) make sure it has locking bolts on at least 3 sides and all 4 is the best. Lot of the cheaper safes only have locking bolts on 2 side. If you cam get them on their back the can be opened with a pry bar. Google it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM
Posted By: dogdown

Re: Gun Safes - 11/13/19 12:16 AM

Seen one in a store with just the wires with a plug connector hanging out of where the e-pad was, the e-pad is just a coded switch, I believe. I would think if a person knew the voltage (DC) of the solenoid inside the door, they could just plug in or splice the required dc voltage and activate the solenoid. Or a person could just unplug or cut the wires to the solenoid and plug or splice their own coded e-pad and unlock the safe. Just a theory. Legal disclaimer, if this works, I am no-way responsible for the stolen firearms that may result from this theory.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Gun Safes - 11/13/19 12:27 AM

A Winchester 64 goes for 1000 bucks while a Liberty 64 goes for 2500 dollars.

For that kind of money, you could build an in home safe made of concrete and rebar, which no one could get into or carry off.

An old junk freezer, with a false poured concrete top, with a secure camo back entrance is cheaper yet, and you can clean game on it.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Gun Safes - 11/13/19 05:19 AM

I am just trying to keep honest thieves from stealing and all my guns in one spot. I have run out of room.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Gun Safes - 11/13/19 03:43 PM

Look this up on You Tube Opening your safe with a magnet
© 2024 Trapperman Forums