Home

Beaver ham

Posted By: loosegoose

Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:22 AM

I tried curing a beaver ham using the same recipe I use for my pig hams.. It came from a huge 58lb beaver,so it's a decent sized chunk of meat. It's okay, not my favorite but still good to eat. Interesting at least. I'm thinking I'll freeze it and use it to make soup. Anybody else ever try curing or making jerky with unusual meats?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:26 AM

I made jerky out of hummingbird once. Didnt get much though.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:52 AM

I posted some Beaver jerky pics last year.

Waaaaay better yield than Hummingbird jerky.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6208070/beaver-backstrap-jerky#Post6208070
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 03:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Beaver jerky that I make. Mostly out of the hindquarters with some backstrap as well. I've got a video 😁 n my process here...

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 10:34 AM

I've made lots of beaver jerky , all so grind lots of beaver meat ,
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 10:42 AM

Loosegoose what didn't you like? Did it turn out to salty? looks good

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin

It was a little gamey. Not bad, just a hint. Probably because it was a big older beaver. It'll still be fine in some ham and bean soup though.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 01:06 PM

Im waiting for the post on beaver kit kabobs
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I tried curing a beaver ham using the same recipe I use for my pig hams.. It came from a huge 58lb beaver,so it's a decent sized chunk of meat. It's okay, not my favorite but still good to eat. Interesting at least. I'm thinking I'll freeze it and use it to make soup. Anybody else ever try curing or making jerky with unusual meats?
[Linked Image]

It looks pretty darn good !!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by goldnut

Those are good stuffed !
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Those are good stuffed !

I have heard the tongues are quite a delicacy
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Originally Posted by PineDoggin

It was a little gamey. Not bad, just a hint. Probably because it was a big older beaver. It'll still be fine in some ham and bean soup though.

I have occasionally had "gamey" Deer actually get worse when stewed in chilly. You may want to test a small batch first, just in case.

Although, your oldest will probably get to the bottom of a pot either way! LOL
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:27 PM

Question for ya? Have you tried soaking the meat in milk and salt water over night to draw out the blood? (since beaver are trapped the blood is stuck inside (game taste) unlike slaughtered beef or shot deer etc)? I do that w/ the backstraps I usually get plenty of beav so I only take the straps get all the silver off... wrap in bacon for the grill or chunk for stew premo stuff! The hind quarters make perfect treats for outdoor dogs in the frozen winter time complete w/ bone to chew on for dessert! I had 4 labs they ate beaver all winter 1 ham each every other day made those pups strong, fat and warm inside for a cold N. Minnesota winter, sure knocked the dogfood bill down too!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver ham - 12/12/19 02:35 PM

The border collies I had in the past always had access all winter long to all the beaver they wanted and you could always see the difference in their coats. Besides the organ meat they just loved those back feet.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Beaver ham - 12/13/19 06:40 PM

I roasted beaver like a roast beef was always good
Posted By: jk

Re: Beaver ham - 12/13/19 06:52 PM

Beaver is good, I do not understand the gamey taste that you mentioned. We like bear too. Have not had good muskrat, must the cook......jk

Re: Beaver ham - 12/13/19 07:02 PM

I love beaver, I've got three in my freezer right now. The roasts I made from this one turned out fine. I wonder if the curing just didn't agree with it for some reason. In any case, I'll make beaver ham and bean soup with it this weekend and see how that goes.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver ham - 12/13/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jk
Beaver is good, I do not understand the gamey taste that you mentioned. We like bear too. Have not had good muskrat, must the cook......jk

There's something to beaver, at least with my jerky that is a bit odd but I don't know if I'd call it gamey. Then again I've never had what people would call gamey in all the years I've eaten deer, squirrel and other animals. Or in just used to it and don't know any better.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Beaver ham - 12/14/19 12:04 AM

I'd sure try it beaver flesh is delicious
Posted By: Finster

Re: Beaver ham - 12/14/19 12:30 AM

laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums