Home

Successful small business owners question

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 04:48 PM

Did the government help you or hinder you from becoming successful? Obama once said when he was president the government made you. Today on Fox News, the co-founder of Home Depot blasted the government and the politicians that keep demonizing successful business owners. He said he had to fight the government in every step of the way in climbing up the ladder.
Posted By: grumpa

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 04:51 PM

Hinder. Best advise. Buy low, sell high.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 04:54 PM

Hinder. Big business also has govt in their pocket making getting into many industries extremely difficult through liscensing etc.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:19 PM

Hinder. So much paperwork is a pain in the arse.
Posted By: corky

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:20 PM

Hinder. Regulatory maze is a nightmarish unproductive waste of time in many instances.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:24 PM

Definitely hindered me, especially in NY State. I too saw the interview with the founder of Home Depot, and he is absolutely correct that government and their regulations are a constant hurdle and road block . I’ve worked in the forest industry for almost 50 years and I could write a book on how idiotic laws, regulations and unreasonable bureaucrats stood in the way, and in NY it is getting worse.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by corky
Hinder. Regulatory maze is a nightmarish unproductive waste of time in many instances.

And that goes all the way from the local townships to the federal level.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:28 PM

They absolutely 100% get in the way of progress

You are penalized for creating jobs for others

Numerous agencies appear out of no where to rape and pillage any efforts you make towards self realiance

Liberal democrats create ridiculous labor laws in exchange for votes , resulting in a worthless workforce
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:31 PM

Hinder big time! Especially a greedy uneducated RM. They get you with property taxes.
Losers in town elect losers and anyone with common sense is ran out while everyone’s house falls apart.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:36 PM

Need more free trade and less gov't interference.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:38 PM

They hindered me to some extent but NOTHING compared to Europe. I couldn't imagine starting or owning a business here.

I remember Obummer saying that at the time and called BS immediately.

Government considers small business any entity that employ fewer than a few hundred people. I always thought small business in America was a business like mine... with between 0 and 10 employees. My wife and I owned and ran 3 different stores for 30 years.

Even my dealings with BATF and the IRS were never onerous. Maybe I was lucky.

Employees were my biggest pain in the butt.

Pete
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:44 PM

The only thing I fear is govt when it comes to business!

I shouldn't have to ask the federal govt permission to do anything! Should all be controlled at state lvls.

Then there is taxes.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:45 PM

Hinder. Every year more new regs that cost money to comply with. And increased fees. Soon as they see you make a dollar 11 different agencies each want a dime.

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:46 PM

The only thing our federal govt should be allowed to do is make sure trade and travel between states is fair and easy.

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 05:46 PM

So hinder ax 1000
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 06:03 PM

Hinder. All they seem to do is slow you down and oh boy are they greedy.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 06:11 PM

Hinder
Posted By: hippie

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 06:25 PM

Hinder.
It's easy for Obama to say that as everything he has, the gov't did give him. Most of us did it on our own.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Hinder. Every year more new regs that cost money to comply with. And increased fees. Soon as they see you make a dollar 11 different agencies each want a dime.

Perfect summation!

Chris
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 07:12 PM

Hinder. They put sales tax on my internet sales now.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 07:35 PM

hinder and in NYS triple hinder!
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 08:21 PM

HInder. Missouri is even charging sales tax on shipping. Ridiculous.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 08:37 PM

When has the government not hindered any one for any type of business ??

Does not matter if your the only one running a business, and you do everything your self, they still have reg's and rules for that one must follow. You don't send in annuals, you get dinged for late payments or a fine.

If any one thinks having a business in anything that may produce a living for you, with out intervention by any government entity, you need to be more educated about having one before getting involved in one !!
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
They absolutely 100% get in the way of progress

You are penalized for creating jobs for others

Numerous agencies appear out of no where to rape and pillage any efforts you make towards self realiance

Liberal democrats create ridiculous labor laws in exchange for votes , resulting in a worthless workforce

X2
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 10:54 PM

My business was very small, no additional employees and was a consulting business and the government actually was a resource and not hinder my business. I only ran the business for 7 years and found out I had a defective heart valve and some other issues so spent a year getting my clients to other sources. Well my new heart valve replacement went very well and other issues became stable so I really would not had to disband the company.

I spent 1 year working for NASS, which is an arm of the USDA and they hire people to do data collection on agriculture production, farms, farmers etc. I thought I would enjoy this and was recruited to be a supervisor. One year that involved in the federal government was all I could handle. We had a government shut down for two weeks during my year and it took months to get back on track as many of the surveys are time sensitive and or not annually done. That was the worst job I had in my adult working career.

Bryce
Posted By: cattails

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 11:20 PM

Just reading that question raised my blood pressure. Private enterprise is ALWAYS one step ahead of government. They have too many entities to answer to.
Posted By: cattails

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/21/19 11:37 PM

I remember when Obama made that statement ….I wanted to reach through the TV and choke him. lol.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/22/19 12:16 AM

The government has only hindered small businesses of mine and in two cases killed a sucessfull small business of mine, by law changes.

Keith
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Successful small business owners question - 12/22/19 12:28 AM

Absolutely no question....hinder! As a full-time taxidermist I had REAMS of repetitive forms/paperwork to fill out for each and every specimen I took in to work on. It was a royal pain. Some of the forms I had to keep for 6 years AFTER the item was delivered to the client at completion!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums