Home

straight razors

Posted By: sako22

straight razors - 07/27/20 11:55 AM

my dad passed away about a month ago and I acquired his straight razor collection. I don't know a thing about these. What are some good brands to look for? Thank you
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:09 PM

Post some pics of the razors....and close ups of the blades. That’s all I shave with...Straight Razors ! [Linked Image]

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:10 PM

I’ll see them tonight ...when I get home

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:18 PM

i can't really post pics from my phone. I will look at some of them and get names off the blades

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:39 PM

Names will help...but the condition of the blade is Paramount !

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:40 PM

Any C-Mon Cadillacs ?...Or Dubl Ducks ? ...or Filarmonicas ....

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 01:48 PM

I will check them out tonight when I get home from work
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 03:26 PM

Do they get worn out? I have several of grandpas I always wondered if the blade gets too worn to work good. Or why he had several?.
Dennis
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 04:48 PM

Sometimes the handle has as much value as the blade.
Posted By: RV6

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 05:11 PM

They usually don't wear out. The hollow grind prevents that. Its nicks and rust that are killers. I suggest hopping on the badger and blade forum to get more info than you need.
Posted By: EdP

Re: straight razors - 07/27/20 05:38 PM

A buddy of mine has used straight razors exclusively for the last 15 years or so. He keeps several so he can sharpen them as a batch rather than having to keep up with just one all the time.

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 12:47 AM

Excessive spine wear is a bad thing. The blade has to be tight in the scales.....and the blade has to close in the center of the scales/ handle. To check the pins ....open the blade and grab the shank and pull it up and down....to see if there is any play. It should be nice and snug
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by RV6
They usually don't wear out. The hollow grind prevents that. Its nicks and rust that are killers. I suggest hopping on the badger and blade forum to get more info than you need.

Now explain the badger thing. Alotta folks probly don't know that.
My Dad said he never saw his Dad shave himself.......Grandma always shaved him with a straight razor. He was a well-behaved man!......
Posted By: chas3457

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 01:46 AM

Gary, Shaving brushes are made with badger hair. smile

Charlie
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 02:45 AM

I knew that! Dad told me that many years ago. smile

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 02:47 AM

Shaving brushes are made with both Badger Hair and Boar Hair......Huge difference in price. You can get a Boar Brush for 12.00 ...that once broken in ,makes a ton of Suds. Badger brushes can hit the 300.00 range...but a Good Badger Brush with nice backbone will run 150.00 - 200.00 and are silky smooth on the face. And just recently....they have made a Synthetic Brush too.

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 02:53 AM

[Linked Image]

Boar Brush on the left 15.00......Simpson Polo 8 Badger Brush on the right 200.00....both get the job done.

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 11:41 AM

hey Nessie these are the brands of most of the razors that I have

Geo. wostenhome and son
dandercide
Palmer
Wellington
W.H. Morely
A. Witte
M. Jung
Waterville
J.Swiss
Winplex
Fox Cutlery
H. Boker
Geo. Worthington
Case
T. Noonan and son ( Boston )
Griffin
Joseph Elliot
Friedmann and Lauterjung
Gebre Korte
George W korn

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by sako22
hey Nessie these are the brands of most of the razors that I have

Geo. wostenhome and son
dandercide
Palmer
Wellington
W.H. Morely
A. Witte
M. Jung
Waterville
J.Swiss
Winplex
Fox Cutlery
H. Boker
Geo. Worthington
Case
T. Noonan and son ( Boston )
Griffin
Joseph Elliot
Friedmann and Lauterjung
Gebre Korte
George W korn

7-8 of those I’ve had . Boker, case, Fox, Elliot,wostenholm, Noonan, Griffin, Lauterjung.....all nice steel...Now condition is key ! Got any Stones ?

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 01:38 PM

good to know. they are all pretty nice condition. some have a little discoloration but edges are keen. no chipping or nicks. about all appear to be unsharpened. There is a small stone with the bunch. it is a black stone about 2x3 or so

Re: straight razors - 07/28/20 11:36 PM

Get me a pic of that Boker ....
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: straight razors - 01/27/21 09:55 PM

Don't sell them. I have a few, one Böker King Kutter 11/16th from the 20's I use sometimes.

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:03 PM

Not planning on selling any of them

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:17 PM

No pics ?

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:36 PM

Can't post pics from my phone Nessie. could maybe text you some sometime
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:39 PM

Interesting thread, thanks. I'm interested in giving it an honest try. It's environmentally responsible. We're trying to become a "no waste" family.
Posted By: Posco

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Interesting thread, thanks. I'm interested in giving it an honest try. It's environmentally responsible. We're trying to become a "no waste" family.

There will be blood. Wasn't that a movie?
Posted By: Posco

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 02:47 PM

I shave with a straight razor too, a friend of mine got me into it about twenty years ago, maybe a little more. There's definitely a learning curve to it, especially learning how to tackle the area around your chin an Adam's apple. Short, smooth strokes. Try not to overthink it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 03:56 PM

I don't shave now days....Didn't have the confidence to try a strait razor when I did.

When Stationed in Cleveland I went to an OLD Barber. The first time he cleaned up my neck with a strait razor was a near heart attack for me at 23.

His hand was shaking like a Dog trying to pass a Peach Pit.

When he made contact he was steady and smooth.

Tried to get a barber to give me a strait razor shave for my Wedding...He wanted to use a disposable razor...
Nope, I can do that...

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
I shave with a straight razor too, a friend of mine got me into it about twenty years ago, maybe a little more. There's definitely a learning curve to it, especially learning how to tackle the area around your chin an Adam's apple. Short, smooth strokes. Try not to overthink it.
[Linked Image]

Nice. My only reluctance is that I like to shave in the shower and don't need a mirror. I'm assuming no learning curve is going to get you there with a straight razor?

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Horn
I don't shave now days....Didn't have the confidence to try a strait razor when I did.

When Stationed in Cleveland I went to an OLD Barber. The first time he cleaned up my neck with a strait razor was a near heart attack for me at 23.

His hand was shaking like a Dog trying to pass a Peach Pit.

When he made contact he was steady and smooth.

Tried to get a barber to give me a strait razor shave for my Wedding...He wanted to use a disposable razor...
Nope, I can do that...

Lol, reminds me of my dad, shakes like a dog crapping razor blades. Pounds down a moose on the move at 270 yards right into the heart.
Posted By: Bob

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 06:55 PM

I’ve been looking for a good straight razor. I’ve been using one for about five years now but it’s the kind that has the replaceable razor, it was a gift from a friend. I would like to upgrade to an actual blade but I can seem to find one and honestly wouldn’t know how to care for one. The first time I shaved with a straight razor I knew I would never buy another disposable again
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: straight razors - 01/29/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I’ve been looking for a good straight razor. I’ve been using one for about five years now but it’s the kind that has the replaceable razor, it was a gift from a friend. I would like to upgrade to an actual blade but I can seem to find one and honestly wouldn’t know how to care for one. The first time I shaved with a straight razor I knew I would never buy another disposable again

DoVo or Boker are good brands to start with. A bottom end DoVo with phenolic scales shaves just as well as a top end DoVo with the exotic scale materials and gold wash on the blade. Above a certain price point you're just paying for aesthetics. I started with a DoVo Best Quality full hollow grind, 6/8 blade width with black phonolic scales.

Just an added tip: If you shave daily, consider owning at least 2 razors. It's recommended that a razor should "rest" for about 48 hours between shaving sessions... Something about the edge blah, blah, blah... Of course it's a good excuse to sell more razors too... Who knows.

You'll need a good strop... In my opinion 3" wide, minimum.

And like Nessy said about brushes... Boar bristle and badger bristle are pretty much the industry standard. I have both. I actually prefer the boar bristle for its lathering ability... It's a bit pokier when new but once it softens a little it feels fine and lathers well. The badger is soft from the beginning... But the bristles bend easier (less "backbone") which can be a minor annoyance.

Everyone has their own preferred lathering agent... Soap, creams, etc...

Having said all that... I sport a beard now and only use a razor to trim up... Just enough to keep from looking like a complete barbarian.

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums