Home

Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor

Posted By: Mitch777

Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:15 AM

When trapping coyotes in the past I double staked with rebar. Does anyone use anchors? If so how effective are they?
Thanks
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:35 AM

I use the bullet stakes on chain, and really like them. I used cable stakes for a few years, they worked but I had some that came apart at the crimp, I assume the dealer didn’t get them compressed enough but I switched to all chain after that.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:45 AM

Thanks
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:47 AM

I use super stakes with chain and won't go back to rebar. Too heavy and bulky to carry. Simple to wrap the chain around the trap and go.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:55 AM

Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 02:58 AM

Have used some form of chain or cable stakes on "round" stock since 1984. Won't use flat anything and will not go back to rerod. Wouldn't remember the angle after all these years (lol). But some have situations that call for individualized methods, where rerod makes sense.

I like not having 100 traps x 2 pieces rerod each x 1.5 lbs/rerod stake = 300 lbs of stakes + 300 lbs of traps in a pickup or buggy!

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 03:02 AM

Would 12” or 18” wolf fangs hold a coyote
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
Would 12” or 18” wolf fangs hold a coyote

Yes, no problem. (Depending on soil conditions)

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 03:42 AM

Thanks. We have some good sized coyotes in Wisconsin.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 04:09 AM

I've used both side by side for several years. After that I went back to rebar 98%. The only place anchors shine is when in pure sand or walking in. My truck isn't afraid of carrying rebar.

Contrary to popular belief I didn't find anchors to be a time saver unless you are cutting and running. They added time when pulling.

I went with chain after screwing around with cable for longer than I should have.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 07:24 AM

I use homemade earth anchors made out of 1/2 black pipe with cable have not had a problem yet. If it really a wet year I will also use 2 inch pogo's
j
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 07:33 AM

i use cable on wolf fangs never had a problem with them holding half of my line i have to walk in
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 09:53 AM

ive ran both with no problems holding coyotes. A low life with a good pair of side cutters can clip cable though.
I do run a lot of rebar still...im a cheapskate and earth anchors are about impossible to extract here in January when im pulling traps. Ground can be rock solid down a couple feet or so when temps hit zero or less.
I can tap and twist out rebar easily, and cross staking always holds for me.
I do run some cable anchors they are lighter to carry and areas i have to hoof it in definitely get those anchors. But I always end up cutting cable when pulling sets and replacing for the next season.
So yes for holding coyotes either one works. I like longer cables sometimes we get wet warmer weather and ground i trap can get pretty soft so either cross staking with longer rebar or using longer cable anchors works for me. Adding chain would mean I have to retrieve the anchor in frozen solid ground and chain can add little weight to the trap depending on chain type and length.
I do like bullet stakes just always have to bring the driver too. I use same driver for bullets and I ground the tip a little more pointy and I use it for berks too.
I also have some pogos. Get the 2" for soft soil. I like the smaller pogos on longer cable and I use those for my snares.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch777
When trapping coyotes in the past I double staked with rebar. Does anyone use anchors? If so how effective are they?
Thanks

I use bullet chain stakes and depending on hardness of ground pound them in 12-16". Use winch on atv to pull. Hear is the problem u will have after the ground freezes 6" or more. The bullet will come up to frostline and stop. Then either the winch or weakest link breaks or u remembered to bring a pick. Oh yea-pick handles break too!!!

Rebar comes out easier after freezeup but weighs a lot more like MJ said.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
I've used both side by side for several years. After that I went back to rebar 98%. The only place anchors shine is when in pure sand or walking in. My truck isn't afraid of carrying rebar.

Contrary to popular belief I didn't find anchors to be a time saver unless you are cutting and running. They added time when pulling.

I went with chain after screwing around with cable for longer than I should have.

I came there much the same decision for land trapping but still use disposables when water trapping ( mostly)
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 01:38 PM

Most of my trapping Is done after the ground gets hard. Then I use nothing but cabled earth anchors. It's hard enough to drive a earth anchor through 6" of frozen ground with a cable attached let alone having to drive one that is set up with chain. The surface area of a decent size chain has to 100 times greater then 3/32 cable.
But every situation Is different so you can't rule out the other staking options. A few years a go I went with smooth rod instead of re bar. I liked It a lot and will continue to use It. Some times double staking Is a necessity depending on your soil conditions.And you can do that with cable stakes and you will get the same results as when staking with re bar. Then I built some 3/4" angle iron stakes. With the added surface area they hold better then re bar but It takes a bit more hammer power to drive them. But for non frozen ground they aren't to bad. You do have more cost involved with adding a 1/2" bolt to the set up and the cost of the angle iron but they do work. But you can't twist them out of the ground they need to be pried out.
I for the most part cut and run. My stakes are free and my buddy just delivered 200 pieces the other day. So I'm good to go for a few more years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/01/20 01:47 PM

Get 'em Bev!!!

(I kinda miss frozen ground)

wink

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 09/02/20 02:21 AM

Thy. Appreciate your perspective.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 05:57 AM

Definitely Super Stakes
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 11:45 AM

Super stakes will hold an elephant around here with the right length of cable. Cross staked rebar holds well too but can get heavy if you hoof it in very far but retrieving rebar from frozen ground is much easier than bullets.
Jim
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 01:13 PM

I use anchor with cable and they hold large coyote just fine. I set in winter conditions and to date no issue driving them in frozen ground. I pull everything in Spring to prevent damage.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 01:36 PM

I ran super stakes 100% this year for the first time. I absolutely love them. I also can’t believe it took me 30 years to try them. I’m also the guy that still orders the same hamburger at Wendy’s that I tried and liked in the late 80’s. I’m a stick with what works guy.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Get 'em Bev!!!

(I kinda miss frozen ground)

wink

You're doing peote or something crazy
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 02:21 PM

Does anyone leave the disposable with cable in and use them the next year? Or do you think they would deteriorate to much in a year's time?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 02:33 PM

Often as I move traps, I have quit the anchors and back to rebar. Well kinda, I use one rebar stake and a 3/8 crosspin out of smooth cold roll to lock it, works good and saves weight in the yota.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 02:39 PM

I used to use 18” rebar in my rocky clay loam soil. Always had trouble driving them. Have had a few get pumped out. Switched to wolf fang anchors, and never had a coyote pump one of them out, and I can drive them without issue.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 02:43 PM

Except for few 3Ns on badger mounds all I use is Wolf Fangs on my coyote sets never had one fail on me.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 02:54 PM

Wolf fangs here!!!

I buy them and add my own cable.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MnJag
Does anyone leave the disposable with cable in and use them the next year? Or do you think they would deteriorate to much in a year's time?

That depends greatly on the type of ground you’re setting in and where you live (amount of moisture per year, Ph of your soil, etc...) I couldn’t do it here our soil would eat them up.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 03:37 PM

[quote=Mark June]Have used some form of chain or cable stakes on "round" stock since 1984. Won't use flat anything and will not go back to rerod. Wouldn't remember the angle after all these years (lol). But some have situations that call for individualized methods, where rerod makes sense.

I like not having 100 traps x 2 pieces rerod each x 1.5 lbs/rerod stake = 300 lbs of stakes + 300 lbs of traps in a pickup or buggy!

[/
Same here, I'll never use stakes for traps again, I prefer my homemade angled pipe anchors

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Often as I move traps, I have quit the anchors and back to rebar. Well kinda, I use one rebar stake and a 3/8 crosspin out of smooth cold roll to lock it, works good and saves weight in the yota.

Lee, I was having second thoughts last year when I tried them for exactly the same reason. I built 3 different pullers and they all about killed me. I finally made a hybrid of what June uses and absolutely love it. Game changer for me. Looks heavy but it’s not bad.

Attached picture 3FFCFB26-01AB-4ACC-8213-356F1F22E85B.jpeg
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 03:55 PM

I’ve been replacing strait 18” cable with 12” cable and about 4 to 6” of chain . If I hit something hard and can’t drive 18” deep I won’t have cable sticking out of the ground. My ground is tight enough to hold with a good 12” in the ground and a wolf fang at the end. I’m setting up a few dozen with shock springs and 30 to 32” of chain and a 20” rebar stake for frozen ground. Most years I have frozen ground by the end of the year, I can get wolf fangs in the frozen ground , I just can’t get them out easily. The rebar is not hard to remove from the frozen ground and will easily hold a coyote with or without frozen ground with the long chains.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 04:16 PM

If your making your own fang set up I like to leave a loop at the fang with a little more cable so it’s not super tight and then you have the cable being worked harder then I’d like it to be.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
I’ve been replacing strait 18” cable with 12” cable and about 4 to 6” of chain . If I hit something hard and can’t drive 18” deep I won’t have cable sticking out of the ground. My ground is tight enough to hold with a good 12” in the ground and a wolf fang at the end. I’m setting up a few dozen with shock springs and 30 to 32” of chain and a 20” rebar stake for frozen ground. Most years I have frozen ground by the end of the year, I can get wolf fangs in the frozen ground , I just can’t get them out easily. The rebar is not hard to remove from the frozen ground and will easily hold a coyote with or without frozen ground with the long chains.

This^^^^^^^. I run shock springs on all my yote traps, and makes it nearly impossible to pull the stake. Have found myself running shorter stakes than in the past, and I can hook those stakes out pretty fast and don't hurt myself doing it. It is my preference, not trying to convince anyone, but my way and I'll stay with it.

Re: Coyote staking - Rerod vs disposable anchor - 01/24/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball

I should do that^^^

My Wife got me this
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums