Home

Poacher sentenced

Posted By: Spade

Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:30 PM

A Chippewa County man is losing his hunting privileges for life for poaching wolves and bald eagles.

Kurt Duncan faced 125 wildlife crimes for poaching numerous animals, including 18 gray wolves.

He was sentenced in Chippewa County under a plea agreement and will serve 90 days in jail, as well as 18 to 24 months on probation.

Duncan was charged with three counts of illegal possession of wolves and bald eagles, as well as one count of illegal commercialization of a wolf.

Duncan also lost hunting privileges in 48 states and must also hand over all firearms and snares.

Was this stiff enough for this guy? No fines mentioned in news release.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:36 PM

NO.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:39 PM

I don't like poached eagles,,I like them baked.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:53 PM

I thought some people were saying wolves were a problem and now they hate this guy for doing something about it. I think the punishment is good, heck he lost his guns thats worse then any jail time or fine.
Posted By: beeman

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matt28
I thought some people were saying wolves were a problem and now they hate this guy for doing something about it. I think the punishment is good, heck he lost his guns thats worse then any jail time or fine.

No, what would be worse if the fine was so large that he had to sell his guns to pay his fine.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:57 PM

too stiff. wolves and eagles both need thinned out. need to change the regs on them
Posted By: Kre

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:59 PM

It doesn't matter what we think of wolves or eagles.

The law is the law and the law says we can't kill them. Simple.

Please let me know if I need to dumb this down further.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 08:59 PM

Eagles are national birds he should have been sent to federal prison
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:04 PM

Is there a legal defense fund set up for him so we can donate??
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:09 PM

He should be moving to those other two states. It'll ruin his life as he knows it where he's at now. Learn his lesson, pay his debt, and start a new in a new location.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:10 PM

It's not the idea that there are to many, it's the idea of doing it at all that needs to be corrected !

If the sentence is not stiff enough to make others think about their loss it just keeps happening. Just look at Chicago with their murder rate, its in orbit, because these miscreants know nothing will happen to them !!

Same with poachers it's difficult as get out to track them down with out any witness's let alone make them cry for doing it, but take away everything that was involved doing it then others may think twice about giving it a go !!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I don't like poached eagles,,I like them baked.

Still cant b any good all they eat is roadkill around here. Nuttin but a white headed buzzard!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:21 PM

Let the landowners decide the punishment. They're who feeds them. The State claims ownership of all the deer here, gets all the license fees, all the fines, yet the private landowners provide food and shelter. Do they get reimbursed for crop damage? Heck no. It's not right.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 09:36 PM

What about the black eyes it gives law abiding hunters and trappers? This isn't just an err in judgement, 125 game law violations, that is a whole butt load of judgement errs
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005

I don't think a poacher should be housed with rapists and murderers. He killed some animals. Do you want our taxes to pay for a long term jail sentence?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:10 PM

On the other hand, I wouldn't want him living around where I live.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:15 PM

Lousy poacher getting caught like that.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:36 PM

What this guy got caught doing has absolutely nothing to do with legal hunters and trappers. Wolves, even if only because of an AR lawsuit, are back on the Federal Endangered list in our area. This dipstick wasn't doing any of us any favors with his wink-at-the-law horse crap. It will be used against us all. I hope they scare the living stuff out of anyone thinking about doing the same thing. As for him moving to one of the only two states that aren't part of the Wildlife Violator Compact....good riddance, hope he enjoys Massachusetts or Hawaii. We law abiding Michigan sportsmen will not miss him.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:45 PM

I think its crap for him to lose his rights to have firearms..............not sayin its right what he did.................
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
I think its crap for him to lose his rights to have firearms..............not sayin its right what he did.................

They didn't actually say that, just that they confiscated the guns he had, but it looks like it could be felony charges and if so, your assumption would be correct.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 10:53 PM

Does he have a "go fundme page"? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 11:04 PM

Sentence looks good to me, hope folks understand he is a criminal and not a sportsman or hunter.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/14/20 11:05 PM

We're the wolves actually wolves or did they have mixed DNA. Because he pled out i guess we'll never know.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:13 AM

Update on this case from the 7 and 4 news, a little more info:

CHIPPEWA COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- A Chippewa County man accused of poaching numerous animals, including 18 gray wolves, has lost his hunting privileges for life after a poaching investigation.

Kurt Johnston Duncan, 56 of Pickford, pleaded guilty to seven poaching crimes in September.

On Tuesday, he was sentenced to the following:

Pay $36,240 total
Lifetime revocation of all hunting and trapping privileges in Michigan; including that he may not assist anyone else in any hunting or trapping activities. With this privilege revoked, he will not be allowed to hunt in 48 states that are members of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
90 days of jail time; 30 of which will be held in aside should he violate probation.
18-24 months probation.
Forfeiture of all items and evidence seized by the DNR during the execution of search warrants, including, firearms and snares.
According to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Duncan committed numerous wildlife crimes of various species, including wolves, bald eagles, deer, turkey and bobcat within an 18 month time period.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:14 AM

You guys don't get it it is just another thing the antis get to use against us. And trust me they will. A law is a law don't like it vote to change it don't support a crook or they will say we are all that way.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:18 AM

what does killing animals have to do with being a crook?

im guessing he made money off them. money for wildlife is what the heads of wildlife departments really hate. unless it is them getting it.
Posted By: GUK

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005

Eagles are just buzzards in tuxedos. Beautiful birds with really nasty feeding habits.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:20 AM

king of england hanged poachers. all game belonged to the king. somehow we have returned to that philosophy
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:51 AM

^^ I completely agree with Danny on this issue. Good posts Mr. Clifton!

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 01:07 AM

Doesn't breaking the law make you a crook? Or are we at a point where we pick and choose what laws pertain to that?

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 08:53 AM

A crook is someone who steals.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 08:55 AM

If you are forced to go to south central LA are you going to be armed? That is against the law. Will you be a “crook”?
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 10:31 AM

He most likely didn't pay for a license to take bobcat, deer and turkeys so yes, he is a crook. He stole those animals from us, the legal hunters and trappers who wait most of a year to harvest them legally. Plus he stole the pleasure of many by killing the eagles and wolves that many people enjoy seeing.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
A crook is someone who steals.

I agree, tend to think of a "crook" as someone who fleeces others.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
He should be moving to those other two states. It'll ruin his life as he knows it where he's at now. Learn his lesson, pay his debt, and start a new in a new location.

I agree
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I agree

No telling how many years he went without being caught. Being legal obviously wasn't important to him to begin with I would think it would be less so after the convection. Probably just teach him to be more cautious and less cocky. Few people ever really change. Moving would be smart.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by beachcomber13
He most likely didn't pay for a license to take bobcat, deer and turkeys so yes, he is a crook. He stole those animals from us, the legal hunters and trappers who wait most of a year to harvest them legally. Plus he stole the pleasure of many by killing the eagles and wolves that many people enjoy seeing.

Ask a rancher in SD what kind of a pleasure Bald Eagles are.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by beachcomber13

X2
Posted By: Boco

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 02:14 PM

There are poachers most everywhere.Poaching,like some other criminal behaviours tends to run in families in this area.Infact there is one family name here that is connected to poachers.Anyone with that last name whether a poacher or not is automatically assumed by the public to be a poacher just because of their last name,lol.Probably the same elsewhere.
The ones I know of would rarely ever be in danger of being caught.Many are already known to the authorities but difficult,or near impossible to catch because of the way they operate.
There is a big difference in my opinion between those career poachers and someone who inadvertently breaks some obscure law that they may not have even been aware of.

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 02:17 PM

It amazes me how easily people are brainwashed. I am surprised what lengths humans will go to in order to be part of a herd

Chickens will all gang up on another chicken peck it to death and eat it.

Humans are a lot like that
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Poacher sentenced - 10/15/20 02:20 PM

My opinion depends on why he was killing them and what he was doing with them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums