Home

Trail Camera

Posted By: SGT. C

Trail Camera - 10/19/20 07:20 AM

Looking to get one. Need reviews and opinions. Never used one before. So, I'm needing one a dummy could operate. I don't have a smart phone or a computer at home. But do have access to a PC @ work. Looking for one that won't break the bank.

Just figure it's time to have a look and a little fun to see what I'm missing. Thanks for your help. Sarge
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 09:41 AM

wild view , from menard 's good pic , don't go thru battery , and easy to use , an cheap to buy ,
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 10:03 AM

Look at browning cams
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 10:28 AM

Get the most expensive one you can afford and an extra chip.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
wild view , from menard 's good pic , don't go thru battery , and easy to use , an cheap to buy ,

2X
We also have Muddy & Hawk cameras from Menards, I can buy (4) for the price of one of my Moultrie cameras.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 11:25 AM

I didn't have any luck with spy point, stealth cam are my favorite for deer, wildgame silent cam are the best for coyotes but night pics are grainy, just got 2 brownings and their triggers seem very sensitive (get too many pics of nothing during the day. That my total experience so far.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 12:14 PM

Mine that have lasted the longest^^^^
Posted By: Posco

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I just got 2 brownings and their triggers seem very sensitive (get too many pics of nothing during the day. That my total experience so far.

Does your camera have a sensitivity setting on it? Auto, high and low are fairly common setting options. Sun, blowing grass and whatnot can give you nuisance triggers.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 03:41 PM

Just starting out? Then go to Walmart and buy the cheapest they have and set a couple out. If you like what you see, then try Browning’s. I have 4-5 that are about 4-5 years old or older. Great pics and battery life, plus you can see the pics on the actual camera. And if you really get into that, you can purchase cell cams and be at work or home and watch that coyote/cat/etc get caught in your trap.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 04:35 PM

You wish to see pics that are actually viewable, then don't be cheap ! Get at least a medium priced camera, as you use it the features will come into play for you, you will be money ahead.

There is a learning curve in everything we do, you just need to figure out if you wish to enjoy what the learning will bring you, or be satisfied with not having gone thru it for what you get !
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 05:33 PM

Covert cams make a great trail cam in run 6 of them Covertcams.com
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 06:28 PM

wildgame innovations for me. I have had good luck with them and they are cheap enough.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 08:04 PM

Tell me more Roy. Whats the price and do they have sensitivity settings?
Posted By: ebfarmer

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 08:29 PM

I use Coverts, MP-8 Blackout. I have one that has been on the same tree, taking pics, for four years. i change the batteries in the spring, and again after deer season, it takes pictures year round. I really like the blackout over the flash, coyotes don't even notice when it goes off. I have three of these and the only failures I have had is when someone destroyed one on the tree, it was cabled and they couldn't steal it.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 08:44 PM

wildview , from menards run around 39-49 dollars each some time cheaper on black friday , easy to work with , i have posted pic on here from camera , wolf coyote, fox , bobcats , an deer fisher , never had a problem , with a good picture , o I have 13 cameras out at one time so I need one that is easy on battery , just my point of view , wife bought me a stealth cam , it took c battery an would go thru a set every 5 days frown

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 08:46 PM

wildview , from menards run around 39-49 dollars each some time cheaper on black friday , easy to work with , i have posted pic on here from camera , wolf coyote, fox , bobcats , an deer fisher , never had a problem , with a good picture , o I have 13 cameras out at one time so I need one that is easy on battery , just my point of view , wife bought me a stealth cam , it took c battery an would go thru a set every 5 days frown

Do they have a sensitivity setting Roy?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 08:50 PM

Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
You wish to see pics that are actually viewable, then don't be cheap ! Get at least a medium priced camera, as you use it the features will come into play for you, you will be money ahead.

There is a learning curve in everything we do, you just need to figure out if you wish to enjoy what the learning will bring you, or be satisfied with not having gone thru it for what you get !

This. Get one good enough to know what you are getting. I started ultra cheap and then saw my buddies picture from a slightly more expensive camera. Wow I regretted that choice. Somewhere around $125 will get you a good Browning. I would go dark ops right off the bat now. Detection and trigger speEd are very important.

Re: Trail Camera - 10/19/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy

$28 from Walmart [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For those places it won’t upset you too bad if it goes missing.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Trail Camera - 10/20/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
wildgame innovations for me. I have had good luck with them and they are cheap enough.

X2
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Trail Camera - 10/20/20 01:10 AM

Bernies video on trail cameras has all the information you need, Iv been using trail cameras since moultrie came out with the black box with the camera in it..
I learned things I didn’t know from Bernies video...
Posted By: trap master

Re: Trail Camera - 10/20/20 11:46 PM

good video bernie, interesting points
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Trail Camera - 10/21/20 12:43 AM

I have a couple of the tasco's from walmart that i have been happy with for entry level trail cams. Plus i think the replacement warrenty from wal mart is just few bucks for a 2 year replacement.
J

Re: Trail Camera - 10/21/20 12:50 AM

Anyone remember these? One of those was my first foray into trail cams. Load it up with 35mm film, put it on a tree, wait as long as you could stand it...about three days for me...take the film to the drug store to get developed and then suffer massive disappointment.

Then guys starting hacking cameras and making 'homebrews' out of Sony P32s and other digital cameras. Those were a huge advancement but you still had the white flash that alerted everything on the planet of your camera location.

I've owned quite a few brands and finally settled in on the Walmart Bushnell cameras. They're a hundred bucks a pop but I find them to be a durable camera that takes good pics, has good trigger speed and great battery life.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trail Camera - 10/21/20 01:36 AM

Why do you think a white flash scares them?
Lightening, falling stars, etc...watched a camera go off (scared me) and the deer didn’t seem to mind. Could barely make it out as it walked on by. It wasn’t the flash of the older versions, it was the noise from those cameras that spooked deer.

Re: Trail Camera - 10/21/20 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Why do you think a white flash scares them? It wasn’t the flash of the older versions, it was the noise from those cameras that spooked deer.

That's not an opinion shared by everyone.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Trail Camera - 10/21/20 01:59 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is two different ones.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Trail Camera - 10/23/20 08:57 PM

[Linked Image]
From a cheap walmart camera that is insanely simple to use.

Re: Trail Camera - 10/30/20 09:17 PM

i buy these 28 each,walmart. Super easy to use
......one is 3 yrs old,one is 2 yrs old,1 died after a yr. extra 2 yr guarantee 2 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DorwrkvbI
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Trail Camera - 10/30/20 10:09 PM

Wild game innovations terra 12. 38 bucks at most stores. I have 14 of them and all are great . Some are 4-5 years old. Just got 4 more last week Walmart had them for 37.87 .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trail Camera - 10/31/20 01:12 AM

Wild view
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Trail Camera - 12/04/20 03:21 AM

I saw wild view were on sale at Richards (yes I know but a bargain is a bargain) and remembered this thread. I picked up a couple at 24.99 each and got free shipping. Can't wait to try them out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums