Home

Went swimming and lost my rifle.

Posted By: Providence Farm

Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 03:35 AM

I was inspecting a bank den and run with my paddle 3-4' off the bank on a nearly vertical stripper pit lake when I nearly flipped. I went back an forth then all the way over. It was about wast deep with steep drop off. I could in no way get up the bank to drain the kayak so figured it looked like I could still paddle it to the other end where my traps were and the bank flat to drain the boat. Then I saw my rifle was gone. I felt around a bit and felt nothing and moved on to the getting out of the water plan.

The boat was 1/4 full of water and riding low all seemed good enough. I headed out to the middle so I could make time and avoid going around all the down trees and logs by the bank with the now unresponsive kayak. A few minutes in I thought the front of the boat looked like it was getting higher in the water. Am I imagining things,,? Then I look behind me and see the back of the boat is 1" under water and the drain holes on top are submerged and she is filling fast.

I head straight to the bank still steep but no longer shear and managed to get the boat out of the water and upside down to drain. I had to tie it to a tree to keep it from sliding back into the lake while draining.

Getting cold at this point and far enough down the lake I can walk down the edge with some effort I go to check my traps while the kayak slowly drains. I had one small beaver, remade the set and went back to the boat. Leaves has plunged the drain holes so I cleared them and waited for it to drain. It finally did and I made it back to the truck loaded everything up, stripped down and headed home.

It was warmer than yesterday the lake was open water and I didn't have to bust through the thin ice. What a morning.

I ordered a 1000lb rated salvage magnant tonight so the end of next week when it arrives I hope I can recover my rifle if I didn't stomp in to deep into the silt. Also it is stainless so not as magnetic as carbon steel.

I thought that kayak was quite stable untill today's event. I loved it because I could carry it with one hand and load it easily. Now to shop for something as handy but more stable especially with some weight like traps ,beaver, and drowing weights. Maybe something good enough to carry a deer. But that is a tall order to fir in a 6' bed pick up.

A lucky day indeed.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 03:48 AM

Vinky on here has the boat you're looking for.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:01 AM

I thought this was another ...what guns? I lost them in a boating accident ...post. Good luck in recovery, be careful.

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

How would o find a picture or link to his boat.

On the bright side I honestly lost my rifle in a boating accident if they ever want to come collecting. I wont even be lying. Alway a siliver lining if you look.;)

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:07 AM

I pmd him about the boat

It was really Stable ...he used to make lots of posts in that boat

Impressive
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:10 AM

Just put an outrigger attachment.

Dad always taught us to tie all guns and gear to the boat with a quick clip. Yes, we Had probably 10 short cords made of quarter inch nylon tied all around the boat with dog clips on the ends.

Good luck.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:33 AM

Hope you find your gun buddy
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:39 AM

Sounds like a heck of an adventure! Glad you are safe!
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 05:06 AM

Scary adventure for sure, happy to hear you are able to write about it and share it..

On a positive note here for you, most firearms of stainless are not that high of grade for a magnet of that strength to not grab it, if you can get to it, it should snag it pretty well.

Most don't believe stainless is magnetic, however it really is with the right magnet !

Good Luck !!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 05:27 AM

Wow that's an adventure for sure. I glad you're safe. I hope you can find your gun
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

That was my thought. Removable outriggers add a lot a stability in a small package.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

That was my thought. Removable outriggers add a lot a stability in a small package.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

How would o find a picture or link to his boat.

On the bright side I honestly lost my rifle in a boating accident if they ever want to come collecting. I wont even be lying. Alway a siliver lining if you look.;)

Keep it hidden there, you will never have to worry about it being confiscated.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 07:51 AM

12 foot semi v with a 5 hp outboard. When you load it in your pickup set the stern up against the cab. Then set the motor and gas tank in the stern. put all your fur in the boat. On the bow you need to put in a bolt with a loop on the end. Tie a piece of good nylon rope on that loop. You want 10-12 feet of rope off each side of a square knot. The rope never comes off. Use it to tie the boat in. Six ft bed and two foot tailgate let down you will be fine.

If its feasible just take the motor with you of an evening. Leave the boat chained and padlocked to a tree. You can also stash stuff where ever you can get to in your pick up. Like under bridges. More traps for example when your setting, or a pile of wet coons/beaver when your checking so not to get overloaded again. You can also row one if your determined to do it the armstrong method.

this already has a ring on the front. If you look around you can find a used one for 500 or less
https://directboats.com/pro12.html
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 07:54 AM

You can set the stern up on the tail gate by yourself. Then pick up the bow and push it into your pickup. You absolutely dont need a trailer for one this size.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 11:28 AM

glad your ok , hope you get your rifle back
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 11:30 AM

God wasn't ready for you yet. Too much work to do in this life. I'm glad you made it out safe. Hypothermia is no laughing matter. Maybe the plan was for you to get a magnet for your new hobby of fishing with one. Like you said, look for the silver lining. Take care
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 11:39 AM

I've used a garden rake to find bodygrips that beaver had got loose with. When a rake touches the metal you can hear/feel it immediately through the handle. Good luck finding the rifle.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 12:32 PM

I've always imagined two kayaks side by side like a catamaran boat. Lots of storage area. Very stable. Break it down and it still fits in a pickup truck.

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I've always imagined two kayaks side by side like a catamaran boat. Lots of storage area. Very stable. Break it down and it still fits in a pickup truck.

I do have 3 kayaks and a 17' canoe. We are a family of 5. Its just enough to get us on the water to play in the summer. That 1988 fiberglass canoe is heavy for one man and unlike most canoes is hard to turn it wants to track straight and takes a few hard backwards j strokes to get it to turn. But I think it will work well for our family since my daughter's injury to her shoulder she still had limited movement. So I can paddle her around. If not for that I would happily sell that boat.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 01:37 PM

Glad you came out of that only missing a gun, could have taken your life in cold water

I bet the magnet will work

Otherwise I would check and see if anyone local has a scuba setup and a wetsuit and willing to go get it
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 01:50 PM

Your magnet might not stick to your stainless gun, some stainless isn't magnetic. Try a rake or you might need a diver if it's really deep. Good luck

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 02:28 PM

No answer from Vinky on the PM yet
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 02:50 PM

Could have been much worse.My shotgun is still laying on the bottom of the dead water where I lost it duck hunting 3 years ago.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 03:49 PM

Most firearm stainless is 400 series which will be magnetic to a lesser degree than mild steel, but should be able to recover your gun. The 300 series-304,316, and 330 are not much attracted to a magnet.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:08 PM

We tried treble hooks. Didn't work. I found mine with my foot in neck deep water. Redfield's weren't waterproof at that time.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:13 PM

This is what I made for my canoe, there adjustable in and out, up and down or come completely off

Attached picture floats.jpg
Attached picture floats1.jpg
Attached picture floats2.jpg
Attached picture floats3.jpg
Posted By: Posco

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:16 PM

Well done.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 04:23 PM

haven't seen anything from Macthediver in a while , he is the underwater recovery expert

he might just roll out of the boat with dry suit on and metal detector in hand and come up 5 minutes later with your gun and 4 others
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Went swimming and lost my rifle. - 01/09/21 05:26 PM

It was a situation like that about 3 years ago that convinced me I am no longer 8 ft. tall and bulletproof anymore and I do not get into my kayak without a life vest anymore.

I agree...Macthediver would know what to do!

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums