Home

Speaking of the future of this website

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:04 AM

I don't have a definitive plan for this place when I croak. It's going to happen some day, and I really need to figure that out. I like to have things planned out. I have someone wanting to buy Dobbins' Products along with Trapperman, but I haven't sat down and discussed the details of how the transfer of Trapperam will work. There are certain things that I'd want to see continued, but I don't think I'd have much control from the grave.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:05 AM

Just don't sell it to James....lol
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:06 AM

Well Paul, it is always a good idea to plan ahead, but lets hope it isn't necessary for many years to come.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:07 AM

All I can say is get things in writing and have a lawyer write it up.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:10 AM

Well I hope it’s many years away but it is inevitable. Glad there is someone interested and I hope they can continue the great products and trapperman
Posted By: nate

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

That's funny.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
All I can say is get things in writing and have a lawyer write it up.

A legal contract with the buyer can give the receivers of your estate or your will's executor the power to see that the things you want continued on Trapperman are continued.

Keith
Posted By: SJA

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Well Paul, it is always a good idea to plan ahead, but lets hope it isn't necessary for many years to come.

When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that in itself is a choice. If you fail to prepare, you may be preparing to fail.

Always best regards,
SJA :-)
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I don't have a definitive plan for this place when I croak. It's going to happen some day, and I really need to figure that out. I like to have things planned out. I have someone wanting to buy Dobbins' Products along with Trapperman, but I haven't sat down and discussed the details of how the transfer of Trapperam will work. There are certain things that I'd want to see continued, but I don't think I'd have much control from the grave.

You will still be able to vote in future elections. May not be your choice, though!
grin

Chris
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:23 AM

But let him write up the terms.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood

DITTO!!
Posted By: yousowise

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:27 AM

I’m part of a beekeeping forum that was sold in the last year or two. The new owner commercialized it, it’s full of adds now. I understand the need to make money, but it seems like an add pops up every 30 seconds too much in my opinion.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:38 AM

Or use his legal services...
Posted By: Finster

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:44 AM

I don't know you personally Paul. I assume you don't have any heirs? A contract will be the only way to really keep it going. The only way to hold someone to that after (God forbid) your passing would be to pay a retainer to a law firm to keep an eye on the agreement. That's going to run into some cash for sure. Perhaps starting a donation for such a thing wouldn't be a bad idea? Maybe figure out a way to make all donations anonymous so no one could hold it against anyone? Just spit balling here.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 01:59 AM

Just have it in your will where Wolfdog is head moderator. Everyone will be kept in check then, and entertained!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:04 AM

Im glad your thinking about it. Not that Im sure I will outlive you. It would be nice if it continued long after all of us are dead.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:31 AM

Gee Wilikers Boss
Do I need to start one of them Go Fund Me things so I can buy up like a 20 year supply of Backbreaker to have in reserve in case of emergency?

I think what I’d do is probably put it on ebay if I quit trapping or get more trifling and after I kick the bucket we can split the profit. Just look for a envelope from me with burnt edges, aint got a clue where in heaven you’d cash it.
LOL.

I will probably get ripped off on extra postage trying to send mail to heaven from where I will probably be!
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:37 AM

OK to plan but not to worry.

Old Willie Nelson said something about a waste of time and tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2PK7_NMZ4
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:40 AM

These are the types of conversations/topics people hate. Sometimes they are the most important to address. Been dealing with it at my business over the last couple years buying out my mentor. He is at ease in his mind knowing the plan is in place and in motion. Now we just go about business and enjoy working each day together.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:50 AM

Having been here since almost the beginning and meeting and enjoying so many people and made so many friends here and in my travels, I would be lost with out the place being here, just knowing the history.

If your thinking about it, then its time to have the plans made up, and it still will take time to do cause the first drafts always cause a second look to clear things up better.

Also would like to add that if a like minded individual to the art of trapping and fur handling is running the place instead of just some one with dollars to put it in their hands, there is a better chance of it remaining longer as it is than as a money changer for the other.

I'm aware that most do not like to see their mortality flare up like this, with these questions and do apologize for being so frank and up front, however taking measures and making arrangements now prevent problems down the road for others you care about !

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:52 AM

Make a simple Last Will and Testament with YOUR stipulations and wishes. Name an Executor of YOUR choice with the condition that should they not be willing, or able to fulfill said LW&T that a secondary Executor will be named to carry out such duties as YOU have set forth within the document. YOU can do this without an attorney if you wish. Such LW&T must be witnessed, and signed by at least two persons. In some cases, it doesn't even have to be recorded with your Register of Wills Office. You should however always consider attaining legal advice in your State if you have any doubts or questions regarding such matters.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 03:20 AM

I think Steve Gappa will do a wonderful job running the place and have the most honest easy going moderator's we've ever had on here, lol

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Also would like to add that if a like minded individual to the art of trapping and fur handling is running the place instead of just some one with dollars to put it in their hands, there is a better chance of it remaining longer as it is than as a money changer for the other.

I'm aware that most do not like to see their mortality flare up like this, with these questions and do apologize for being so frank and up front

I wouldn't turn it to anyone other than a trapper that I had the utmost trust in.

My mortality doesn't bother me.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:02 AM

My vote is for Patrice! A trapper, volunteer and very thorough on any undertaking she pursues!

Chris
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:40 AM

Let Canvasback run it !! grin
Posted By: Posco

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:41 AM

Whoever it is, they'll be smart if they don't mess with Colonel Sanders recipe.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

grin

Not a pleasant thought Paul...but Good that you can handle the making of formal transition

This place is Quite the Family!!!

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

grin

Not a pleasant thought Paul...but Good that you can handle the making of formal transition

This place is Quite the Family!!!

No, it's not. Great site, solid people.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 05:49 AM

Jtrap talks like he cant even walk any more so if the doctor gives you terrible news just think what a great custodian he would be in an easy chair pullin all his hair out! grin

All kidding aside I think you are smart to plan ahead but we all hope you will be around runnin the show for years and years to come.

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
All kidding aside I think you are smart to plan ahead but we all hope you will be around runnin the show for years and years to come.

I'm planning on being around for quite a spell, but I've also got to plan for the unexpected.
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 05:55 AM

I may be new here, but I see the value in this website as it offers a community for all of us especially in a world that is shunning us more and more.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 06:14 AM

I'm planning on being around for quite a spell, but I've also got to plan for the unexpected.

You are right- it is the responsible thing for a man to do. Not for himself but for his spouse and children. You are the only one of us who has a site like this for a child. I commend you for all that you have done for us trappers near and far- young and old!
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 06:19 AM

Good to plan, and as someone who might still be on this site after you're gone, I thank you for it!

Many nonprofits are set up to convert to a board-managed trust after the founder passes on or retires. You can select the first board of trustees and write the charter. The board can hire managers or make changes only by vote, according to your terms.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 06:55 AM

I vote you take it with you. Shut her down in respect to your memory. Lock it up and throw away the key. Take the lure and bait recipes with you as well. Unless your family really needs the money that is. No one is gonna be able to fill your shoes and do it all up to snuff anyway. Better for it to go out on top than get beat down little by little, with incompetent leadership, and go out in a pile of trash.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 06:56 AM

Someone would need to keep it going ADC.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Why? Its great now but what would it be with new management? I don't know of anyone that could pull it off.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 07:12 AM

Wolfdog

He's young got a good head on his shoulder and smart
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Furvor
OK to plan but not to worry.

Old Willie Nelson said something about a waste of time and tears:

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by AJE
Why? Its great now but what would it be with new management? I don't know of anyone that could pull it off.

I was thinking the same thing. We assume what Paul does is a labor of love and a source of pride and satisfaction that may not translate to whoever comes after. Who else is going to sniff their fingers to see if they got the batch right?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I was thinking the same thing. We assume what Paul does is a labor of love and a source of pride and satisfaction, that may not translate to whoever comes after. Who else is going to sniff their fingers to see if they got the batch right?

Trappers need a forum like this, guys.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 11:51 AM

It is, without a doubt, a labor of immense love.
All of it.
And finding anyone to labor, with the same passion, and experience, is difficult.

We pray you find the answer Paul.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 11:57 AM

No Croaking Please.

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 12:05 PM

^^^^^^ Yes, what Bernie said. grin
Those Bevs need a gittin'
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 12:07 PM

Sell it for big bucks, change back to your old name, then come on and chew up the thorns in your side,

Don't think you'd do that but the thought did occur lol.

Many are wondering the net worth, and that's none of our bees wax.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 12:13 PM

Maybe a collective of three persons for website decisions and management, with equal ownership. All with clearly understood directives for the site drafted by yourself. Include whatever "what ifs" you think of for future changes. And lastly a roadmap for ending or disbanding, God forbid that day comes. I have a similar plan for my hunting land and cabin, I plan to pass to my grandsons. It even includes my timber management wishes / suggestions. But times change and one can only wish and pray for so much. As we will be in the here after.
Posted By: flash

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 12:36 PM

Also been around for close to day one. I have no answer Boss. I do know it would never be the same without you behind it all.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/10/21 02:08 PM

Need a template?

Follow Rush LImbaugh and the EIB network.
Posted By: John C

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 04:28 PM

Just read this aloud in my office here and I've got two ladies in front of me that want to make sure you've got the hobby wine making part sorted out for perpetuity. wink
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
All of it.
And finding anyone to labor, with the same passion, and experience, is difficult.

Blessings,
Mark

How about you Mark? grin
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 04:48 PM

Bossman Dobbins,

If yer planning going belly up, Can I have your traps ? laugh

walleyed

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by John C
Just read this aloud in my office here and I've got two ladies in front of me that want to make sure you've got the hobby wine making part sorted out for perpetuity. wink

John, I have some Skeeter Pee ready if the ladies in your office want some.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 05:15 PM

As a first generation Trapper, Trapperman was my alma mater. I’d hate to see it go away.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 05:25 PM

When it is all said and done you have to do what is best for you.

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/11/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
When it is all said and done you have to do what is best for you.

This ^^^

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
All of it.

Blessings,
Mark

How about you Mark? grin

I'm spread so thin as peanut butter on a loaf of bread now, that I have to ask my Genesis 2:24 bride too often, "Am I holding up the man's end of this marriage?" One more straw could tip and break the camel's back.

Besides, Paul has another 50-75 years to go and I can't last that long.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 01:09 AM

I hate change so hang in there Paul. whistle
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Yes Please!
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Me too!! My wife is having me go over our final plans again. Like you I am not afraid of my demise but of the mess that I would leave behind.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 12:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Paul if I'm in the will a few bottles of this fine elixir would be greatly appreciated. Here's to to many more years of one of the finest men in the trapping world.

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
[Linked Image]
Paul if I'm in the will a few bottles of this fine elixir would be greatly appreciated. Here's to to many more years of one of the finest men in the trapping world.

Bandy, you need to drink that $100 bottle of wine before it goes bad. I hear it can go bad in 5 - 10 years.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 01:26 PM

Hopefully I will be pulling the cork before to long saving it for something special and it is worth every penny of that 100.00 dollars.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Speaking of the future of this website - 01/12/21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Law Dog

Yes Please!

As they say "change is inevitable and the resistance to change is inevitable."
© 2024 Trapperman Forums